• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Foobar setup

Sokel

Master Contributor
I hope this will help some friends setting up Foobar.

You have to download the latest version here (better download the 32bit version as 64bit is new and old components don't work with it)

For DSD:
You have to download and install the following:
foo_out_asio+dsd
foo_input_sacd

from here:

Restart and go to Preferences>output and configure it like this:
(buffer length may vary,set it according to your needs)

output.PNG

For DSD playback go to Preferences>SACD and configure it like this:

DSD.PNG

For DSD playback you can't use volume control and all levels must be at 100% or else you will experience static noise,cracks,pops,etc.
You can skip DSD possessor (set it to "no" if you don't intend to resample,etc.

There are hundreds of other components,skins,etc to add if you like according to your needs and aesthetics.
For example I use the following skin (DarkOne) which it's a little trivial to install but it's nice:

view1.PNG

view 4.PNG

(has more views but you get the idea)

That's the most basic set-up I can think of,feel free to add,correct,ask,etc.
Hope this helps a little.

OP
Sokel

Sokel

Master Contributor
looks good. If you wanna be really nice add links to the extra plugins/themes.
And I'd also include the ABX plugin, maybe more people will try it
The skin is here,is in German and I hope our German friends can help when the translator can't.
It's highly customizable and I'm sure our developers friends here can work miracles on it.
Many of the plug-ins come with the skin.
IT DOESN'T WORK WITH THE 64bit VERSION!

To install you have to first install Columns UI as with the most foobar skins:

OP
Sokel

Sokel

Master Contributor
Couple of more things:

As many friends here use EQ like APO,etc,they must know that ASIO will bypass it so may not be the right choice for them.
They can use shared outputs instead.

If you want to use ASIO for matching samplerate,DSD,etc plus EQ there are a lot of EQ plug-ins.
The one I use is MathAudio (there is a version for headphones too with more settings mathaudio.com/headphone-eq )
The former needs a measuring mic and is dead simple to use.

You can also use VST installing official VST adapter or some others I have seen around.

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Nice, thanks, I use Foobar in a windows 7Pro, I think I downloaded the 64b last week, but to me it woks fine. The few plugins I had were ok.
But I only play FLACs.

OP
Sokel

Sokel

Master Contributor
Nice, thanks, I use Foobar in a windows 7Pro, I think I downloaded the 64b last week, but to me it woks fine. The few plugins I had were ok.
But I only play FLACs.
It's been only a couple of months since beta 64 v so plug-ins are still adjusting.
It won't take long.

Aerith Gainsborough

I'm guessing you have a windows skin running?
I'd love for the ability to get rid of all the white in Foobar but I'm not messing with my operating system.

OP
Sokel

Sokel

Master Contributor
I'm guessing you have a windows skin running?
I'd love for the ability to get rid of all the white in Foobar but I'm not messing with my operating system.
If you're only discomfort is white install columns UI and choose dark mode.
Literally one click.

dark.PNG

Edit:Of course you have to choose Columns as display first,forgot about that:

display.PNG

Last edited:

Aerith Gainsborough

Tried it.
Ugh, if there is one thing I always despised about Foobar it is having to mess with the layout. I NEVER could get the hang of it and make it look the way I want to.

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tried it.
Ugh, if there is one thing I always despised about Foobar it is having to mess with the layout. I NEVER could get the hang of it and make it look the way I want to.
It is quite messy indeed, too many options. The beauty of free software...
I use ColumnsUI/dark as above with some extra config for the columns. The config is quite powerful but also complex and not particularly intuitive.
There are many how-to-s online, with a bit of luck you'll find one that matches your wishes

Last edited:

marses

Hello all.
Question @Sokel . This config, plugin prevent resampling right even for PCM? (usually I use exclusive).

Thanks for the knowledge share.

ThatGuyYouKnow

I just use good ol' WASAPI Push with a 500ms buffer in foobar and everything operates flawlessly. I know some say you can't stream DSD with it, but you can at least with the Topping and SMSL DACs I've used. Sample rates change instantaneously.

Attachments

• foobar.jpg
    foobar.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 156

regan

I just use good ol' WASAPI Push with a 500ms buffer in foobar and everything operates flawlessly. I know some say you can't stream DSD with it, but you can at least with the Topping and SMSL DACs I've used. Sample rates change instantaneously.
What dacs did you use?

OP
Sokel

Sokel

Master Contributor
Hello all.
Question @Sokel . This config, plugin prevent resampling right even for PCM? (usually I use exclusive).

Thanks for the knowledge share.
You mean resampling by the windows?
Yes,it prevents that,it plays the song as-is.

OP
Sokel

Sokel

Master Contributor
If it works-it works.As long as the DAC reports "DSD" on it's display or whatever the song is.
The only thing is that wasapi push is a little dated,event is a better choice if it also works.

marses

Not sure this is the right place. If you listen using exclusize with asio, if for example you accidentally open another audio source, it will cause the driver to glitch. Sometime require to on / off your dac to make it work if not your source would be muted the whole time.

OP
Sokel

Sokel

Master Contributor
Not sure this is the right place. If you listen using exclusize with asio, if for example you accidentally open another audio source, it will cause the driver to glitch. Sometime require to on / off your dac to make it work if not your source would be muted the whole time.
Have you check the windows mixer device's advanced properties to see if the boxes for exclusive control are ticked?
Sometimes that does the trick.
Other than that wasapi exclusive should not be interrupted by anything,that's it's purpose.
I would try ASIO (+DSD if you want that also) too if I were you,at least that's the drivers designed for each dac.
It's also a good idea to assign a different source for default in windows mixer.

marses

Cool. In the mixer I've found this as well
1675898740663.png

Previously I got "Give exclusive mode applications priority". Unticked it already.

Thanks @Sokel

Top Bottom