• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Foobar setup

thin bLue

Reviewer
큐ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ.gif

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ltAvwN8Bwd81lvLHCCFqZRQGyKR9OY91/view?usp=sharing

1. Open foobar2000
2. Ctrl + P
3. Components Tab, Click Install, Install each components in the Folder '컴포넌트'
4. Copy and paste the Folder 'foo_vis_vumeter' in to C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\components and C:\Program Files\foobar2000\components
5. Open foobar2000 again
6. Ctrl + P
7. Display - Default User Interface Tab, Click the Import Theme. Select 'Theme of Nub JK Precision Foobar 2.fth' . Below v2.0 use 'Theme of Nub JK Precision.fth'

I just made my preset fully importable for everyone!

thin bLue

Reviewer
View attachment 285249

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ltAvwN8Bwd81lvLHCCFqZRQGyKR9OY91/view?usp=sharing

1. Open foobar2000
2. Ctrl + P
3. Components Tab, Click Install, Install each components in the Folder '컴포넌트'
4. Copy and paste the Folder 'foo_vis_vumeter' in to C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\components and C:\Program Files\foobar2000\components
5. Open foobar2000 again
6. Ctrl + P
7. Display - Default User Interface Tab, Click the Import Theme. Select 'Theme of Nub JK Precision Foobar 2.fth' . Below v2.0 use 'Theme of Nub JK Precision.fth'

I just made my preset fully importable for everyone!

And LAVFilters for Youtube!

큐ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ.PNG

thepiecesfit

I noticed with some tracks. I can still play YouTube in the background when ASIO is reporting PCM mode, but DSD mode is always exclusive. Is there anything else I need to check? Topping DX3 Pro+ here.

OP
Sokel

Sokel

Master Contributor
I noticed with some tracks. I can still play YouTube in the background when ASIO is reporting PCM mode, but DSD mode is always exclusive. Is there anything else I need to check? Topping DX3 Pro+ here.
Check #18,19 and 20 post on this thread and play with this setting.
ASIO (either DAC's ASIO writing or ASIO+DSD) should be exclusive.

thepiecesfit

Check #18,19 and 20 post on this thread and play with this setting.
ASIO (either DAC's ASIO writing or ASIO+DSD) should be exclusive.
The only exclusive one I have for topping is Default: Speaker (TOPPING USB DAC) [exclusive] which shows ASIO is not active according to the Topping Control panel. I managed to get somewhat of a workaround by changing the default windows playback device while using ASIO+DSD in Foobar2000.

jeffbook

boxerfan88

Hello fellow foobar users, I need some help and advice.

I was using foobar with 2 concurrent visualizations, namely foo_enhanced_spectrum_analyzer and foo_loudness_peakmeter.

A few weeks back I heard very occasional dropouts, and while trying to diagnose the cause, I noticed that foobar cpu utilization is almost 100% most of the time while playback is going on. I have already done the basic tuning like increasing output buffer to 2000ms, WASAPI exclusive buffer to 50ms, enable MMCSS, set MMCSS to "Pro Audio". The situation seems to improve and I think I do hear some dropouts on rare occasions.

2024-01-25-20-58-29-Task-Manager.png

As part of diagnosis, I moved the visualizations into tabs such that only one is displayed (active) at any one time. The CPU utilization dropped with this change.

With foo_enhanced_spectrum_analyzer tab active the foobar cpu utilization now hovers around the 90% mark.

2024-01-30-17-45-19-Task-Manager.png

When I switch to foo_loudness_peakmeter tab to active, foobar cpu utilization drops even further (hovers around 60%).

2024-01-30-17-46-12-Task-Manager.png

I can now conclude that foo_enhanced_spectrum_analyzer is the highest contributor to the cpu utilization, and foo_loudness_peakmeter is the second highest.

Problem is -- I like to have both visualization running together as eye candy. :)

Question is - does anyone know if there is a way for me to configure foobar to run those visualizations on different processor cores ? For example, setting processor affinity for both visualizations to a different processing core other than the one that foobar is running on?

Thanks in advance for any advice/guidance/pointers.

Owis

I have a question regarding SACD ISO playback via foobar:

Im using a 2Ch system

As SACDs are hybrid having a 2Ch and 5.1 mix I can select either when importing the file. The bitrates are…

5.1 - 16934kbps. Plays at 6800 - 7600kbps variable (using the 5.1 >stereo plug-in)
2Ch - 5645kbps<Plays fixed at that rate

Is there any theory or benefit in playing the 5.1 at the higher bitrate on a 2Ch system? Both sound amazing and it maybe placebo but I believe the 5.1 mix sounds slightly more detailed

Thoughts…

2tec

I'd say no and the file sizes are likely to be larger but you can use foo_abx to test whether they do actually sound different.

OP
Sokel

Sokel

Master Contributor
I have a question regarding SACD ISO playback via foobar:

Im using a 2Ch system

As SACDs are hybrid having a 2Ch and 5.1 mix I can select either when importing the file. The bitrates are…

5.1 - 16934kbps. Plays at 6800 - 7600kbps variable (using the 5.1 >stereo plug-in)
2Ch - 5645kbps<Plays fixed at that rate

Is there any theory or benefit in playing the 5.1 at the higher bitrate on a 2Ch system? Both sound amazing and it maybe placebo but I believe the 5.1 mix sounds slightly more detailed

Thoughts…
Downmixing to stereo is not going to be the same with the actual stereo as the context of the rest of the channels will somehow add in a way which we don't know (unless you check the algorithm).
I would play everything as is but if it's fun why not?

Mantra

Top Bottom