• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2nd Gen 4i4 3rd Gen output sound difference

zaba

Hello all,

I had a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2nd Gen that I have been very happy with, using it for playing/recording instruments and also simply listening to music on my computer.
I recently sold it to buy a Scarlett 4i4 3rd Gen because I needed two extra inputs, and I was surprised by the output sound that I found different than the solo ! (not talking about plugged instruments, I know inputs are supposed to be different, just about internal DAC/sound output).

When listening to music, there seems to have lack of bass and low mids, and on the opposite emphasis on high mids and treble. Soundstage seems wider maybe. To put in on other words, the sounds feels more "monitoring" than the solo. It's not bad in itself, but I feel it's less agreable for listening to music.

I emailed Focusrite about this but they told me that the DAC and sound should be the same.
Am I becoming crazy ? I am used to psychoacoustic effects but I'm very sensible to sound and feel there is a difference...
(Of course, I checked that everything is fine with windows and drivers and tweaked every settings).
Note that I bought a "b stock" version, but I suppose that if the interface would be faulty I would have "real problems" instead of just a different sound signature.

I am even thinking about returning the 4i4 to get a used 2i4 2nd gen that would samely fit my needs and sound like the solo, the difference being with input preamps and RCA outputs instead of jack outputs, I guess it doesn't matter that much.

Thank you in advance for your help, I feel a bit confused about the sound difference I experience.

(first time posting here, I hope it's the right forum :)

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I would try taking some loopback measurements, with emphasis on crosstalk (maybe using RMAA). The circuitry in these is not balanced front to back, and this sounds like a bad ground connection in there somewhere, possibly a hairline crack in the board as the result of a drop. Might be why the unit was returned in the first place.

You didn't say what you are using with the interface, but I take it you have your monitors on line out 1/2 or 3/4? You could try the other pair to see whether that makes any difference.

What you describe sounds very much like what you get with high shared return return impedance on an unbalanced connection though.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
First welcome to ASR as a first time poster.

I concur with what you've already been told. Doing some loopback measurements of frequency response is a good first step to seeing if there something wrong you can tell Focusrite about.

In case you didn't know here is where to get RMAA that AnalogSteph mentions.

REW would be even better, but has learning curve if you've not used it before.

OP
Z

zaba

@AnalogSteph @Blumlein 88 Thanks for your replies !
Yes I use the monitor outputs 1/2. I also tried 3/4, they sound the same.
I'm not sure I fully understand what you say " high shared return return impedance on an unbalanced connection" but I guess it's about cables.

The difference in my setup compared with the solo is that I was using the solos's RCA outputs, and now using the 4i4 jack outputs with a jack/RCA adapter on the same cable plugged into speakers. (yeah I know it's probably not ideal, will probably buy jack cables but didn't assume this could make a sound signature difference.

Thanks about RMAA too, I am trying to analyze with it, still struggling a bit getting a "waveform couldn't be recorder properly" at the end of the test but will try to make it work !

OP
Z

zaba

Finally ! For some reason it didn't work in 48Khz but I could get data at 44.1Khz
Here are the results; I'm not really sure about what's good or bad here.

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_4.png

Screenshot_5.png

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_6.png

Screenshot_7.png

Screenshot_8.png

Screenshot_9.png

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your unit is definitely faulty.

The frequency response graph should be dead flat, crosstalk is too high, THD too...

I would return it ASAP.

(I have a Scarlett 2i4nd Gen and measured it. It is dead flat and clean.
I also have a Solo 3rd Gen, and the sound is the same.
Only issue with those is drivers being not stable.)

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
When listening to music, there seems to have lack of bass and low mids, and on the opposite emphasis on high mids and treble. Soundstage seems wider maybe.
Try a mono signal and a sound panned full-right and then full-left.

There MIGHT be a way with the "wrong" TRS to RCA adapters to get left-right difference signal. (You can get the same thing if a headphone has a broken ground.) This creates a center-channel "vocal remover" effect where all of the centered sounds are lost (including the bass). If you have this problem a mono file will be nearly silent and you'll loose stereo so panned sounds won't pan.

OP
Z

zaba

Thanks a lot for your help guys ! @DVDdoug I tried, nothing wrong happened but I hope I did it the right way.
I think I will return the unit and get a brand new one anyway, I still can as I just received it, and also buy fresh new cables without adapters so I will be sure.

Have a nice evening all of you :)

Top Bottom