• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Kantas 2 - Will they be underpowered with my amp?

dman777

I like Focal Kanta's 2. I have heard them in a store off of a McIntosh 1200 amp which was 350 watts the 8 ohms. The speakers are 50-300 watts rating at 8 ohms. Right now I have a Yamaha AS-3200 which is only 100 watts at 8 ohms. Is that going to significantly under power the focals?

D

Deleted member 48726

That will depend on your,
listening volume,
listening distance from the speakers,
taste of music

mikethep

I'm using a Benchmark AHB2 (100 watts) with them in a room 8x15x25. Lots of orchestral music, prog rock, jam bands. Clipping lights never come on. Seems to be enough power for loud enough listening.

D

Deleted member 48726

I'm using a Benchmark AHB2 (100 watts) with them in a room 8x15x25. Lots of orchestral music, prog rock, jam bands. Clipping lights never come on. Seems to be enough power for loud enough listening.
Useless info without listening position and SPL.. :)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I like Focal Kanta's 2. I have heard them in a store off of a McIntosh 1200 amp which was 350 watts the 8 ohms. The speakers are 50-300 watts rating at 8 ohms. Right now I have a Yamaha AS-3200 which is only 100 watts at 8 ohms. Is that going to significantly under power the focals?
If you have money for a pair of $10k speakers then if your Yamaha does not play loud enough I imagine you could afford a more powerful amp. That said, you would probably get more for your money with speakers from Revel or KEF. Keep shopping.

mikethep

Useless info without listening position and SPL.. :)
Just now I was getting at most 82 dB C-weighted peaks a few inches in front of my face on GD live at Capitol Theater, 1971, from about 12 feet away from the speaker plane. That's as loud as I think it's reasonable to listen to it. No strain. No flashing clipping lights.

D

Deleted member 48726

Just now I was getting at most 82 dB C-weighted peaks a few inches in front of my face on GD live at Capitol Theater, 1971, from about 12 feet away from the speaker plane. That's as loud as I think it's reasonable to listen to it. No strain. No flashing clipping lights.
Thanks. That's something useful the OP can compare with.
Great attitude that you didn't take offence and went ahead and measured it. :)

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
About 4.5db difference in output potential compared to 300W. 3db is a slight but noticeable difference in level.

D

Deleted member 48726

About 4.5db difference in output potential compared to 300W. 3db is a slight but noticeable difference in level.
And a note that doesn't get mentioned much IR to what may appear like a small number;
this can also be the difference between clipping or no clipping, high distortion vs. no distortion.

OP
D

dman777

My room is about 12" x 26" feet. I do not really have a listening position because I end up walking around when listening to music multi tasking. Listening volume can be between 55 db to high 70s db, depending on my tinnitus.

Music is Electric dance, alternative (ie Dinosaur Jr), 90s music, classical, jazz.

Ciobi69

My room is about 12" x 26" feet. I do not really have a listening position because I end up walking around when listening to music multi tasking. Listening volume can be between 55 db to high 70s db, depending on my tinnitus.

Music is Electric dance, alternative (ie Dinosaur Jr), 90s music, classical, jazz.
You are fine with your amp

Avp1

I see a possible issue not with low overall power, but with the fact that Kanta has impedance of 3 ohms around 100Hz, where there is a lot of volume needed to reproduce upper bass. Yamaha is not a high current amplifier (See Stereophile measurement). Thus you may find it clip at high bass volume with these speakers. When speakers are specified for power level of 300W, it mostly means that you will need separate power amplifier to drive them.

Avp1

Benchmark amplifier almost doubles power with low impedance loads. This is not exactly how Yamaha behaves.

OP
D

dman777

I see a possible issue not with low overall power, but with the fact that Kanta has impedance of 3 ohms around 100Hz, where there is a lot of volume needed to reproduce upper bass. Yamaha is not a high current amplifier (See Stereophile measurement). Thus you may find it clip at high bass volume with these speakers. When speakers are specified for power level of 300W, it mostly means that you will need separate power amplifier to drive them.
So with the clipping, I would take a chance on damaging $11k speakers?

Avp1

So with the clipping, I would take a chance on damaging $11k speakers?
I do not think you really damage them, unless you turn volume all way up. But sound quality suffer greatly if clipping happens. If you spent $11K on speakers, you likely have ability to buy powerful amplifier to drive them.

D

Deleted member 48726

I'd say you probably would be okay with the Yamaha. Don't sweat it and if you hear some distortion once you don't destroy anything in that second. Then you know the limit and you can then upgrade your amp if you want. I wouldn't upgrade it beforehand.

The Yamaha A-S3200 is a high quality amplifier.

Galliardist

Major Contributor

The combination is borderline: if you move to the very back of a 26 ft long room (that's over 8 metres), and the distance given in the question is "walking around", it may not be sufficient. High 70dbs listening implies peaks over 90db and EDM suggests those peaks in the range where the low impedance lies.

The only way to find out for certain is to try it, as the room's contribution may settle it one way or the other. I'd budget for a replacement amp before buying those speakers, in case it is needed.

As an aside, the impedance issue seems to creep up close to 200Hz with this speaker, making it harder than most to fix with subs, which would be an alternative way out with a lot of speakers which have that impedance dip at a lower frequency.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Focal Kanta's 2
Even though Focal say these are nominal 8 ohm speakers...

1018FoKan2fig1.jpg

(@Galliardist, sorry didn't see your post)
The impedance does stay above 8 ohms through the treble, and above 6 ohms in the low- and midbass regions. However, the Kanta No.2's impedance drops below 4 ohms between 80 and 180Hz, with a minimum magnitude of 2.97 ohms at 105Hz (fig.1). In addition, the electrical phase angle has an extremely high value between 70 and 90Hz, where the impedance magnitude is low. This speaker will work best with amplifiers comfortable with a 4 ohm load.

impedance.png

... there is a fair amount of phase deviation in the No.1's bass region too.

JSmith

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I believe the OP doesn't listen to music that loud .. 55 dB to high 70's was said ... Current amp is fine.

Peace

Top Bottom