• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal elex question

Harvester of sorrow

Forum Donor
I was about to pull the trigger on a pair of the focal elex headphones. I was looking on eBay and there are several pair being sold for parts or not working with One side not working. Is this a common problem with these headphones? one

3125b

Major Contributor
Yes, seems common. The Elex has the 80 Ohm drivers of the Elear, wich seem to be especially prone to failure due to breaking voice coil wire.
That being said, my Elear is almost five years old and works absolutely fine and sounds fantastic to me.
If you decide to get one, don‘t EQ the hell out of it (no boosting the sub bass by 10dB or whatever) and don‘t drive them at unreasonable levels (check the volume setting on powerful amps before plugging it in, the usual high listening levels are fine). You can hear when the drivers are getting unhappy and the coil is hitting the magnet, don‘t do that too often or they will be destroyed.
I would say that they aren‘t a great buy used unless you get them cheap and with little to no wear. Just like French ... everything, really :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom