• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone amps for HIFIMAN HE1000

Hello everyone.

“I have a pair of HIFIMAN HE1000 V2 headphones on the way, and I already own a decent DAC (SMSL DO300). I’m looking for a balanced headphone amp and a pre-phono to enjoy headphone listening with a turntable (AT-VM740ML).
My budget is $1000. Can you recommend any SMSL or Topping solutions, and which ones would work well?
I have also heard about integrated solutions that combine a headphone amplifier and a phono preamp, similar to some Cambridge Audio products . These solutions offer the convenience of having both functionalities in a single device.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The headphone amp built into some Cambridge phono pres is little more than an afterthought.

I know of no device that combines a phono pre with a high quality headphone amp, so I think you'd be better off buying separates.

Any one of Topping's or SMSL's headphone amps will do the job equally well, so you can choose based on price, features, design, warranty without fear of losing out on sound quality.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an SP400 amp and it pairs well with a 5 volt DAC and think it's got all the features. The A70 Pro has even more power and the definition of transparency.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I’m looking for a balanced headphone amp
Balanced headphone connections are a gimmick. With some headphone amps you can get twice the voltage (+6dB louder) but there are other ways to get twice the voltage (or more) and hopefully you don't need to max-out the amplifier anyway.

On the other hand, a balanced input (a balanced connection between the preamp and headphone amp) can help to prevent/eliminate some noise problems (if you have noise problems). ...But the weak signal from a phono cartridge combined with the high-gain phono preamp (which amplifies any hum/noise) tends to be more of a problem. And there is record surface noise and sometimes audible hiss or hum from the preamp itself (especially at high gain/loudness with headphones).

with a turntable (AT-VM740ML).
It's OK with me if you want to play records, but records haven't been "high fidelity" for about 40 years. :p Actually, it was never that great but it was the best most of us could do at home.

OP
W
“Thank you DVDdoug for your reply. The primary use is listening to lossless files from my DIY HI-END audio PC (search in my old posts). I have some vinyl records, and it would be a shame not to enjoy listening to them through that headphones. Also, at my age, the nuances of sound remain beyond the reach of my hearing because physiologically, I can no longer hear frequencies up to 14 kHz.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Won't work with the HE1000. That one can only be used with electrostatic headphones.

As @ static V3 already mentioned, get a headphone amp that has at least 2 inputs and buy a separate phono amp.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Depends on the functionality (of both) and your requirements.

Balanced in/out ?
How loud you want to play
What cartridge do you have on your vinyl rig
What HE1000 ? (I would assume the v4)

Any amp that can provide > 0.25W in 32ohm will be more than sufficient meaning just about any Topping amp will do. You just have to either look for one with 2 inputs or use one with 1 input and a separate input selector + separate phono.

A30 Pro has 2 selectable inputs. You can also use the balanced input as RCA input (using a converter cable/connector) so you would only need a phono pre .

Last edited:
OP
W
Depends on the functionality (of both) and your requirements.

Balanced in/out ?
How loud you want to play
What cartridge do you have on your vinyl rig
I already told Audio Technica VM740ML as cartridge on AT-LP5X turntable, I have smsl DO300 DAC (very nice) on the gear. 95% of music (flac) from my hi-end DIY audio pc

solderdude

Grand Contributor
So you will need a 'regular' MM phono pre and A30Pro.

for instance:

This all will cost less than half your budget.

Top Bottom