• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Elear DAC recommendation

imGamba

Hi!
I recently bought an Elear headphone but I'm quite lost in the amp/dac's world... I know there are from 50 to thousands of dollars, but currently, my budget is very limited. Also, I know there are differences in the dac's type of sound, I want simply to enjoy music without spending another bunch of money. By the way, if it has more presence on the bass would be fantastic :D
Normally I listen to a very different kind of genres, some POP, oldies POP-Rock, Brazilian rhythms: pagode, samba, bossa nova; some of "electro-pop", old and new jazz, live music, among others.
My limit budget for the amp/dac is 300 usd, if it's cheaper better...

Regards,
Alejandro.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
If you need portability, the Topping NX4 DSD.

If you don't need portability, the Khadas Tone Board (separate case) + JDS Atom.

If you value a finished product and can spend maybe just a little bit more, the Topping D50 + JDS Atom.

If you want convenience of a single box and don't need portability, the Topping DX3 Pro.

All have been measured here on ASR, you just need to do a search to see what suits your needs better.

Calexico

You could audio try smsl Sanskrit 10th with a good 5v power supply or maybe usb battery bank and buy a tube headphone amp little dot :)
Nothing can recreate tube enjoyment :)
Or aune t1se

Nango

Major Contributor
Or try the newly here good tested VMV VA2 formerly €135 now disc'd offered at €46 incl. dHL shipping in EU. As a DAC the Khadas TB with box. All-in well below 200€ !!!

Crane

Forum Donor
I think this question has been asked and answered so many times, there be an ASR guide with price range/type pinned thread about it. :D

OP
imGamba

imGamba

Hi again!

Today I tried the M-Audio Bass Traveler in my local dealer in which just one of the employers knew about Focal brand... The Elear driver didn't move at all... I'm wondering if my unit has come failed or if that amp isn't the right one.
Anyway, I wouldn't buy the M-Audio amp...
The Topping DX3 Pro looks good.
Anyway, If someone wants to recommend me another one will be very welcome!

Thank everyone who have replied! It's my first time on a forum :)

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Hi again!

Today I tried the M-Audio Bass Traveler in my local dealer in which just one of the employers knew about Focal brand... The Elear driver didn't move at all... I'm wondering if my unit has come failed or if that amp isn't the right one.
Anyway, I wouldn't buy the M-Audio amp...
The Topping DX3 Pro looks good.
Anyway, If someone wants to recommend me another one will be very welcome!

Thank everyone who have replied! It's my first time on a forum :)

The Elears are actually very easy to drive, there is no reason any headphone amp cannot drive it even for basic levels. Do check if your wires are connected properly in case you got a failed unit.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
M-Audio doesn't even say what OP amp they use, they only say: Compatible with headphones from 16–100 ohms
He really need better hardware than that for such an expensive pair of headphone. I always say that the price of the dac/amp has to be the same as the headphones, so he has a long way to go ! As the guys up here said, a Topping or SMSL , minimum, would be needed. My 2 cents.

That's generally NOT true.

We have US$99 desktop amps that outclass US$1000 ones for distortion and noise. Likewise for portables.

The Sabaj Da3 outclasses the more expensive Audioquest Dragonfly for a lot less. Heck , even the NX4 DSD is cheaper than the Dragonfly (both versions) !

Even the very cheap Apple USB dongle outperforms a lot of other portable amps if you don't need a lot of power.

Cost of a DAC/ Amp is not directly indicative of how well it performs / measures. The measurements done and presented on this forum bears testament to that.

Veri

Master Contributor
Aliexpress has some DACs with the new top of the line VERITA AK4497 dac chip from AKM ( Aasahi Kasei Microdevices ) Now it's up to you as to how much you want to pay for the implementation of this fine AK4497 chip. It varies from $300 to $2000 . I'm itching to buy one.
Note that these 'aliexpress' DACs have no real reputation or objective reviews whatever, seems crazy to buy blind when there is the Topping D70 in $400 range which is guaranteed proper designed.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Aliexpress has some DACs with the new top of the line VERITA AK4497 dac chip from AKM ( Aasahi Kasei Microdevices ) Now it's up to you as to how much you want to pay for the implementation of this fine AK4497 chip. It varies from $300 to $2000 . I'm itching to buy one.
Don't buy those.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Topping D70 exists and we know it rocks. No need to look elsewhere.

Veri

Master Contributor
WELL.... a topping DX3 PRO was available at amazon.ca , as a used unit, for the ridiculous price of $85 US... so, since amir liked it, I've bought it to play with . At this price , more than 60% reduction, it's an inexpensive toy. Testing 1-2 .... See, my compulsive buyer's brakes just gave up :rolleyes: We have only one life to live.
$85, wow!

Veri

Master Contributor
88.51 USD exactly , now let's see what is "used-acceptable" I've contacted DILVSHI , the seller, and he told me that if the item is not OK, they'll ship me a new one !!!!!!! These guys have ship load of that stuff. Somewhat surprised by the service...

Product condition: acceptable
Service: more than acceptable
:D

Top Bottom