• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Celestee FR impressions

Archsam

Headfi review:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I am looking forward to Amir's review of these. It is a shame Focal sent these to a ton of reviewers before the release expected early this month, but didn't offer a pair to Amir. I get that all his reviews are not glowing, but I expect this to do better than the Clear. Focal should be able to have confidence in their product.

Music1969

Major Contributor
These Focal headphones all move a lot of air (slam, punch, impact, whatever you want to call it), much more so than any planar I’ve heard. I suspect that would be the biggest differentiator.

I agree, I don't know how they do it, but more slam / punchier than any other brand. And especially planars

(in my experience).

And with low distortion, these should be EQ friendly too.

Would be nice if they were 100g lighter but maybe they would lose their slam !

Zensō

Major Contributor
I am looking forward to Amir's review of these. It is a shame Focal sent these to a ton of reviewers before the release expected early this month, but didn't offer a pair to Amir. I get that all his reviews are not glowing, but I expect this to do better than the Clear. Focal should be able to have confidence in their product.
Amir has put the fear into a lot of audio companies, which is a good thing for us consumers, not so much for them. If a company responds intelligently though, it can work out well (like in the case of Schiit.)

Zensō

Major Contributor
Would be nice if they were 100g lighter but maybe they would lose their slam !

Agreed. I enjoy my Focal headphones, but because of their weight, only in doses. I find Sennheisers much more comfortable for longer listening sessions.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Agreed. I enjoy my Focal headphones, but because of their weight, only in doses. I find Sennheisers much more comfortable for longer listening sessions.

My thoughts exactly. It's too bad the HD820 is so crap (objectively) LOL. It's very light and comfortable compared to my Elegia.

Waiting for an improved HD820S

Zensō

Major Contributor
My thoughts exactly. It's too bad the HD820 is so crap (objectively) LOL. It's very light and comfortable compared to my Elegia.

Waiting for an improved HD820S
I don’t currently own one, but I quite like the HD800S when EQ’d to approximately match the Harman curve. The soundstage and comfort are incredible (not sure why I sold it to be honest). I may pick up another at some point.

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
I don’t currently own one, but I quite like the current HD820S when EQ’d to approximately match the Harman curve. The soundstage and comfort are incredible (not sure why I sold it to be honest). I may pick up another at some point.

Yes it actually EQ's superbly well to the Harman Curve - it scores over 100 preference score.

But I actually messaged with oratory1990 himself to ask why he doesn't like it , given it's one of the best preference scores AFTER EQ...

But since he's an engineer, he expects it start well, especially for the price... which is completely understandable of course.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Well, they are mostly interested in subjective reviews. And they gave it to Jude for some basic measurements. What you want to bet he gets paid for his reviews?

Zensō

Major Contributor
Well, they are mostly interested in subjective reviews. And they gave it to Jude for some basic measurements. What you want to bet he gets paid for his reviews?
Focal seems quite cozy with Headphones.com (“The Headphone Show” on YouTube) as well. I like Andrew’s reviews, but when you’re chumming with the designers it’s nearly impossible to be objective. I know this from first hand experience from when I was a bicycle reviewer some years ago.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But I actually messaged with oratory1990 himself to ask why he doesn't like it , given it's one of the best preference scores AFTER EQ...

But since he's an engineer, he expects it start well, especially for the price... which is completely understandable of course.

But you can't EQ in that soundstage to another headphone, let alone the comfort.

Price is still ridiculous though...

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Focal seems quite cozy with Headphones.com (“The Headphone Show” on YouTube) as well. I like Andrew’s reviews, but when you’re chumming with the designers it’s nearly impossible to be objective. I know this from first hand experience from when I was a bicycle reviewer some years ago.

Yeah. I understand. Even if you are trying to be objective, which I think Andrew probably is, it's impossible not to be influenced by one's relationship with the vendors.

On the other hand, Jude clearly sold his soul to the audio industry many years ago. While I doubt he would fudge measurements, I wouldn't be surprised if he incorporates talking points given to him by the manufacturer.

Pe8er

Forum Donor
Friends,

can we please focus our discussions on hardware or music, and leave insinuations and arguments ad hominem at the door? I think we all agree one of the main reasons we enjoy this forum is the collective struggle to remain focused on the important things in audio, not the fluff.

Having said that and coming back on topic - I pre-ordered these as a potential companion to my LCD-X. Never heard a Focal headphone before, so I’m quite excited.

I might send my pair to Amir for measurements. Does an official “process” exist or should I simply get in touch with mr A?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Friends,

can we please focus our discussions on hardware or music, and leave insinuations and arguments ad hominem at the door? I think we all agree one of the main reasons we enjoy this forum is the collective struggle to remain focused on the important things in audio, not the fluff.

Having said that and coming back on topic - I pre-ordered these as a potential companion to my LCD-X. Never heard a Focal headphone before, so I’m quite excited.

I might send my pair to Amir for measurements. Does an official “process” exist or should I simply get in touch with mr A?
Thanks for offering. Mine are already on the way to him.

Edit: they will be when they ship.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
If you slow down this video to a quarter speed, you can see the unannounced Clear Magnesium and Clear Professional Magnesium. I can hardly wait.

OP
S

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've never heard of magnesium drivers before.

Top Bottom