• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Celestee FR impressions

dfuller

Major Contributor
I've never heard of magnesium drivers before.
It's kind of like aluminum, except lighter and somewhat less well damped internally. SEAS is the best known maker but I believe Tang Band makes a magnesium driver too. Only Focal as far as I'm aware is using it in tweeters and headphone drivers...

Helicopter

Major Contributor
It's kind of like aluminum, except lighter and somewhat less well damped internally. SEAS is the best known maker but I believe Tang Band makes a magnesium driver too. Only Focal as far as I'm aware is using it in tweeters and headphone drivers...
The currently available headphones and tweeters are Aluminum/Magnesium but the unannounced headphone drivers in the video intro are marked 'Magnesium;' they appear to be new.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Here is a brochure on the upcoming Clear MG Professional. There was also an Adorama leak indicating a preorder price of $1490, so these are very likely successors to the current Clear models.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Here is a brochure on the upcoming Clear MG Professional. There was also an Adorama leak indicating a preorder price of $1490, so these are very likely successors to the current Clear models.
Interesting. I wonder if they've fixed that weird low xmax problem Amir encountered... Then again, so far as I know, Focal loves their underhung voice coils.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Interesting. I wonder if they've fixed that weird low xmax problem Amir encountered... Then again, so far as I know, Focal loves their underhung voice coils.
If they didn't fix it then the cool honeycomb replacing the moulded wire mesh is probably a bigger change than the driver alloy, but who knows. They sure do look cool. I like the pro case. It is nice being able to tell them all apart by the case color. I am a little tempted. They will probably launch in March. That will be a little soon for my budget. We shall see.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
B&H has an article on the Clear MG Professional now. Available for pre-order. Focal also released some videos today indicating they are available. Frameless voice coil might still chatter. We shall see. they say the sound signature (read frequency response) is similar to the old Clear Pro. The inner and outer cups and drivers are new. Cup changes increase airflow and may improve imaging. The 'alumagnesium' driver was more than 90% aluminum, and the magnesium driver has a coating that looks like plastic film.

I think I will hold out and at least see what the non-pro Clear MG looks like.

OP
S

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
B&H has an article on the Clear MG Professional now. Available for pre-order. Focal also released some videos today indicating they are available. Frameless voice coil might still chatter. We shall see. they say the sound signature (read frequency response) is similar to the old Clear Pro. The inner and outer cups and drivers are new. Cup changes increase airflow and may improve imaging. The 'alumagnesium' driver was more than 90% aluminum, and the magnesium driver has a coating that looks like plastic film.

I think I will hold out and at least see what the non-pro Clear MG looks like.
Mind finding a link to some of those?

OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
short Focal video
full promo video
Audio46 posted a review.
Probably a lot more imminent reviews from other subjective reviewers who got a pair early to evaluate.
If they leaned out the bass and increased treble presence I don't think I'd like them more than the clear. The clear is just sharp enough for me to not be sibilant. And if they are doing something to the tonality to improve soundstage, I'm not interested.

I don’t currently own one, but I quite like the current HD820S when EQ’d to approximately match the Harman curve. The soundstage and comfort are incredible (not sure why I sold it to be honest). I may pick up another at some point.

I got mine today and I am totally blown away, sold my HD800S right away. Yeah, it needs EQ but once this is setup, there is no reason to not love this - great comfort, cool looks, widest soundstage in a closed back. Might let go of my Stellia as well, but I'll need to check that one first a bit more.

OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
I got mine today and I am totally blown away, sold my HD800S right away. Yeah, it needs EQ but once this is setup, there is no reason to not love this - great comfort, cool looks, widest soundstage in a closed back. Might let go of my Stellia as well, but I'll need to check that one first a bit more.
Is this your first focal?

OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
no, had an utopia for years. Why?
Just wanted to gauge what other headphones you have compared them too. I love the clear so i was thinking you could compare and contrast with other headphones.

Just wanted to gauge what other headphones you have compared them too. I love the clear so i was thinking you could compare and contrast with other headphones.

I see. Yes, I have some focal reference with the utopia and stellia. The hd820 is a gruesome headphone but wonderfully transforms with eq. But to come back to focal, I must admit that I never found the two I own to be very comfortable, the cups are very small And are not great with people wearing eyeglasses. This might be my main reason to let them go. I am not sure if I am the only one... strange reason, I know.

Zensō

Major Contributor
I see. Yes, I have some focal reference with the utopia and stellia. The hd820 is a gruesome headphone but wonderfully transforms with eq. But to come back to focal, I must admit that I never found the two I own to be very comfortable, the cups are very small And are not great with people wearing eyeglasses. This might be my main reason to let them go. I am not sure if I am the only one... strange reason, I know.
Are you saying the Celestee fit is different than the Utopia and Stellia? I would assume the fit and comfort is essentially the same.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
The ones I pre-ordered were supposed to ship to the dealer last week, but I didn't get an update yet. I saw Crutchfield was shipping early last week until they sold out, so mine should be pretty quick.

Are you saying the Celestee fit is different than the Utopia and Stellia? I would assume the fit and comfort is essentially the same.
Nope, didn't say that. I had stated that I found the Utopia and Stellia less comfortable than I had wished (unfortunately, since they are outstanding), and I assume it will be the same with the Celeste and Mg. So, same assumption here :).

OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Nope, didn't say that. I had stated that I found the Utopia and Stellia less comfortable than I had wished (unfortunately, since they are outstanding), and I assume it will be the same with the Celeste and Mg. So, same assumption here :).
Made for people with small ears. I have a pretty big head so I think your head would have to be pretty big to interfere. I don't wear glasses but I hear that can be an issue.

Top Bottom