• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Aria 906 Speaker Review

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That's high praise for the 906. Did you AB the 906 and the Maestro Utopia Evo?
Obviously not but I listen to them every day.

While it's not an academically correct DBT test that would be accepted for my doctoral thesis, let me just say that at this price difference, I would expect some major revelation and dropped jaws, not some tiny increase I need A/B tests in order to notice. :'D

Bohdan

@VintageFlanker , Is it possible that "dark ebony" trim from HomeCine is lower build quality to lets say dark walnut or Prime walnut.
I kinda want to try dark eb but price differences creates a sense of caution in me.

theyellowspecial

Forum Donor
I have the dark ebony. It's just vinyl. Is the walnut real veneer maybe? They probably also sell multiple dark ebony for every single walnut or piano finish, so there's probably some economy of scale going on.

Aerith Gainsborough

@VintageFlanker , Is it possible that "dark ebony" trim from HomeCine is lower build quality to lets say dark walnut or Prime walnut.
I kinda want to try dark eb but price differences creates a sense of caution in me.
The Noyer and Dark Ebony finishes are foils. They look good (I have the Noyer) but obviously they are not real wood.
Only "prime walnut" is wood.

Dark Ebony seems to be an exclusive color found only on HC Solutions. MSRP wise, there is a 50€ difference between Prime walnut/Piano laquer and Ebony/Noyer per speaker.

Bohdan

I find "Prime walnut" looking great with organic look of flax woofer. (from photos). On the other hand, vinyl is about 50% cheaper with all the promo deals going around.

Bohdan

I have the dark ebony. It's just vinyl. Is the walnut real veneer maybe? They probably also sell multiple dark ebony for every single walnut or piano finish, so there's probably some economy of scale going on.
If you ever have time to post a photo of yours that would be greatly beneficial. Not much photos of this trim. Thanky

theyellowspecial

Forum Donor
If you ever have time to post a photo of yours that would be greatly beneficial. Not much photos of this trim. Thanky
I can take some photos tomorrow. I purchased the ebony because I use the speakers for home theater and wanted them dark as possible with less possibility for reflections from the TV. I definitely would have went with another finish if they were placed in a living area where others would see them. Not because the dark ebony looks bad but because Focals look like true statement pieces with some of those other finishes.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Noyer and Dark Ebony finishes are foils. They look good (I have the Noyer) but obviously they are not real wood.
Only "prime walnut" is wood.

Dark Ebony seems to be an exclusive color found only on HC Solutions. MSRP wise, there is a 50€ difference between Prime walnut/Piano laquer and Ebony/Noyer per speaker.
Thx. You save me one post (of maybe not;))
I have the dark ebony. It's just vinyl. Is the walnut real veneer maybe?
I found Dark Walnut to feel very cheap already. Dark Ebony is 100% the same but another color.

Prime Walnut, White and Black are much (much) better in terms of finish.

Aerith Gainsborough

I find "Prime walnut" looking great with organic look of flax woofer. (from photos). On the other hand, vinyl is about 50% cheaper with all the promo deals going around.
My friend has prime walnut. It does look nice.
Though, I need to go up close and personal or have harsh sunlight on them in order to see that mine are foil and his are wood.

YMMV, of course. I am not overly sensitive to these things and prefer darker designs due to screen reflections.

John_Dikeman

Just FYI, Bol.com has these right now for 399. I think it's a mistake actually, as it says in the description that the price is per piece and you have to order two, however I contacted Bol and they said it's 399 for the pair. Mine are arriving shortly, I'll update you all to let you know it's actually 2 speakers....

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Just FYI, Bol.com has these right now for 399. I think it's a mistake actually, as it says in the description that the price is per piece and you have to order two, however I contacted Bol and they said it's 399 for the pair. Mine are arriving shortly, I'll update you all to let you know it's actually 2 speakers....

I just made an account and they do not ship to germany. So it seems this is only relevant to people in Belgium or Netherlands.

John_Dikeman

906s cannot be shipped by piece. The packaging always contains a pair as the vast majority of bookshelves speakers.
Makes sense. Which I suppose is why Doublepoint, the company from which Bol is selling these, on their own website requires you to purchase 2. However, Bol is only making you order the one...

Sorry, I thought Bol.com was throughout the EU, I guess I'm mistaken.
Still, someone posted a company in France selling these for 225 each so that's not much more.

caught gesture

Forum Donor

It does say one speaker in the description as you noticed. It will be great for you if two turn up at that price!

Attachments

• F541C285-7DA3-4C90-ACB6-43B8E3FFA4C6.jpeg
    F541C285-7DA3-4C90-ACB6-43B8E3FFA4C6.jpeg
    143.4 KB · Views: 72

John_Dikeman

It does say one speaker in the description.
Yes I know, if you order it directly from DoublePoint, you have to place an order for 2 for 798. It's not possible to just order one.
On Bol.com, they have the same deal, and it even says price per piece, however, they let you order just one, for 399, and then send you a pair...
I was on chat with Bol to confirm it would be a pair if I ordered one and they said I would absolutely get the 2 speakers for 399....

caught gesture

Forum Donor
Yes I know, if you order it directly from DoublePoint, you have to place an order for 2 for 798. It's not possible to just order one.
On Bol.com, they have the same deal, and it even says price per piece, however, they let you order just one, for 399, and then send you a pair...
I was on chat with Bol to confirm it would be a pair if I ordered one and they said I would absolutely get the 2 speakers for 399....
Maybe keep quiet about it until you have a tracking number! Someone will notice soon I imagine. Good luck!

John_Dikeman

Maybe keep quiet about it until you have a tracking number! Someone will notice soon I imagine. Good luck!
These should arrive in about an hour. I'll update you if they opened a box and sent me just one.... :p
The funny thing is, I was on chat with Bol for some time and really made them specify the price was for a pair even though the description says otherwise. So... if it is a mistake, which I believe it is, I did tell them about it.

Top Bottom