• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Aria 906 Speaker Review

ad_fletch

Forum Donor
Like this one?

570dafb14ec48cd2026db7011783.jpeg.jpg

RCA line in, low pass filter, even high pass filter if you wanted to use it. Looks like it has everything you need to use as a regular home subwoofer.

On the other hand, the small enclosure will probably limit output severely compared with something like an HSU VTF2 or Monolith 10....

John_Dikeman

Like this one?

View attachment 172567

RCA line in, low pass filter, even high pass filter if you wanted to use it. Looks like it has everything you need to use as a regular home subwoofer.

On the other hand, the small enclosure will probably limit output severely compared with something like an HSU VTF2 or Monolith 10....
Yep that one exactly.
I am running off an arcam a18 integrated amplifier so no rca sub out but could do line level.
Wasn't sure about impedance or such... I'm a bit ignorant of that stuff.

caught gesture

Forum Donor
Yep that one exactly.
I am running off an arcam a18 integrated amplifier so no rca sub out but could do line level.
Wasn't sure about impedance or such... I'm a bit ignorant of that stuff.
The Arcam has a pre-out. Can’t you connect the sub with that?

ad_fletch

Forum Donor
Yes - simple 2xRCA cable from preouts to sub inputs. Then apply low pass filter to match 906s rolloff.

After some more research here on ASR, of course you'll then need to go down the rabbit hole of ideal sub positioning, phase coherence, measurement mics,DSP etc etc. You'll probably then spend a fortune on 2 purpose-built home subs...but Daft Punk will sound awesome ;)

John_Dikeman

Great.
For power would this laptop adapter work?
1200x1189.jpg

I'm pretty broke for the moment so I think the serious subwoofer purchases may be pretty far off in the future.
I don't listen to that much Daft punk though. It's more for a bit more clarity with acoustic bass in jazz settings, etc.
And the thing is just sitting around in my house anyway so might as well put it to work...

theyellowspecial

Forum Donor
If you're spending that much on a power supply and adapter, you're better off with a cheap 8" or 10" powered subwoofer with speaker-level inputs. Around the same price and you'll get better performance.

John_Dikeman

If you're spending that much on a power supply and adapter, you're better off with a cheap 8" or 10" powered subwoofer with speaker-level inputs. Around the same price and you'll get better performance.
Can I get a decent 8 or 10" sub for 75 euros?

This Focal is 10". What about building my own enclosure? I'm not entirely unhandy with wood...

Last edited:

caught gesture

Forum Donor

This Focal is 10". What about building my own enclosure? I'm not entirely unhandy with wood...
No, you can’t get a decent sub for €75. You could sell the Focal (€150-200 perhaps), plus the €75 you were going to spend on the power supply and then save for a while and get something more suitable for the home environment (either new or secondhand). Call it delayed gratification. In the meantime you could experiment with speaker placement and perhaps DIY acoustic panels for your room.

John_Dikeman

No, you can’t get a decent sub for €75. You could sell the Focal (€150-200 perhaps), plus the €75 you were going to spend on the power supply and then save for a while and get something more suitable for the home environment (either new or secondhand). Call it delayed gratification. In the meantime you could experiment with speaker placement and perhaps DIY acoustic panels for your room.
OK I got you.
Honestly from where I'm sitting I'm not unhappy with my current sound, I've just got this sub sitting in my office and thought I could use it.
For an extra 75 bucks I wouldn't mind seeing what it can do. And if the size of the box is the main issue I'd be interested in trying to build a new one DIY.
Or is this Focal 10" sub crap and not worth messing with? https://www.focal.com/sites/www.focal.fr/files/shared/catalog/document/fiche-techique-25a1.pdf
Sorry, this is getting pretty far off topic. Maybe I'll make another thread...

caught gesture

Forum Donor
OK I got you.
Honestly from where I'm sitting I'm not unhappy with my current sound, I've just got this sub sitting in my office and thought I could use it.
For an extra 75 bucks I wouldn't mind seeing what it can do. And if the size of the box is the main issue I'd be interested in trying to build a new one DIY.
Or is this Focal 10" sub crap and not worth messing with? https://www.focal.com/sites/www.focal.fr/files/shared/catalog/document/fiche-techique-25a1.pdf
Sorry, this is getting pretty far off topic. Maybe I'll make another thread...
If you can return the power supply if you are not happy, then have a go. As you say, it’s sitting in your office not doing anything! Great that you are not unhappy with your current sound. There’s always that itch though, especially when we get on forums!

theyellowspecial

Forum Donor

From a purely cost/performance standpoint, selling the car subwoofer and getting a decent home subwoofer would be the way to go. You're just gonna get more cabinet volume and performance for the money (and a simpler setup). I've never DIY'd a sub, so can't give advice there.

ad_fletch

Forum Donor
Going to have to agree with @theyellowspecial - you'd need a very big power supply to get the most out of the amp built into the 25A1.

Seems to be rated at 150W RMS for sub section, so PSU probably needs to provide roughly double the current of the one you posted. Very rough calculation based on little data mind you.

John_Dikeman

Going to have to agree with @theyellowspecial - you'd need a very big power supply to get the most out of the amp built into the 25A1.

Seems to be rated at 150W RMS for sub section, so PSU probably needs to provide roughly double the current of the one you posted. Very rough calculation based on little data mind you.

Ah, so you're saying 30 A is the minimum for the unit but to get it working at it's best and use the 150W I'd need more like 80 A?

Sorry, I know a bit about woodworking and such but almost nothing about electricity.

Ok, I opened up this thread to discuss my subwoofer ignorance:

Last edited:

ad_fletch

Forum Donor
Yes, new thread good idea. Just for those reading this one though, I’m not talking about a 12v 30A PSU, let alone 80A. That would indeed be massive. The one you posted delivers 5A (60W), I was just saying you’d want a bigger one (can discuss specifics in other thread).

John_Dikeman

Yes, new thread good idea. Just for those reading this one though, I’m not talking about a 12v 30A PSU, let alone 80A. That would indeed be massive. The one you posted delivers 5A (60W), I was just saying you’d want a bigger one (can discuss specifics in other thread).
OK, just to close this discussion here.
Yeah the first adapter I posted an image of is indeed too small. However, I found another adapter which delivers 480 watts and 40 A.
https://www-applamp-nl.translate.go...ding.html?_x_tr_sl=nl&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=nl

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fresh SoundStage NRC Measurements of Focal Aria K2 906
https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...-aria-k2-906-loudspeakers&catid=77&Itemid=153 ,
not very different from the original 906 they had measured too
https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153 ,
mainly a little less bass distortion and compression.
The dip around 3.000 Hz seems slightly worse.
Bass around 500 Hz is cleaner, but a bit worse at 100Hz.

Price is much worse!

Peter Chuang

HELLO guys,

I found focal 906 have a big variation on speaker impedance from 4.5ohm up to 31ohm(6.8X)
so i try to parallel a ceramic resister 10ohm 5W at speaker binding bring the variation down to 3.1ohm to 7.5ohm(2.4X)
and the result was fantastic, vocal is much focus and clear
I used lyngdorf tdai 1120 as power amp
I'm wondering adding 10 ohm to the speak get improved for me only or if it works for everyone.
the resister cost you less than 1 usd, please give it a try
And i really want to know the reason behind it

Top Bottom