• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

First HiFi setup.. I Think. need opinion on verification

ninjadip

Hi Everyone! Not sure who reads these newbie forums, but I came here because I made the one decision I've had to make so far in my HiFi setup from here. I was recently bequeathed a NAD Integrated Amplifier (C136BEE) and two KEF Reference Series Model One (SP3189) speakers. This is what they had matching together with a NAD CD Player that I did not get and to be honest just threw out my 300+ cd collection days prior anyway.
The one device I did buy was a DAC. After reading a lot of reviews of many, many DACs, I went with a Topping E30. Thought this was a great budget DAC and something for me to get my toes wet. (I use Qobuz with UAPP in bitperfect mode)

So the question lies in,
is this a good setup? (To me it sounds amazing! better than anything I've ever had)

Does the NAD pair well with the KEFs compared to other speakers?

What should the next thing be for my setup?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like a nice setup. I heard some KEF reference series a few years ago, and was very impressed.

I don’t know what @witchdoctor is up to. At the risk of not getting the joke, I’d say don’t waste your money on audiophile outlets, power cables, interconnects, speaker cables, cable risers, isolating feet, coupling feet, or anything like that

witchdoctor

Sounds like a nice setup. I heard some KEF reference series a few years ago, and was very impressed.

I don’t know what @witchdoctor is up to. At the risk of not getting the joke, I’d say don’t waste your money on audiophile outlets, power cables, interconnects, speaker cables, cable risers, isolating feet, coupling feet, or anything like that

Like I said, Audioadvisor has a 30 day money back, it is inexpensive and you won't know unless you try. Most of those outlets also have reviews you can check before you order.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a great setup :) Not surprised it sounds so good. You don't need to upgrade your speakers or electronics.

The next steps to consider IMHO would be:
  • Optimise placement in the room.
  • Add room treatment (if necessary/practical).
  • Buy a measurement mic and take measurements like the MiniDSP UMIK-1, then use DSP to correct the in-room response in the low frequencies (can be done manually or with automated software).
  • Add subwoofer(s) (and optimise/correct again).

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I wouldn't waste money on a "fancy" outlet. If you feel you need more power, run a dedicated power line from the box directly to your area and make it a 20a breaker.....that would be way more worth it than a fancy outlet....I'd need to see some actual measurements showing me the benefits (not from a company making it) to prove there is any difference. I am guessing this would go much the same as "Fancy" cables...either make no difference or actually make things worse.

I highly doubt power is going to be an issue though and wouldn't worry about that until far....far down the line.

I'd suggest a good in room correction (DSP) and measurement system (mic and learning how to use REW) and a well integrated subwoofer.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Like I said, Audioadvisor has a 30 day money back, it is inexpensive and you won't know unless you try. Most of those outlets also have reviews you can check before you order.

I have more than enough information to make a Bayesian inference that it would be a complete waste of time.

UCrazyKid

You should have kept the CD’s. They would have sounded awesome through the E30.

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
100% do this:
This is a great setup :) Not surprised it sounds so good. You don't need to upgrade your speakers or electronics.

• Buy a measurement mic and take measurements like the MiniDSP UMIK-1, then use DSP to correct the in-room response in the low frequencies (can be done manually or with automated software).

100% DO NOT do this:

Or this:

OP
N

ninjadip

Thanks! Those are good suggestions. I didn't think about a dsp. I just had to recalibrate my car setup with an rta mic because of a battery change. So I'm familiar with the benefits.
So how much is that going to run for a budget midrange one?
And what is room treatment

witchdoctor

100% do this:

100% DO NOT do this:

Or this:

Just do it, experimentation is the basis of all science. Not to have a risk free trial because some guy on the internet (who never tried said product) gets upset about it is ridiculous IMO. This is less than $100 and you have 0 idea how old and crappy outlets choke power into a beautiful product that just wants to be unleashed until you try .
https://headfonics.com/power-conditioning-audio-real-advantage/

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! Those are good suggestions. I didn't think about a dsp. I just had to recalibrate my car setup with an rta mic because of a battery change. So I'm familiar with the benefits.
So how much is that going to run for a budget midrange one?
And what is room treatment

Is your source a computer? DSP can be done for free with software if you’re able to take measurements.

Room treatment means stuff like absorption panels, diffusers, bass traps etc. This kinda stuff:

1607572313191.jpeg

Usually, just a few well-placed, broadband absorbers can make a big difference.

But obviously it’s not easy in a shared or living space, which is why I said “if practical” :)

sailor2005

The next thing should be ENJOYING THE MUSIC!!
Honestly, if you like the way it sounds.. leave it like that.. enjoy.
"Audiophile power outlet"? Really?
And regarding REW measurements and DSP setups... they can work, if done correctly, if not, then they can mess things up big time. If I were you I would leave that for way later.
Just enjoy what you have...

OP
N

ninjadip

Just do it, experimentation is the basis of all science. Not to have a risk free trial because some guy on the internet (who never tried said product) gets upset about it is ridiculous IMO. This is less than $100 and you have 0 idea how old and crappy outlets choke power into a beautiful product that just wants to be unleashed until you try .
https://headfonics.com/power-conditioning-audio-real-advantage/

I appreciate the info. I rent and don't want to mess with the outlet when I'm not staying forever.
As far as clean power goes I did buy a nice, affordable dc power supply for the DAC. The topping e30 doesn't come with a dedicated one so I had to get one anyway.
I got a
Jameco 5 Watt AC-to-DC Regulated Linear Wall Adapter

This sounded good, and whether it helps or not it was only $15.

OP
N

ninjadip

Is your source a computer? DSP can be done for free with software if you’re able to take measurements.

Room treatment means stuff like absorption panels, diffusers, bass traps etc. This kinda stuff:

View attachment 98287

Usually, just a few well-placed, broadband absorbers can make a big difference.

But obviously it’s not easy in a shared or living space, which is why I said “if practical” :)
Right now I'm using my phone, but will be using my computer soon.
Would rather have a dedicated dsp than software.
Thanks for the ideas about sound absorption.

OP
N

ninjadip

The next thing should be ENJOYING THE MUSIC!!
Honestly, if you like the way it sounds.. leave it like that.. enjoy.
"Audiophile power outlet"? Really?
And regarding REW measurements and DSP setups... they can work, if done correctly, if not, then they can mess things up big time. If I were you I would leave that for way later.
Just enjoy what you have...

Thanks man! I'm loving it. Tracy chapman fast car almost brought me to tears the other day. Reminded me of when I was a kid and heard the difference of cds for the first time, which was when the song came out.

My big question is do certain speakers pair better with specific amplifiers? That's what I'm wondering. Would the KEFs sound better on a different amp? Or is it all negligible

witchdoctor

I appreciate the info. I rent and don't want to mess with the outlet when I'm not staying forever.
As far as clean power goes I did buy a nice, affordable dc power supply for the DAC. The topping e30 doesn't come with a dedicated one so I had to get one anyway.
I got a
Jameco 5 Watt AC-to-DC Regulated Linear Wall Adapter

This sounded good, and whether it helps or not it was only $15.
Great, it is such a simple thing to experiment with. I have a really nice audio dealer nearby that let's me take stuff home to try. I wanted to try a power conditioner that had 10 outlets. It was a little pricey, I was skeptical but what the hell right? In my little NYC prewar apt building it made a huge improvement in both audio and video. If an internet based dealer will let you try stuff with a money back policy why not?

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
is this a good setup? (To me it sounds amazing! better than anything I've ever had)

Yes, you have a very nice setup - and I want to emphasize the part of your post I've bolded - that is the most important. Our systems can always sound a little better in one way or another, but if you feel your system sounds amazing and better than anything you've ever had before, be sure to enjoy that and savor it - no rush in tweaking or changing things.

That said, I would agree with @andreasmaaan 's recommendations, especially the first one: experimenting with speaker placement is free, easy, and can have a significant impact. Room treatments are a great next step as well, since speakers and room are usually the two biggest-impact parts of any stereo setup. But I would hold off on room treatments for a little while until you read up on them and educate yourself, because it's all too easy to spend money on treatments that are unnecessary or the wrong ones for your room issues. Definitely experiment with speaker placement though -and beyond that, just enjoy!

OP
N

ninjadip

Yes, you have a very nice setup - and I want to emphasize the part of your post I've bolded - that is the most important. Our systems can always sound a little better in one way or another, but if you feel your system sounds amazing and better than anything you've ever had before, be sure to enjoy that and savor it - no rush in tweaking or changing things.

That said, I would agree with @andreasmaaan 's recommendations, especially the first one: experimenting with speaker placement is free, easy, and can have a significant impact. Room treatments are a great next step as well, since speakers and room are usually the two biggest-impact parts of any stereo setup. But I would hold off on room treatments for a little while until you read up on them and educate yourself, because it's all too easy to spend money on treatments that are unnecessary or the wrong ones for your room issues. Definitely experiment with speaker placement though -and beyond that, just enjoy!

You're right man! You're definitely right.
If I like it, why mess with it.

One additional question is if I want to do a headphones, of which I don't own a nice set, is it wrong to just plug the headphones in the amp directly or do I need a dedicated headphone amp

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
What should the next thing be for my setup?

Enjoy what you have.

Keep reading (more here than there, wherever else there is).

Think about it for a while.

Top Bottom