• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fiio M15 Review (Digital Audio Player)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Fiio M15 DAP. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $1,300 including Prime shipping on Amazon.

The M15 runs Android but also has a dedicated, player mode (which I did not test). It feels substantial like most DAPs:

Fiio M15 Review DAP Digital Audio Player Balanced.jpg

When I powered this unit up, I was pleasantly surprised by owner's installation of Roon. Fired that up and found it quite nice to have for around the home given the fact that I am a Roon user. Alas, while there was some kind of upgrade going on, Roon constantly stopped and could not fetch my music. So performance -- Wifi or CPU -- is not that great or at least anything getting close to a modern mobile phone.

I don't know which version of Android it is running. I had a hard time navigating it as I could not figure out the back button, etc. Not a huge deal but was not as close to my regular phone as I wished. This is as much Android's fault as is Fiio's.

Nice suite of jacks are provided for both unbalanced and balanced:
Fiio M15 Review DAP Digital Audio Player Balanced Jack.jpg

And of course one of the main benefits of these players is the hardware "VCR" controls:

Fiio M15 Review DAP Digital Audio Player Android.jpg

Fiio M15 Measurements
For testing, I used a USB jack and put the unit in USB DAC mode. This allowed me to run my full suite of DAC and headphone amp tests. So let's start with the former, using the unbalanced headphone out:

Fiio M15 Measurements Unbalanced.png

This puts the performance is very good category:

Best Android DAP review.png

Balanced performance was a bit worse:
Fiio M15 Measurements Balanced.png

Intermodulation versus level showed an "IMD hump" which is strange as this is an AKM DAC chip not ESS:

Fiio M15 Measurements intermodulation distortion.png

Note how in this case balanced performance is much better as far as noise level. Not sure why it is reverse of dashboard.

Dynamic range at 4 volts is excellent:

Fiio M15 Measurements Balanced Dynamic Range.png

Performance at 50 mv output for sensitive IEMs is above average:

most quiet DAP review.png

Jitter performance is very good other than broadening of our main tone that indicates low frequency random jitter:

Fiio M15 Measurements Balanced jitter dap.png

The impairment is totally inaudible though due to its nature and exceptionally low level. The performance here is much better than any USB dongle.

Multitone distortion shows rising noise in low frequencies:
Fiio M15 Measurements Balanced Multitone.png

We see the same thing in THD+N vs frequency:
Fiio M15 Measurements Balanced THD+N vs Frequency Distortion.png

Linearity test is nailed indicating very good accuracy:
Fiio M15 Measurements Balanced Linearity Test.png

A number of filters are provided:

Fiio M15 Measurements DAC filter DAP.png

Most important test here is power availability so let's test that using 300 ohm load first:

Fiio M15 Measurements Power into 300 ohm DAP.png

Balanced output is quite good for a portable device at 64 milliwatts. Unbalanced is a quarter of that which while not terrible, is not that much power at 16 milliwatts.

Strangely again, unlike the dashboard, the balanced output is superior as far as noise level. And even with the "IMD hump" performance is desktop class in both noise and distortion.

Power naturally increases a lot when testing into 32 ohm load:
Fiio M15 Measurements Power into 32 ohm DAP.png

Varying the impedance from 600 to 12 ohm we see small load dependency:

Fiio M15 Measurements Balanced Load dependency.png

Fiio M15 Listening Tests
Using balanced connection to my Drop Ether CX, there was plenty of power, dynamics and detail. Given the difficulty many portable products have in driving this headphone, this is a very good result.

Using unbalanced connection, I had just enough power for Sennheiser HD650.

Conclusions
The Fiio M15 targets desktop class performance and it almost gets there. In absolute there, i.e. SINAD and Dynamic Range, it is there already. But there is a mid-level distortion that is unfortunate.

Overall, the Fiio M15 manages to best just about any dongle or phone you would use instead of it and handily so. So I am going to put it on my Recommended list.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Appreciate any donations using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Mikechw

I have dismissed the idea of getting a DAP for a long time. Hope that price/performance ratio for DAP could match desktop's headamp soon..

Robin L

Master Contributor
I've got Fiio's low-end, low-power, tiny and cheap M3K DAP. Attached to the AKG K371 'phones, it makes a mighty noise. Being so small and unattached to a phone, it makes for a better option than playing through a smartphone that doesn't really fit in my pocket. I've got 512gb on a Micro SD, 1600 CDs worth of Apple Lossless files. Sounds remarkably good.

IMG_20210108_055650164.jpg

PeteL

Major Contributor
Any way you look at it, that’s a lot of power for portable non main-powered device, wondering what’s the battery life with hard loads like the tested Ether, (or does it matters? do peoples actually use those on the go?) In all cases portable stuff that can feed everything are not legion.

YSC

Major Contributor
TBH I am surprised that Fiio is the one to achieve this rather than those big players like Sony.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems like a pretty balanced DAP with tons of features. Still Android in its older 7th (?) version means it still cannot be compared to newer phones in "versatility". (for instance my "older" Samsung with v.8 was left out of wavelet support which is only for v.9 and up I guess..)

Battery is huge, they state >15h, guess it is in Andoid mode and in dedicated player mode it could go even higher..?

Cheap DAPs, "rich DAPs".. but where is the DAB?
fr1.jpg

LinedGrossClingfish-small.gif

Rockfella

Forum Donor
I got FiiO M5 + BLON03 + 128 GB SD.

Last edited:

Merkurio

The fact that DAPs with proper engineering actually exist brings something into relief, at the bare minimum.

Now, it would be great to see if there's any hidden gem in the <$500 offerings, say the FiiO M11, iBasso DX160, Cayin N3 Pro, Shanling M5s, Hiby R5/R3, etc...

By the way @amirm, how low is the output impedance?

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Fiio M15 DAP. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $1,300 including Prime shipping on Amazon.

The M15 runs Android but also has a dedicated, player mode (which I did not test). It feels substantial like most DAPs:

View attachment 105933

When I powered this unit up, I was pleasantly surprised by owner's installation of Roon. Fired that up and found it quite nice to have for around the home given the fact that I am a Roon user. Alas, while there was some kind of upgrade going on, Roon constantly stopped and could not fetch my music. So performance -- Wifi or CPU -- is not that great or at least anything getting close to a modern mobile phone.

I don't know which version of Android it is running. I had a hard time navigating it as I could not figure out the back button, etc. Not a huge deal but was not as close to my regular phone as I wished. This is as much Android's fault as is Fiio's.

Nice suite of jacks are provided for both unbalanced and balanced:
View attachment 105934

And of course one of the main benefits of these players is the hardware "VCR" controls:

View attachment 105935

Fiio M15 Measurements
For testing, I used a USB jack and put the unit in USB DAC mode. This allowed me to run my full suite of DAC and headphone amp tests. So let's start with the former, using the unbalanced headphone out:

View attachment 105936

This puts the performance is very good category:

View attachment 105938

Balanced performance was a bit worse:
View attachment 105937

Intermodulation versus level showed an "IMD hump" which is strange as this is an AKM DAC chip not ESS:

View attachment 105939

Note how in this case balanced performance is much better as far as noise level. Not sure why it is reverse of dashboard.

Dynamic range at 4 volts is excellent:

View attachment 105940

Performance at 50 mv output for sensitive IEMs is above average:

View attachment 105942

Jitter performance is very good other than broadening of our main tone that indicates low frequency random jitter:

View attachment 105943

The impairment is totally inaudible though due to its nature and exceptionally low level. The performance here is much better than any USB dongle.

Multitone distortion shows rising noise in low frequencies:
View attachment 105944

We see the same thing in THD+N vs frequency:
View attachment 105946

Linearity test is nailed indicating very good accuracy:
View attachment 105947

A number of filters are provided:

View attachment 105949

Most important test here is power availability so let's test that using 300 ohm load first:

View attachment 105950

Balanced output is quite good for a portable device at 64 milliwatts. Unbalanced is a quarter of that which while not terrible, is not that much power at 16 milliwatts.

Strangely again, unlike the dashboard, the balanced output is superior as far as noise level. And even with the "IMD hump" performance is desktop class in both noise and distortion.

Power naturally increases a lot when testing into 32 ohm load:
View attachment 105953

Varying the impedance from 600 to 12 ohm we see small load dependency:

View attachment 105956

Fiio M15 Listening Tests
Using balanced connection to my Drop Ether CX, there was plenty of power, dynamics and detail. Given the difficulty many portable products have in driving this headphone, this is a very good result.

Using unbalanced connection, I had just enough power for Sennheiser HD650.

Conclusions
The Fiio M15 targets desktop class performance and it almost gets there. In absolute there, i.e. SINAD and Dynamic Range, it is there already. But there is a mid-level distortion that is unfortunate.

Overall, the Fiio M15 manages to best just about any dongle or phone you would use instead of it and handily so. So I am going to put it on my Recommended list.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Appreciate any donations using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
I see it has only 64 GB internal storage, which is hopeless f you want a decent amount of lossless files. Fortunately you can add up to a theoretical 2 TB of µSD, and high capacity µSD cards are getting more and more affordable.
<https://www.fiio.com/m15>

But what's with the rubbish filters? Yet again, not one gets close to full attenuation at 22 kHz. It's as if they've misread the numbers and gone for 24 kHz instead.

Top Bottom