• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fiio M15 Review (Digital Audio Player)

Robin L

Master Contributor
you could also get a bottle of vodka for $500 and forget what a DAP actually is!
Or a kilo of the Fine Arabian Stuff and start grooving on the ululations.

tomtrp

Hi Amir,
Do you remember whether you turned on the over ear mode before testing?
Your results actually matches some of their advertised numbers (490mw@30ohms, 70mw@300ohms advertised ,single ended), but your test results are in balanced output of course.
But they claim to have 800mw@30ohms and 280mw@300ohms when over-ear mode enabled and using balanced output, which is much more competitive to desktop devices.
So I wonder whether the over ear mode is enabled to get the max balanced output or the specs are just quoting the max figure of power regardless of THD and clipping?
Screenshot_20210716-192626_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210716-192910_Gallery.jpg

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Hi Amir,
Do you remember whether you turned on the over ear mode before testing?
Your results actually matches some of their advertised numbers (490mw@30ohms, 70mw@300ohms advertised ,single ended), but your test results are in balanced output of course.
But they claim to have 800mw@30ohms and 280mw@300ohms when over-ear mode enabled and using balanced output, which is much more competitive to desktop devices.
So I wonder whether the over ear mode is enabled to get the max balanced output or the specs are just quoting the max figure of power regardless of THD and clipping?View attachment 141461View attachment 141462
The M15 runs Android but also has a dedicated, player mode (which I did not test). It feels substantial like most DAPs

Daveya.

Holy thread recovery batman

I use an old phone as a carrier for UAPP and a Mojo2. How will this M15 DAP compare to a this? It's a lot of money to give it a go

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Holy thread recovery batman

I use an old phone as a carrier for UAPP and a Mojo2. How will this M15 DAP compare to a this? It's a lot of money to give it a go

I use neither.. phone + IEMs in enough for me if I'm not at home. But I would definitely pick a DAP over phone + external mobile amplifier just to have only one device.

The M11S is currently 500 bucks and roon ready and roon arc works as fell.
And it would be plenty for my Meze Liric on a vacation for example.
I wouldn't get a super expensive DAP either.. because I would be way to scared of forgetting it somewhere on vacation or it getting stolen.

But for the bus or at work it's phone + IEMs for me.

But that's just me :)

sq225917

Major Contributor
Still using mine. I don't stream, so most modern phones without sd slots are a none starter for me. I use mine with a pair of fiio fh9 and run neutron player on it with a specific eq.

Maybe there's cheaper faster options available these days, but for £800 second hand it was too good to pass up.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Still using mine. I don't stream, so most modern phones without sd slots are a none starter for me. I use mine with a pair of fiio fh9 and run neutron player on it with a specific eq.

Maybe there's cheaper faster options available these days, but for £800 second hand it was too good to pass up.
The new M15S costs just a bit more.

Did someone here already try the new M15S?

Instead of doing some crazy DAC upgrades, Experiments with HQPlayer and other stuff, I'm kinda considering this DAP M15S dap now

Since it's roon ready and has DSD128 (yes I have DSD files that I enjoy alot, no need to explain that nobody needs it today etc) upsampling In offline mode this is a very interesting device.

It's portable, doesn't require internet and should be plenty powerful for my meze Liric.

Dranem

i have a x5 (first gen) and an x7 mark2, and both got a lot of firmeware issues and the digital knobs died very fast, so i wouldnt recommend fiio in general even if they sound nice ...
Hey Bro,
I have a problem with my FiiO DAP X7 Mark II. The problem comes from the software and concerns the WI-FI applications and the Bluetooth.

The Wi-Fi and Bluetooth icons no longer appear in the drop-down menu starting from the top of the device.
If I try to open Wi-Fi through settings access, the app stays off, the green light also stays off, and the device freezes and restarts after 60-90 seconds.

I did a factory reset of the device, but the problem persists. How did you solve your problem?

DS_Construct

I bought mine for an incredible deal off retail and it is worth every penny. I have had a few of the Sony DAPs and a string of Hibys and less expensive FiiOs but none are in the same class with the M15.

Dranem

I also tried Neutron, but it had some bugs. I found a program made by Toneboosters called USB Audio Player Pro. It comes with a 10-band parametric equalizer. I have an AM3 as an amplifier module and I use the balanced output with my Magaosi DT6s. The problem is that when I lost WI-FI on the firmware I did a factory reconfiguration believing that it was temporary. But no! Since then, I no longer have access to the basic FiiO music system! I am discouraged. Send it to China to FiiO, not sure!!!

Top Bottom