• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FiiO BTR7 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this portable DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 6.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 83 40.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 108 52.2%

• Total voters

ehabheikal

Hello, i bought btr7 today, than i updated to latest firmware.

But in control app, i cant find PEQ section. How can i activate PEQ?

Thanks.
The peq is the equalizer, the peq is embeded into it if i remember correctly. Note there are no shelf filters, which is a big issue i think

dgnzcn

So I won't be able to set the custom filters I want? I really don't understand how this is PEQ.

staticV3

Master Contributor
So I won't be able to set the custom filters I want?
Sure you can. It's a standard parametric equalizer with 10 bands (first four shown here):
fiio-btr7-peq-interface-v0-k90fa67gcme91.jpg
You can freely set frequency, gain, and Q value for each.

Oldasdrt

I recently got one and can definitely recommend it, my IEMs (Ety 3SR) sound fantastic, along with my HD 599s,(Oratory EQd)
The screen really sets it apart, ton of info, well thought out

dgnzcn

I've done the PEQ, now in the ldac playback quality setting, even though I selected the top setting, best effort comes back, I can't change the setting. My phone is Samsung s23 ultra, anyone having this problem?

how-to-get-better-quality-audio-from-your-bluetooth-headphones-with-ldac-b628ee760c9c311cf46ec...png

Blorg

Really?
Was going to buy this but not so sure anymore if true.
If you want a proper PEQ get the Qudelix 5K, it has 20 bands and has peak, high shelf low shelf and high pass low pass filters. It also has 20 save locations for presets, and just works without being buggy and has more or less the same power (slightly higher power into higher impedance, slightly less power into lower impedance). Much smaller and lighter and a built in clip too.

dgnzcn

In BTR7, my PEQ settings was deleted by itself, I had to set it up again, also it changes some PEQ settings by itself with different settings. It is not stable.
These are the bugs I've seen so far.

Also, PEQ is missing special filters (compared to Qudelix 5K), which is a big shortcoming in this price range.

There have been many software upgrades for BTR7, but it is still a big shortcoming for PEQ that they do not fix the problems compared to their competitors.

Note: I bought BTR7 because I couldn't find Qudelix-5K in my country. If I can buy the Qudelix-5K, I can sell the my BTR7.

Blorg

In BTR7, my PEQ settings was deleted by itself, I had to set it up again, also it changes some PEQ settings by itself with different settings.
I have the Fiio FW5 and that's my experience with them as well, the PEQ is not stable. The impression I get is it's mapping the PEQ onto the existing GEQ frequency bands and it gets confused if you have bands that are too far off the fixed GEQ bands. So for most stable you have to try to pick frequencies close to the existing GEQ, or at least not do it so you have a lot of PEQ bands together between the GEQ bands.

Obviously this is all nonsense and it should just work with any PEQ you put in. But on the FW5 at least when you exit the PEQ mode it shows the PEQ you entered with the existing GEQ bands, and from my experience trying to get it to stick and NOT delete my PEQ settings, I found if I was careful to limit the PEQ so I wasn't putting a lot of bands in between the existing GEQ bands, it was more likely to "stick".

Fiio really need to work on fixing their software competence, their hardware is great but the software is terrible.

dgnzcn

Fiio really need to work on fixing their software competence, their hardware is great but the software is terrible.

Fiio sells expensive products but why still doesn't fix faulty/missing software, I won't buy Fiio again, now I'm looking for Qudelix-5K to buy.

Does anyone own BTR7 and Qudelix-5k both? Which is better for sound quality between these two?

Blorg

Fiio sells expensive products but why still doesn't fix faulty/missing software, I won't buy Fiio again, now I'm looking for Qudelix-5K to buy.

Does anyone own BTR7 and Qudelix-5k both? Which is better for sound quality between these two?
I don't have the BTR7 but I have the BTR5 and Qudelix 5K and they sound identical.

The BTR7 does measure better than the Qudelix but I doubt this is audible.

littlenezt

out of curiosity, lets say if we use low gain mode, will it save more power (longer playback time) or just the same with high gain?

dgnzcn

Another problem with btr7 is this:

When you want to reset any of the special settings we defined from USER1 to USER3 in the EQ section, they will all be reset and all your settings will be garbage. If you have made multiple headphone settings, they will all be reset and you will need to redo all EQ settings from USER1 to USER3.

There is no save option or Cancel option in the EQ section. You accidentally adjusted the EQ and wanted to go back, you can't go back because it's been auto recorded.

dgnzcn

I think fiio firm blocked my access to the PEQ part because of the bad comments I made for btr7 :), I uninstalled the application, I reset the devices, but the PEQ part does not open, this device is a complete waste of time, I will try to return it, I hope they get this garbage back.

dgnzcn

Would you recommend Neutron player or Poweramp for Apple music and flac music files on my phone?

Top Bottom