• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FiiO BTR7 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this portable DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 6.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 83 40.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 108 52.2%

• Total voters

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
is there a way to have bit perfect from any app in iphone 15 pro with btr7 ?
I connected with usb c but all i get from all aps (vlc, fiio music, flac player etc) is 44k/32b ... !
Apple Music always worked fine with my BTR5 and played at the correct sample rate. The BTR7 should work fine with Apple Music as well.
Doesn’t really matter though because sample rate conversion is completely transparent

Blorg

So, do you have any suggestions for a DAC with good ACC performance?
AAC is more about the sending than the receiving device, I don't believe there is much if any difference in the decoding but there is difference in the encoding. Apple's AAC encoder, from what I know, is the best available, so you are good there.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
AAC is more about the sending than the receiving device, I don't believe there is much if any difference in the decoding but there is difference in the encoding. Apple's AAC encoder, from what I know, is the best available, so you are good there.
This is not going against what you're saying, but is just a tangent, but for folks thinking about buying AAC music from Apple (ITunes) I've found in the past that some Itunes versions are more dynamic range compressed (think loudness wars) than some other versions you can buy. Becky Hill's Forever Young, for some reason I ended up with the Itunes (AAC) version and Amazon's mp3 version, and the mp3 version sounded better to me with more "expression" in the vocals, and when I analysed the two tracks in Orban Loudness Meter I could see that the Itunes version was more compressed with less dynamic range. That's not a fault of AAC, just the version of the track they decided to use.

Demir958

This is not going against what you're saying, but is just a tangent, but for folks thinking about buying AAC music from Apple (ITunes) I've found in the past that some Itunes versions are more dynamic range compressed (think loudness wars) than some other versions you can buy. Becky Hill's Forever Young, for some reason I ended up with the Itunes (AAC) version and Amazon's mp3 version, and the mp3 version sounded better to me with more "expression" in the vocals, and when I analysed the two tracks in Orban Loudness Meter I could see that the Itunes version was more compressed with less dynamic range. That's not a fault of AAC, just the version of the track they decided to use.
Actually, isn't the problem that iPhone doesn't support LDAC?

Demir958

For example, my iPhone 6s has a headphone jack and no matter what song I listen to from Apple Music, it is amazing.
But the disappointment in my headphones with the Apple dongle on my iPhone 13 Pro
In fact, the iPhone 13 I connect to via TC44 gives much worse sound than the 6s I connect via the headphone output.
The reason I want to connect via Bluetooth is to get 6s performance from my iPhone 13.

Demir958

No performance on phones with type c or lighting headphone outputs, 3.5 outputs
is this normal

staticV3

Master Contributor
Actually, isn't the problem that iPhone doesn't support LDAC?
Apple achieves greater fidelity with AAC at 256kbps, than Sony with LDAC at 909kbps:
iPhone 14 Pro - iOS16.6 AAC into AIYIMA A08 PRO - 4R 1Vrms.png Bluetooth LDAC 909 into AIYIMA A08 PRO - 4R 1Vrms.png
Source:

For example, my iPhone 6s has a headphone jack and no matter what song I listen to from Apple Music, it is amazing.
But the disappointment in my headphones with the Apple dongle on my iPhone 13 Pro
In fact, the iPhone 13 I connect to via TC44 gives much worse sound than the 6s I connect via the headphone output.
The reason I want to connect via Bluetooth is to get 6s performance from my iPhone 13.
My measurements have shown the digital audio output via Lightning to be bit-perfect. That part cannot be the problem.

Demir958

Apple achieves greater fidelity with AAC at 256kbps, than Sony with LDAC at 909kbps:
View attachment 337679 View attachment 337681
Source:

My measurements have shown the digital audio output via Lightning to be bit-perfect. That part cannot be the problem.
But there is a clear difference, not in the volume level, but the quality stage and separation is at a completely different level. With 3.5 output, the sound travels from right to left, this is not possible with lighting.

staticV3

Master Contributor
But there is a clear difference, not in the volume level, but the quality stage and separation is at a completely different level. With 3.5 output, the sound travels from right to left, this is not possible with lighting.
Again: Lightning is not the problem. It sends audio unaltered, just like USB.
Your problem lies elsewhere.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Thank you I really wonder what the problem is
It's a bit complicated. Problem is they removed the jack instead working to get better output (amplifier). The short cables with lightening or OTG USB C with dongle DAC's on the long run are from really inconvenient to horrible when it gets loose or female connector gets demaged.
You can easily get to a deacent performing dongle DAC which will give 2V output and won't suck much power. The CS43131 is still a recommendation but don't go with iBasso (except if you really like it aesthetically) instead check the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro with lightening cable for less money.
If you need more then 2V there are balanced one's but again not convenient and unbalanced one's with additional OPAMP's but the latter usually aren't either small or in the dongle form more likely flask alike (and with their own battery).
The Apple dongle give only 1V output and that's probably the source of your "problem".

staticV3

Master Contributor
there is a clear difference, not in the volume level, but the quality stage and separation is at a completely different level. With 3.5 output, the sound travels from right to left, this is not possible with lighting.
The Apple dongle give only 1V output and that's probably the source of your "problem".
I honestly doubt that the 1V limit is what's causing this.

Especially since the iPhone 6s which Demir doesn't have any issues with can't output more than 1V either.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I honestly doubt that the 1V limit is what's causing this.

Especially since the iPhone 6s which Demir doesn't have any issues with can't output more than 1V either.
Well I did quite sincerely point out the main problem (lose cable and broken female port on phone side on the long run) along with output power. I am certain it would help if we know which headphones/earphones he is trying to run.
Anyway best flask brick I can remember that does all very good is Topping G5.

Demir958

Çıkış gücüyle birlikte ana sorunu (uzun vadede kablo kaybı ve telefon tarafındaki dişi bağlantı noktasının kırılması) oldukça içten bir şekilde belirttim. Hangi kulaklığı/kulaklığı çalıştırmaya çalıştığını bilmemizin yardımcı olacağından eminim.
Her neyse, hatırlayabildiğim en iyi şişe tuğlası, her şeyin çok iyi olduğunu gösteriyor Topping G5.
İbasso t04 , campfire polaris

Top Bottom