• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fiio A5 Portable Headphone Amp Review

Degru

I wonder how well this would perform if fed a higher voltage input.. the specs say it can accept 5V in low gain mode which would bring it up to its maximum power output. Judging by the difference in noise between the two gain modes, it looks like there might be something causing noise or distortion in the input stage before the gain attenuator, so using to full power in low gain might net some improvement at maximum. Or is this what the test already attempts to do?

That said, wouldn't be very useful in normal usage since AFAIK the only portable device ive come across with that much voltage output is a Geekout 1000. And at that point one could just use that directly since it is IMO a more lively sounding source, particularly for HD6x0 and other high impedance cans.

audio_tony

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As long as the hub doesn't introduce noise anywhere.

The noise problem is usually caused by earth loops between the USB / USB hub and the source, and this is why using a separate PSU on the hub doesn't help.

In some cases a USB isolator might solve the problem - (this needs to provide galvanic isolation between the USB port and the device it's connected to in order to be effective).

If using a battery operated source like a phone, then this shouldn't be an issue.

Degru

The noise problem is usually caused by earth loops between the USB / USB hub and the source, and this is why using a separate PSU on the hub doesn't help.

In some cases a USB isolator might solve the problem - (this needs to provide galvanic isolation between the USB port and the device it's connected to in order to be effective).

If using a battery operated source like a phone, then this shouldn't be an issue.
What is a good affordable galvanic isolator for USB? The few cheaper ones I managed to find were all based on the same chip, which only supported USB 1.1 and didn't work with most of my devices. The only other option I could see was the extremely expensive iGalvanic 3.0 from iFi.

Carnajo

Assuming your device has software controled volume it is advised to be close to 100% with this. Otherwise it degrades the signal.

Ah, thannk you for clarifying, it does not. Once plugged in via USD then the volume controls on the device just control the windows volume. You can install the drivers but all they do is adjust the gain etc. in windows, so I just did the same using equaliser APO.

mkawa

Forum Donor
If the Q5S is anywhere near as good, I'll get it.
note that the am3 modular amp unit that comes with the q5s is basically the same as the fiio k3 but battery powered. the k3 has been measured at not so great already. the am5 (which is a modular a5) and the am3d are the really interesting units.

note that the am3 modular amp unit that comes with the q5s is basically the same as the fiio k3 but battery powered. the k3 has been measured at not so great already. the am5 (which is a modular a5) and the am3d are the really interesting units.
Yeah, I'd get the AM3D module.

Degru

Is this headphone amp old news as it shows as no longer being available on Amazon UK.
It's still technically Fiio's flagship portable amp, but oddly enough it appears to be unavailable on their aliexpress page as well.. Can still find it on US Amazon tho. Perhaps they're getting ready to release a new one soon?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Please make an Amazon affiliated account. I am sure a lot people want to support you this way! (like me:D)
Thanks. I am not using that option right now as it accuses me of recommending things that are available from Amazon. You can use my generic link at the bottom of the review on donations and then find the product after that.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. I am not using that option right now as it accuses me of recommending things that are available from Amazon. You can use my generic link at the bottom of the review on donations and then find the product after that.
Does that work for any country at the Amazon website? Does it work for Amazon.ca?

confucius_zero

At the store now trying out a used copy of this. Hype is real. It does compete well against stuff like ifi micro BL and chord mojo on amplification. Paid 62$

Tested with hd820 and lcd2c

Last edited:
Top Bottom