• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fiio A5 Portable Headphone Amp Review

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
keep in min
Wow this is shocking. The IMD is drastically lower than even some of the best desktop amps today. Many devices today have a truck ton of power I find nearly useless as I either need to dial down the source, the DAC, or the Amp volume position. I actually appreciate this device, for it's reasonable power metrics and not going all crazy (and I forget the other, I think it was the Hegel, that even in balanced didn't double it's power for the sake of keeping max output performance still within reach). Those noise metrics are surprising to see from a device this old and this inexpensive.

I wonder if this is the case with their newer devices as well or did they fumble... Hmm

Not only that I just realized the SINAD (for whatever reason I didn't think about when writing this) is staggeringly good as well.

keep in mind that the MUSES series of OPAs that this is based on are 50$ a package (comparison to the OPA1612? 3$/pc at qty1, WAY less in volume), and the high voltage battery setup allows it to maximize the OPA's in-circuit characteristics.

notes on FIIO: the newer MUSES03, which eventually fiio will almost certainly end up using for something is single channel per package only and an order of magnitude lower THD. if they can jam 2x 8 pin DIP into this same package with a similar battery setup, one should be able to see a successor under the 200$ mark that should measures up with the THX implementations, although with the same power output as this unit.

fiio also has a portable THX 789 implementation, the AM3D amplifier module for their modular DAP and the q5/s portable DACs. i would have one, but they're almost impossible to find, and fiio didn't follow up on sending amir a q5s.

CerealKiller

Sorry, a bit confusing the line "JDS Atom ballpark two years before Atom" Are you trying to say "Fiio A5 ballpark two years before Atom" ?
No, i meant Atom ballpark performance. I tried to point out to the fact that, Fiio A5 went, at least in my knowledge, fine without much notice regarding it's performance. Two years later Atom came out (at a disruptive price point yes) and trashed anything under 300 dollars with it's performance. Guess if the A5 have had imdependent measurements early on its release might have gotten more attention. Just that.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

elnan14

Looking forward for the day when @amirm has the opportunity of measuring and reviewing the Fiio Q5s along with its many amp modules, particularly the THX one (AM3D I think) and the AM5 (AFAIK the spiritual successor/brother of the A5)

CerealKiller

Interesting. Seems like battery power still has its merits. Makes me wonder if a good linear power supply changes how a amp behaves.
If topology has its flaws, yes maybe, if design is propper and flawless most likely not

raif71

Major Contributor
keep in min

keep in mind that the MUSES series of OPAs that this is based on are 50$ a package (comparison to the OPA1612? 3$/pc at qty1, WAY less in volume), and the high voltage battery setup allows it to maximize the OPA's in-circuit characteristics.

notes on FIIO: the newer MUSES03, which eventually fiio will almost certainly end up using for something is single channel per package only and an order of magnitude lower THD. if they can jam 2x 8 pin DIP into this same package with a similar battery setup, one should be able to see a successor under the 200$ mark that should measures up with the THX implementations, although with the same power output as this unit.

fiio also has a portable THX 789 implementation, the AM3D amplifier module for their modular DAP and the q5/s portable DACs. i would have one, but they're almost impossible to find, and fiio didn't follow up on sending amir a q5s.

I have the q5s and recently the thx module am3d. People say the thx module is not as powerful as the stock am3e but it is much cleaner and precise. I used the stock am3e module with q5s for over 2 months and then changed it to the thx am3d and personally I think there isn't that much difference

Tks

Major Contributor
Depends on USB power source. There doesn't appear to be any filtering there, so anywhere from "audible buzzing" to "silent" in my experience. It's clearly designed primarily for use as a portable/battery amp.

What about if I use a USB powered hub? So it doesn't have to be used with PC power?

Carnajo

I'd love to see how this compares to my Sound Blaster E3 (which I'd send to @amirm but I'm about a continent or two away). E3 is more featured (bluetooth, dac, microphone) but would love to compare performance wise (noise/distortion/repsonse etc.)

Power wise the E3 is "only" 2Vrms but I just don't understand how anyone would need more, it would drive 250 Ohm DT990s to unbearably loud levels for me. Plugged into my PC using USB I had to set windows volume down to 4 (out of 100) for comfortable use.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like another excellent product, and demonstrates once again that if it is just about measured performance and ability to drive headphones further than the anaemic outputs of typical smart devices then you really don't need to spend much.

Nango

Major Contributor
Assuming your device has software controled volume it is advised to be close to 100% with this. Otherwise it degrades the signal.

TonyNL

Please make an Amazon affiliated account. I am sure a lot people want to support you this way! (like me:D)

audio_tony

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Please make an Amazon affiliated account. I am sure a lot people want to support you this way! (like me:D)

He already has one?

1576842256921.png

Degru

What about if I use a USB powered hub? So it doesn't have to be used with PC power?
As long as the hub doesn't introduce noise anywhere. I would personally recommend using a quality wall charger directly or just using on battery and recharging every few days, since the hubs I've come across have often been quite terrible.

Top Bottom