• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Female Vocals: Stunning Recordings You Love

Steve356

Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark (Atmos & much more) from The Asylum Albums 1972-75 Box Set
"On 4-24-2024 Rhino Records released a 4 Blu-ray Set Featuring Remastered Hi-Res Stereo, Dolby Atmos mixes by Grammy® Award Winning producer Ken Caillat and Claus Trelby, and Quad Mixes of FOR THE ROSES (1972), COURT AND SPARK (1974), MILES OF AISLES (1974), and THE HISSING OF SUMMER LAWNS (1975). A brand new 2023 Quad Mix of FOR THE ROSES was done by Bruce Botnick."
I haven't closely listened to all 4 albums X3 mixes yet but the Court and Spark Atmos mix is the most beautiful mastering of this recording I've ever heard. Joni's voice is smooth as butter with the rest of the music about as clean sounding a production as I've ever heard from a popular 1970s analog tape recording. The same can be said of the 2ch 24/192 Hi Res offering, and the original 1974 Quad mix is a stellar example of a immersive 4 channel presentation.
If your any kind of Joni fan, get this BluRay set with the lovely booklet before they sell out?
100082-1713603888530.png

My copy is on its way to the UK. Really looking forward to getting it.

BeepPeep_61

Marie Spaemann - Gap

Tracklist
1 Gap
2 Metamorphosis
3 Eyes
4 Butter Tango
5 Fire
6 Sun Is Burning
7 Lovesong
8 Hybris
9 Prelude
10 Sarabande
11 Gigue
12 Becoming
13 Shadow
14 Epilogue - Lights On
Folder.jpg

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Yesterday evening was spent in a concert listening to the songbird Diandra "Music of Divas"

2174082__1__m2EHz.jpg

setlist:

Peter Gunn Theme (The Blues Brothers)
What a Wonderful World (Louis Armstrong)
My Heart Will Go On (Celine Dion)
The Winner Takes It All (Abba)
Skyfall (Adele)
Finnish Paradise Island (Antti Rissasen)
I Will Always Love You (Whitney Houston)
Simply the Best (Tina Turner)
Night in Tunisia (Chaka Khan)
I will survive (Gloria Gaynor)
Can’t Turn You Loose (The Blues Brothers)
New York, New York (Liza Minelli)
Can you feel the love tonite (Elton John)
Like a prayer (Madonna)
I have nothing (Whitney Houston)
Bushmen of Savannah (Antti Rissanen)
Believe (Cher)
Shallow (Lady Gaga)
Show must go on (Queen)
Final Countdown (Europe)

The most astonishing piece was flawless version of Chaka Khan's Night in Tunisia

007Shortz

Stacey Kent - Landslide from the album Breakfast on the morning tram. My favorite version of this song. It was written by Stevie Nicks around 1975 while visiting Aspen, Colorado, at a time when she was considering whether to return to education or continue with music.

Last edited:

CapMan

Major Contributor
IMG_6817.jpeg

An antidote to the smooth jazz replicants :)

Great band with Joe Sample and Steve Gadd amongst others

007Shortz

Great band with Joe Sample and Steve Gadd amongst others
Steve Gadd has really done a lot for the evolution of music. I sometimes have the impression that he's on every other record I have.
And don't forget the legendary drum battle with Dave Weckle and Vinnie Colaiuta!

CapMan

Major Contributor
Steve Gadd has really done a lot for the evolution of music. I sometimes have the impression that he's on every other record I have.
And don't forget the legendary drum battle with Dave Weckle and Vinnie Colaiuta!
He has the most amazing sense of time and groove, not showy, just tasteful. He's touring again with the Blicher, Hemmer, Gadd band (London in November) . At 77 he is a true legend.

Try the track Lady Tamborine from this

IMG_6818.jpeg

Top Bottom