• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Feel it in the chest track.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Love the Houndstooth track from @Count Arthur and I'm also partial to classics like Mezzanine suggested by @Eckerslad.

I usually use this one for high impact—I think rapid-fire kick drum is what you want for the chest test:

OP
E

ehabheikal

It's probably not the tracks, and I assume you have EQ or tone controls so you can turn-up the bass?

Two 8-inch speakers have about the same piston area as one 12-inch. Size isn't everything, but generally larger drivers and larger boxes can put-out more bass.

I'm an old-school big-speaker guy and IMO a pair of 8-inch woofers is "small", and especially small for a subwoofer.

Right. Pro subs used for live music or in clubs are usually, large, ported, and tuned to go down to around 40Hz. For reference, the lowest note on a standard electric guitar is about 42Hz. Speaker design is a compromise and by not trying to go lower, they can make it efficient and loud to fill a large space with bass you can feel in your body.

Pro studio subs don't need the same compromises. The space is smaller and and they usually have plenty of budget for more amps & subs if necessary. And generally, home subs don't need as much power or efficiency (again a smaller space) so good home subwoofers often go down to around 20Hz. And with a good home sub and enough power you can get enough bass to feel.
I have 2 yamaha hs8s 8 inch subs and pondering svs 1000pro because i found deal on ebay that can deliver to Egypt.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Myth busted perhaps.....?

Ahhh folksy southerners "it'll wake the dawg up". For half an hour? He does ramble. If you are into it there are many online descriptions of how to mix/tune your kick-drum, and what frequency components make up the sound. Go crazy, but avoid confusion.

But recalling that fun body parts frequency model in the Brüel & Kjær guidance that another member drew my attention to (I can't remember who it was, but thank you) we expect chest response between 50-100 Hz.

Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 5.06.15 am.png

Which nicely overlaps the fundamental frequency range of normal kick-drum tuning (40-80 Hz). So to resonate the chest you want drum/bass/synth/organ etc generating those frequencies (many examples upthread) and reproducing them is certainly in the normal subwoofer operating range.

But for the subjective impression of the so-called kick you also need the upper frequency components. When producing kick drum for example (RHS below, bass guitar is LHS) it's common to cut the mid-bass ~100 Hz slightly to avoid so-called boxiness and reduce competition with bass guitar and—more important for this discussion—boost the 5-7 kHz range significantly where the attack transients occur (2-5 kHz is also important). You don't want to do this when re-producing recorded music of course, but you do want your subwoofer and main speakers correctly time-aligned at the listening position to perceive the maximum subjective impact.

05-Bass-Kik-EQ-1000x342-3900144640.jpg

While producing the same fundamental frequencies, we get a different subjective impression from the ADSR envelope of drums (or synths serving the same purpose) compared to the softer attack of bass strings or sustained synth/organ notes. If the attack is off by several milliseconds you will likely notice, at least subconsciously. The music I suggested above has both kick and slow/deep synth, hence its utility.

To complicate things slightly, notice that you want to be able to reproduce the normal bass range around 100-200 Hz at the same levels/with the same subjective sound power so this aspect of subwoofer/main speaker integration is also important. This is also where SBIR (boundary interference) may be taking notches out of your reproduction FR (frequency response) and this can be tricky to fully resolve in normal listening rooms. I think this is part of where the idea that mid-bass produces chest impact comes from.

Last edited:

Andysu

Major Contributor
just about whole launch feel it

Overseas

Major Contributor
Who cares if OP guy has a good placement of his speakers or sw. .. Just hit his chest.

Andysu

Major Contributor
there is more detailed study white pdf paper Nasa on the frequencies on the body

Andysu

Major Contributor
Alien 3 low frequency at start , plenty chest feel and other
64024076_10157146163725149_6195045404522840064_n.jpg
64609508_10157146164270149_6267027127963484160_n.jpg
64637265_10157146119120149_4654902078143987712_n.jpg

28178_422541775148_1918409_n.jpg

Last edited:

Overseas

Major Contributor
there is more detailed study white pdf paper Nasa on the frequencies on the body
What is NASA guideline for speaker placement for bass optimisation?

blackmetalboon

The track Why So Serious? off The Dark Knight soundtrack gets my windows rattling!

Plenty of other suggestions in an older thread here.

Andysu

Major Contributor
okay JBL THX fans ? here is thee ultimate air buster and i thought last of the mohicans was air buster , what , what was that Amir ? i think he just gave it happy panther with thee highest sinad rating

i believe its part new module for space station or moon mars , and i put in few other keywords , they are checking the PSI to see the max tolerance before it breaks , i guess they must have freq SPL dB data , from looks of it , i guess well over 150dB and would likely rupture hearing if near to it if not worse chest pain damage the amount of air from the camera outside , see that shock wave

also feel sorry for wildlife that lives near that noisy nasa testing ground

Last edited:

ViperDom

He does ramble.
Takes one to know one. He would fit right in in this thread.;)

but you do want your subwoofer and main speakers correctly time-aligned at the listening position to perceive the maximum subjective impact.
Perhaps another myth...
Maybe elaborate on what you are specifically referring too and how it could help the OP.

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Takes one to know one. He would fit right in in this thread.;)

Perhaps another myth...
Maybe elaborate on what you are specifically referring too and how it could help the OP.

I appreciate you are defending your video post, but first you suggest I've written too much, then you want me to elaborate?

Top Bottom