• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bass till it hurts....

OP
dweeeeb2

dweeeeb2

Nausea while playing music at a moderate volume? Were you playing Cardi B, Megan the Stallion, or anyone beginning with “lil”?

But seriously, do you have a fireplace and a carbon monoxide detector? That seems more plausible than bass sickness from a single 12.
I admit I don’t actually understand it. In the last week my wife has felt sick 3 times and each time was the only time the stereo was on. I don’t think she realized the connection. For me the kick drum was intrusive, and hard (some taylor swift was too much). Now I’ve backed it off there hasn’t been any complaints, but Ill keep an eye out for it.
The other big change is the use of Dirac. I’m wondering if its a phase thing or a time alignment thing?

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
Finally got around to using my HTx for crossover and 12"sub. Sounded good, nice and punchy, tight. I was pretty happy for a first swing. It didn't sound overly bassy to me but I'm finding bass to be quite an insidious and sneaky creature. After an hour of medium level music it was becoming a bit annoying.
I tuned my system, using the HTx, to follow the Harmon Curve. The bass was a little bit much for me. I dropped it down 2 dB below 100 Hz, and it is better.

I have not gotten around to tuning with Dirac Live yet. When I do, though, I will have a preset with the bass dropped 2 dB from the Harmon Curve below 100 Hz, and another preset with no bass enhancement - basically just a linear line having the same slope that the Harmon Curve follows above 300 Hz (kind of like your graph posted yesterday).

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are definitely bass heads who want 20” plus subs so that the Jurassic Park cup-of-water effect works in their own family room. I hope to never find myself running away from a T-Rex or avoiding the explosive force of a nuclear bomb but I do love the rumble! One of the bass hits that brought a grin to my face was watching Top Gun Maverick when the Darkstar engines are powered on for the first time.
Watch World War Z at the 1 hour mark. The grenade. Holy heck. Way more powerful than anything in Maverick.

Also, the big explosion near the end of Bond: Spectre.

D

Deleted member 48726

Nausea while playing music at a moderate volume? Were you playing Cardi B, Megan the Stallion, or anyone beginning with “lil”?

But seriously, do you have a fireplace and a carbon monoxide detector? That seems more plausible than bass sickness from a single 12.
If you're not used to bass below ~30 Hz you can get a bit affected. Not implausible at all.

egellings

Major Contributor
Not from here. I'm not a bass fiend myself.

I'm amazed at some people's set ups, not just 2 channel but often in the home theater world, where you have subwoofer and bass fanatics building massive subwoofers, stacks of gigantic drivers because The Can Never Get Enough Bass.

Not something I can relate to. But we all have our fancies.
I find that too much bass is like a gallon of whipped cream on a little wedge of pumpkin pie, Ya gotta wade through the cream to get a fork full of pie. The cream is the bass, the pie, the music.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I find that too much bass is like a gallon of whipped cream on a little wedge of pumpkin pie, Ya gotta wade through the cream to get a fork full of pie. The cream is the bass, the pie, the music.

For music, I think bass has been solved once you get to 30 Hz and lower. There is such limited content in that 20-30 Hz range for music.

For movies, very different story.

Looneybomber

If you're not used to bass below ~30 Hz you can get a bit affected. Not implausible at all.
Most vehicle interiors will have more <30hz content then a large portion of today’s music at moderate volumes. We’re all used to it.

D

Deleted member 48726

Most vehicle interiors will have more <30hz content then a large portion of today’s music at moderate volumes. We’re all used to it.
We are not. It's not the same at all sitting in your car with a large frequency spectrum masking the low ones and listening to music in your home.
It's like saying pink noise is the same as music.:p

Looneybomber

We are not. It's not the same at all sitting in your car with a large frequency spectrum masking the low ones and listening to music in your home.
It's like saying pink noise is the same as music.:p
Music has upper frequencies masking the low frequencies just like in a car.
If not, It’s like saying music is just 30hz sine waves ;-)

Dumdum

There are definitely bass heads who want 20” plus subs so that the Jurassic Park cup-of-water effect works in their own family room. I hope to never find myself running away from a T-Rex or avoiding the explosive force of a nuclear bomb but I do love the rumble! One of the bass hits that brought a grin to my face was watching Top Gun Maverick when the Darkstar engines are powered on for the first time.
Hehe… sometimes too much is just enough

I have a pair of fifteens in six cubic ft each tuned to 20… house damage is real!

Heard a few things moving that sounded like plates in the kitchen… turns out a few items have moved from a 3.5ft high glass shelf in the bathroom and my glass scales exploded funnily enough that was ‘smoke in the air’ top gun - maverick when they are doing the run up the valley at 80 on the AVR

OP
dweeeeb2

dweeeeb2

Hehe… sometimes too much is just enough

I have a pair of fifteens in six cubic ft each tuned to 20… house damage is real!

Heard a few things moving that sounded like plates in the kitchen… turns out a few items have moved from a 3.5ft high glass shelf in the bathroom and my glass scales exploded funnily enough that was ‘smoke in the air’ top gun - maverick when they are doing the run up the valley at 80 on the AVR
I am getting all sorts of rattles around my old house. At 32Hz there’s something loose up in the roof, and at other ranges the old windows rattle. The china in the kitchen isn’t much of a fan either . This is all at loud levels though.

Top Bottom