• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FAQ Questions on Audio/ASR

Status
Not open for further replies.

threni

Major Contributor
Do (most/untrained) people favour high fidelity vs "warm"/non-"sterile" sound?

uwotm8

Do interconnect cables and speaker cables have an effect on sound quality?
I'd change it to WHY they affect the sound quality;)

My own questions would be far from that "warm bath" for graph listeners, so here be it:

- Why bigger speakers always sound "bigger"/fuller/better than smaller ones despite similar graphs
- Why somewhat like iLoud Micro, while being unbeliveably good for its size, can't stand against even average 5" monitor
- Why despite all ruler-flat FR graph of a cheap speaker, another one, far more expensive but not that flat, can easily sound way more pleasing
- Why listening tests matter a lot
- What you should be aware of buying a new Chi-Fi device (hardware and software issues, reliability etc)
Oh, and a platinum one:
- Why you shouldn't believe in D-class amps (especially cheap ones) magically low distortion measured at 1 kHz and should check if it turns into pumpkin on higher frequencies

Despite looking like fat trolling, this is not. Mostly

P.S. The number of this post speaks for itself:

1*oA63oJ2qoBYiIQ4Wzy8YKw.png

Last edited:

capt.s

Step Response Measurement - It would seem intuitively (to me) to be a very valuable and audible differentiator between speakers. It's included in every review but generally glossed over as inconsequential. Why is that?

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I have the upgrade bug. What area would produce the greatest improvement (Source Kit, Amplification, Room treatments/EQ, Speakers or interconnections, cables and power cords?

How much do you pay your Staff?

I see and read the terminology of “Snake Oil” can you help me understand what this terminology means?

In your learned experience what range of the Frequency Response (20 hZ - 20K hZ) is most important for selecting Speakers based on their measurements?

When EQing my Room is there any part of the Frequency Response range better left alone ?

Why is it important for me to have my Hearing Tested and how can I use this knowledge to improve my enjoyment of my audio system?

What’s the best Album/Cd You ever heard?

Can I be an Audiophile and still remain Married or will I forever love my music and sleep with my Cats?

Why does using the term Audiophile around here elicit such emotional outbursts of denial?

Grills or no grills? What’s your preference and why?

Why is employing EQ considered “sacrilegious” in many of the Audiophile circles and what is your opinion?

What exactly is this Harman Curve I read so much about? Why is it so important for you in your reviews?

What do the Tags and labels mean on the various different Members mean? Is there a list anywhere?

Does ASR have a third rail and if I touch it or talk about it I will be in trouble? Any specific Topics that I should avoid that are not permitted?

Why do you do this? What started your journey? What is your Mission Statement for ASR’s existence?

:cool:

Last edited:

Esprit

Forum Donor
Why isn't an expensive product necessarily better than a cheaper one?

Why does that magazine write that product "X" is better than product "Y" if the measurements say otherwise?

Why do my friends tell me that the measurements are not correct and that they notice differences between products that have the same measurements?

Wizard509

Forum Donor
Topics/procedures that newbies such as myself need when looking at moving from "old school" equipment to modern components.

A glossary of terms for newbies. I spent many hours looking through threads before stumbling across the term "passive preamp." I needed that vocabulary in order to properly search for a way to control output volume in my new system.

Ponnie

USB vs. Toslink vs. Coax to a DAC
How do they rank and what are the pros and cons of each?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why do all of you measure and listen to test tones only, instead of enjoying music?

What kind of music is best to reveal flaws in equipment? What kind is best to hide flaws?

What is the circle of confusion?

Who are the experts in audio you mention here? Can you list them and what they do or did accomplish?

Do you have links to training material (videos, tutorials, books) which help me to understand audio and choose/setup a really good audio system?

How do I choose speakers matching to the size and shape of my room?

How do I place speakers in a given room so they sound best?

Last edited:

jooc

These would be very good topics for a good-but-succinct explanation in a FAQ:

a) What exactly 'SINAD' means, both technically and a brief subjective description of how low-SINAD would sound compared to high (in a scenario where the delta was high enough to hear the difference)

b) Succinct description of speaker sensitivity and how it affects 'loudness', maybe include link to that online Crown amplifier calculator

c) Succinct description of speaker impedance measures and what they mean (4, 6, 8 ohm speakers?)

d) Succinct description of SPL and perceived loudness at different frequencies. There are many good threads on this already, but it would be great to distill it down to one accurate paragraph for a FAQ, if possible

e) Explanation of the difference between what a network streamer like a WiiM does and what a Bluetooth device does. This may be too basic a subject for this forum, but elsewhere out there I encounter many people thinking WiiM is just another brand of Amazon echo, or some more-fancy Bluetooth speaker that your phone streams lossy music to.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
If I want a job in audio, what skills do I need and how do I get them?

Triliza

Forum Donor
- What is the equipment you use to perform the reviews? Why should we trust it, isn't human's hearing better than an electronic device?
- What's the (perceived) difference in soundstage between tower speakers and bookshelf (+subs) speakers?
- What is the proper way to integrate a sub into a system?
- What is a blind test, how does auditory memory work, am I biased?
- Do our ears/brain need some time to get used to another curve from the one we were used to?
- What frequencies should we EQ, only the bass?
- What's up with the loudness equalization thing, should we care or not?
- What's up with AVRs and ASR? I see many people recommending them for 2(.x) channel setups?

Mikig

I would divide the decalogue into 2 categories: very simple

1) a behavioral part,

with the related reactions from the staff, nothing bad obviously, but measures brought by the moderators to avoid deviations of discourse, or, measures used to "sanction incorrect behavior : from serious insults (immediate user deletion) to posting illegal content, removal and deletion of content and temporary suspension of the user…..etc etc

2) a part of content:

must resemble a Constitution, and not a Code. therefore few and clear principles, with relative subjective/objective explanation, containing the key points that move the site. nothing more.

But then again, 10 statements would be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom