• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

External DAC for my PC with optical

zerowalker

Hi,

So i am not that familiar with these stuff so i rely on those that are.

// Background story - START

Currently i got an ZxR SoundBlaster in my PC, which i think might be a pretty good card (might be wrong),
i just know that there was something with the 48khz in SoundBlaster cards (at least some?), that everything was internally converted to it, which is bad if that's the case.
Now it might not matter as i personally always use 48khz in Windows, so i get resampling on Windows anyhow, and i think that one is pretty good.
With that you cna probably see that i am not a audiophile per se.

But that doesn't mean i am happy with anything. Why i don't listen with bit-sample exactness is simply cause it's too much of a hassle,
i can't use ASIO or WASAPI Exclusive all the time cause i need then other things break, and i switch around and do so many stuff all the times, so yeah, laziness!

// Background story - END

// Reason for wanting DAC - START

That was the backstory, so you know where i come from, which might help explaining stuff:)

Now for the question at hand.

I would like an external DAC, one cause ZxR SoundBlaster is not able to filter noise generated by the GPU (it's mostly that one i believe) during certain work.
Pretty much high fps games, i got no clue why the fps plays a role, but i guess some part goes haywire there and generate high frequencies (just guessing).
So my thought is that even if it's not a pain usually (cause it's not really noticeable unless it's very low or silent in my headphones) it's not something i want to be there.

Second is, i am guessing external DACs are generally better at what they do, as Soundcards are made for"Gaming" and thus focus on things that appeal to them.
At least i believe that is the case, ZxR is clearly a "Gaming" card,
even though (as far as i know) there's no Hardware processing that game uses in Soundcards anymore,
cause the CPU is simply strong enough to do it, and there's no "the Soundcard has to do this",
it's just shuffling around data (As far as i know, please correct me if i am wrong).

// Reason for wanting DAC - END

// Reason for wanting Optical - START

Now for the DAC i would like Optical. Why?
Well i am not a big fan of USB cause it's software and polling driven,
thus if the OS decides that is has too much to do, it will ignore data which will cause hiccups in the sound.

Now i know this is not a common thing to occur, but i know it can happen cause my Mic which is USB (which i would like to replace as well,
so if you got some recommendations shout out) will drop out, had a total pain with that when i was syncing stuff and checking the samples and the clock rate.
PCI-E cards aren't immune cause the CPU has to do something at some point in order to handle data to begin with,
but it's mostly hardware based so you need extreme cases for that to break up, at least in my testing.

// Reason for wanting Optical - END

Now that's a lot of "If, maybe" haha, but hopefully something made sense.

And please be critical, i might prefer and think in some ways, but that doesn't mean i don't accept changes,
or at least knowledge where my understanding is lacking.
My understanding of audio is severely limited, and my understanding of hardware is mostly unrelated to the "audio parts" if you will.

And of course if i don't make any sense, which is quite common, do tell and i will try to clear things up!

EDIT:

Totally forgot to mention that i got an amplifier as it might matter, this one: https://jdslabs.com/product/objective2/

Last edited:

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
check master sinad index and choose what u like. Schiit Modi 3 might fit the bill. Topping D30 too.

OP
Z

zerowalker

Thanks, those seem to be in the "good" range so that's nice.
Is there some European retailer for these things, cause importing from the US would end up being very expensive.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
D30 has optical input and a separate power supply, so it will not be directly connected to your computer by wire.

OP
Z

zerowalker

Yeah, that's it.
Roger, it has been ordered:)

So if i am not mistaken. I will connect my digital output to the DAC, then connect it to my Amp?
The DAC (and AMP) will have have separate power, so none of these are directly connected (except via the power line of course).

And i hope there's nothing wrong with that setup?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Roger, it has been ordered:)

So if i am not mistaken. I will connect my digital output to the DAC, then connect it to my Amp?
The DAC (and AMP) will have have separate power, so none of these are directly connected (except via the power line of course).

And i hope there's nothing wrong with that setup?
Well, you have to have an optical output. If you have a Mac, it will probably output at 192 khz. Most PC's with Realtec chips are limited to 96. That is, they might work faster than 96k, but only at 16 bit. It's no big deal since I doubt anyone can hear the difference between 192k and 96k down sampled from 192k, and besides not that much around is over 96k anyway, or even 48k.

OP
Z

zerowalker

Okay got the Topping D30 some week ago,
sadly it was imported from China apparantly, i thought Amazon.co.uk would be Europe, so i got an added fee of about 12 euro,
but still worth it luckily:)

And well, it works as expected i guess, i currently have it and my O2 Amp stacked on each other, and it receives audio from my PC through optical 24bit 48khz.
So basically it goes.

PC -> Optical 24bit 48khz -> Topping D30 -> 2x RCA to 3.5mm -> O2 Amp -> HD 280 Pro Headphones.

I think that it should be correct, and it completely solves the EMI i get when the GPU does stuff, which was the main goal:)!

Top Bottom