• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ex Machina

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
to keep this on topic with the thread title:

Ex machina painting & stereo.jpg

Andy Coda

Hi, I’m new to the forum but wanted to add my experience. I bought a pair of Quasar’s around 6 weeks ago, my own pair arrived last week, and can honestly say I am amazed by them. I produce, mix and master and find them incredible for depth, detail and sound stage. I had been intending on getting ATC SCM50asl or 110asl’s and had them all on demo in my room at the same time. I’d had my heart set on 110’s for years, still do tbh, but the Quasars blew them out the water.

if I were to be super critical there are a couple of things I’d pick on: the dsp is obvious when no sound is playing, almost like ground noise; the speakers regularly pop when turning off due to dc offset (so I’ve been told) as the dsp part takes longer to power down than the speaker, but they’re working on a firmware update to correct that.

Aside that these are the best speakers I’ve heard and have started listening to everything I love again.

the only speaker I didn’t get to demo and would like to have is the D&D 8C’s but I think they’d be too small for me, likewise the Pulsars.

the Quasars go loud effortlessly without any break up and it’s remarkably easy to still have a conversation at level. I’ve been told that is due to the distortion being so low and so high up the frequency range (27khz or 33khz I think before distortion starts I was told).

to anyone who gets the opportunity to hear Ex Machina’s I highly recommend!

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interview with co-founder from Sweetwater.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Has anyone managed to hear either the Pulsar and Quasar?

My friend just purchased a set and raves about them.

I am coming from a trinnov system running ATC 2 way/JL F113 sub, can't see how they keep up but he assures me they will :oops:.

Keen to hear others thoughts on this modern approach to speaker design.
Only analog input?

I can't really stand the checkboard look of the midrange cone. I consider lots of studio monitors around 10-15k range and even Genelec looks better than them. I'm not saying the look is everything, but if I spend that much money on a pair of speakers I want them to look good in my room. I also don't see why Pulsar's price range, 11k-12k, is in any way justified when competing with Dutch Dutch 8C which is the same price range, or Mesanovic RTM10 which costs 4k less than that and has basically all features it gets.

I don't want to talk bad about them because I did my research in my next big studio monitor purchase and this new company stands out like Mesanovic. They both use proprietary DSP, have great flat frequency response, use good special material tweeter or midrange cone. However, Ex Machina Quasar costs 12K to hit 30hz flat and Mesanovic RTM10 costs 7k to hit 30hz flat. Ex Machina Pulsar which costs 10k only hit 35hz flat.
They are certainly direct competitors and I tend to see Mesanovic RTM10 as a more competitive and reasonable option. Even some long-living legendary brand like Focal only charges their flagship monitor Focal Trio 11 around 7-8k. They should be less aggressive in their price if they don't have all the fancy room acoustics DSP features like D&D 8C.
Considering the second-hand market of this new brand is so small and it's hard to sell them if I don't like them, I will pass this brand.

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It is hard when you look at Genelec at $8,000 (8351b) or $10,000 (8361a) and also look at Ex Machina Pulsar or Quasar II ($9,500 or $13,000) or Mesanovic ($8,000). Ex Machina introduced version 2 of their monitors, which hurt the early adopters in terms of resale value.

With Mesanovic RTM10, they are competitive with the 8351b in terms of having better bass extension, but they don't have the built-in room optimization software or a digital input. And personally, I think the RTM10 looks much better (subjective, of course). If they had been closer to $6,000, I would have gotten them (and would still do so). I like them a lot.

Elkios

If WW3 does not break out I could have a set of Pulsar mk2 at home in next few month's . Will report back my subjective feeling's . Shipping to Oz is currently quite long and the mk2 series has only gone into full production very recently.

Dolomick

If WW3 does not break out I could have a set of Pulsar mk2 at home in next few month's . Will report back my subjective feeling's . Shipping to Oz is currently quite long and the mk2 series has only gone into full production very recently.
No WW3, did you get them?!

Elkios

No WW3, did you get them?!
No not yet . My current job is remote electrician in the mining industry outback Australia so no point as I'm not home . Still debating on going to Quasars when I do . Have you auditioned some Exmachinas ?

Dolomick

Apparently they spent 2 years working with SEAS and their DSP is proprietary and the materials are different. How that translates into the real world is not known to me.

Elkios

Seems based on SEAS KingRO4Y with custom DSP?

Seems based on SEAS KingRO4Y with custom DSP?

Besides custom dsp drivers in reality are not the same . The geometry on the mid and tweeter besides material are likely different . Cabinets are also not a standard material . You could say people could build a similar speaker to quite a few other manufacturers mentioned on this thread useing the driver from the same manufacturer but they are all custom specs.

Torbachkristensen

This was probably the most disappointing speaker I have had in my studio, considering the price tag. They appear super precise at first, because of a severe lack of lowmid information and a very “fast” transient response. They feel sluggish and untamed in the sub region however, which makes the overall impression out of balance, the D&D 8C beat them by miles in pretty much every aspect - my soffit mounted ATC110 where ahead of both them, as the whole room is built and treated around them and the headroom is enormous.

The right pair of ATC in the right room is the benchmark in natural and effortless presentation IME, unfortunately that room can be an expensive endeavor.

Top Bottom