• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ex Machina

wgards8

Has anyone managed to hear either the Pulsar and Quasar?

My friend just purchased a set and raves about them.

I am coming from a trinnov system running ATC 2 way/JL F113 sub, can't see how they keep up but he assures me they will :oops:.

Keen to hear others thoughts on this modern approach to speaker design.

MarkS

Major Contributor
Not heard them, but on paper they sure look good:
https://exmachinasound.com
This in particular:
Proprietary DSP Calibration
Using dedicated SHARC® DSPs and AKM Velvet Sound™ AD/DA, each speaker is calibrated to flat frequency and phase response, ensuring perfect speaker matching.

dfuller

Major Contributor
A friend of mine swears by them, but I'm not convinced. Another friend hated the demo pair he was sent - but he also loves the ATC sound so there's that.

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
ATC 2 way ? Not too hard to keep up with those.

I'd sell those and bought Quasars/Pulsars in a heartbeat. But that's just me.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Quasar actually looks really good, though I couldn't find any detailed measurements. Positives I see.

1. +/- 1dB - if this is true, it should have very good on axis(better than most ATC I would guess)
2. A waveguide - given that ATC don't use waveguides from what I've seen(on the tweeter), this should mean that the Quasar's off axis response is smoother than the ATC's
3. 23Hz -6dB point. - not quite full range, but very close

Objectively, I would expect them to outperform the ATCs for the price, but without full measurements, it's no given. Also, regardless of objective performance, there's always personal preference. Which ATCs do you have?

PKAudio

My initial thoughts were that this Seas coaxial tweeter responses would be...well, similar to MR18 model.
But measurement at 0 and 20deg on this website look actually good.
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ex-machina-soundworks-pulsar

And here is horizontal polar map from Pulsar/Quasar manual, just that scales make it more difficult to read and looking better that it actually is.:

Attachments

• Pulsar Quasar DI.png
    Pulsar Quasar DI.png
    479.8 KB · Views: 226

Elkios

I am coming from a trinnov system running ATC 2 way/JL F113 sub, can't see how they keep up but he assures me they will :oops:.

Hi guy's I listened to Pulsar's for about an hour .First pair in Australia . Subjectively to my ear's they were outstanding .

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Brand new user, touting an untested new product in their first post?

Lemme guess, you're from Brooklyn?

:rolleyes:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
No . Hobart Tasmania in Australia.Heard In Melbourne . Is this my welcome
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry we've had some trolling around here in the last few days, and it can be a little difficult sorting the wheat, i.e., sincere people, from the chaff, i.e., people using dishonest tactics to justify their shillery and dumb purchases.

Elkios

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry we've had some trolling around here in the last few days, and it can be a little difficult sorting the wheat, i.e., sincere people, from the chaff, i.e., people using dishonest tactics to justify their shillery and dumb purchases.
To be honest I have noticed . Unfortunate as I could say a lot about the experience I have with real instruments I play vs the speaker's in my profile pic and what I heard when listening to Pulsar's. I'm actually fuming.Maybe Jim should say something

Reactions: Zvu

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No . Hobart Tasmania in Australia.Heard In Melbourne . Is this my welcome
Not at all.

Responding to the OP.

Each "Post reply" tags the quoted user. Entry #9 replies to wgards8 at the top of the response. It's coincidental that my skeptical inquiry followed your post. It is *not coincidental* that many of the new threads are started by users that spontaneously promote a product on arrival.

Elkios

Not at all.

Responding to the OP.

Each "Post reply" tags the quoted user. Entry #9 replies to wgards8 at the top of the response. It's coincidental that my skeptical inquiry followed your post. It is *not coincidental* that many of the new threads are started by users that spontaneously promote a product on arrival.
Hi Jim.

Not a problem . Thank you for educating me. Lucky I did not comment about the Gen 8341 prior to the test here let alone the ATC 19active;). Back in 2011 I heard the Gen 8260 at a local Ozzy HiFI show and thought they were better than any of the mega dollar speaker's yet knew nothing about Genelec. I'm not brand biased either. I also believe a trained ear will identify good sound . My opinion of the Pulsar is authentic. They will in the next few month's have a place in my lounge. Cheer's Jim and sorry to you for my confusion.

OP
W

wgards8

Quasar actually looks really good, though I couldn't find any detailed measurements. Positives I see.

1. +/- 1dB - if this is true, it should have very good on axis(better than most ATC I would guess)
2. A waveguide - given that ATC don't use waveguides from what I've seen(on the tweeter), this should mean that the Quasar's off axis response is smoother than the ATC's
3. 23Hz -6dB point. - not quite full range, but very close

Objectively, I would expect them to outperform the ATCs for the price, but without full measurements, it's no given. Also, regardless of objective performance, there's always personal preference. Which ATCs do you have?

SCM20ASL.

I have arranged for a home demo of both the SCM50ASL and Quasar. Will post feedback in a few weeks or so.

dfuller

Major Contributor
the 20ASLs aren't bad speakers, but yeah - generally lacking in low end.

Elkios

Hey, I’m in Melbourne. Welcome!

where did you hear them?
Audio Chocolate.Guess they could be open again in a few week's after this lock down end's I managed make Thursday night . No one else has heard them . They have the Quasar as well . Not even out of box yet . Very exciting . They really kick arse.There is a review of the Pulsar by Phil Sword Sound on Sound magazine and the Pulsar in Tape Off . Limited science based test's .

Elkios

Hey, I’m in Melbourne. Welcome!

where did you hear them?
Audio Chocolate.Guess they could be open again in a few week's after this lock down end's I managed make Thursday night . No one else has heard them . They have the Quasar as well . Not even out of box yet . Very exciting . They really kick arse.There is a review of the Pulsar by Phil Sword Sound on Sound magazine and the Pulsar in Tape Off . Limited science based test's .
Sorry Quasar in Tape Op . Phil ward in SOS not enough sleep last night

Elkios

SCM20ASL.

I have arranged for a home demo of both the SCM50ASL and Quasar. Will post feedback in a few weeks or so.
Will be great to hear your opinion . I heard scm150a recently in a very well treated room. Very familiar sound . There was no denial of the so called house sound .

Top Bottom