• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

(Europe) Master Deals Thread on Audio Product Sales - Discussion

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just seen this thread for the first time, and consider it well placed.
Investigated some headphones and their pricing a minute ago and found a lot of reduced prices by 'open box' or 'refurbished', distributed by manufacturers like Sennheiser, Beyerdynamics, Hifiman ... and on selling platforms, and with prices down to 20 % of basic.
Seems, the HP-Hype is at is end and prices normalize according to performance.

Same may be seen with other electronic/audio stuff as emerging well performing gears are marketed well (supported too by some ASR reviews ;) ) for more than competitive pricing.

I don't now (exactly ;) ) the producer's and reseller's margines, but there seems to be place for interpretation, at least.

Sorry, no discussion about a special topic, more generally ....
... but wait: just got a RME ADI 2/4 SE at 2K€ ....

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Investigated some headphones and their pricing a minute ago and found a lot of reduced prices by 'open box' or 'refurbished', distributed by manufacturers like Sennheiser, Beyerdynamics, Hifiman ... and on selling platforms, and with prices down to 20 % of basic.

Same may be seen with other electronic/audio stuff as emerging well performing gears are marketed well (supported too by some ASR reviews ;) ) for more than competitive pricing.

I don't now (exactly ;) ) the producer's and reseller's margines, but there seems to be place for interpretation, at least.

Sorry, no discussion about a special topic, more generally ....
... but wait: just got a RME ADI 2/4 SE at 2K€ ....
Yepp, I bought my HD 660 S from the Sennheiser Outlet in 2020. They were under 2/3 retail price and were in mint condition (they must have been a shop return as they clearly hadn't been used or even opened).

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I consider it failed, but i'm not mad about it, it was an experiment.

I personally have given up on headphones in terms of fidelity, they just don't bring a stereo effect i can enjoy. So i just keep my Beyerdynamics because i can buy replacement parts like pads or headbands for ages. Good enough for Zoom calls ;-)

I got the feeling in recent month many good deals have dried up. Even hidden-audio disappoints as of late.
Where are my deals?:eek:

Yepp, I bought my HD 660 S from the Sennheiser Outlet in 2020. They were under 2/3 retail price and were in mint condition (they must have been a shop return as they clearly hadn't been used or even opened).
I never had bad experiences buying used from regular dealers, i guess people order two or three pairs, test them and send the ones back they don't like. It makes sense too.
It sucks for the online shops, but such is life.

Danaxus

I got the feeling in recent month many good deals have dried up. Even hidden-audio disappoints as of late.
Where are my deals?:eek:
My guess is inflation hit companies so hard this year, they can't afford their usual deals. We'll have to see how Black Friday plays out though.

kik

I got a pair of Aria 936 and I'm now wondering which DAC/preamp/amp would nicely partner with them, do you have any suggestion? The specs say they need an map stable on the 2.8ohm region .

Salt

Forum Donor
DAC/preamp do not affect performance of loudspeakers, so use what You like.
For amp have a look at those with purify or hypex modules, can't go much wrong with those.
There a lots of tests of those in this forum.

EdW

I got a pair of Aria 936 and I'm now wondering which DAC/preamp/amp would nicely partner with them, do you have any suggestion? The specs say they need a map stable on the 2.8ohm region .
Do you need a preamp? If you’ve got digital sources only perhaps you can drive direct from the DAC (with internal volume control and remote). Choose from the top of the line DACs from ASR listings checking that they have inputs you need and offer - for example 12v trigger. Balanced XLR 4V is probably best output.
Only one DAC with balance control I’m aware of - the Toping D90SE or LE (non MQA. You, most likely don’t use MQA, so consider this model over the more expensive SE model?). But no trigger! Balance control isn’t normally required though.
Several of the slightly newer Topping DACs and SMSL offer near identical performance and will give you trigger capability

As @Salt recommends look at power amps from Purifi and Hypex. Good current drive capability is best with this speaker - here Purifi is perhaps better than some Hypex models? Purifi Iet400 series aren’t bad into a little under 3 Ohms or so and you probably don’t need the ultimate current drive of 7040 series (more expensive).
In EU consider AudioPhonics HPA S400ET reviewed on this site:

in the US perhaps consider Buckeye amplifiers
For slightly more elegant case work perhaps look at BoXem or Apollon for example (both EU based). But you'll pay more.
Just a few examples . . . Happy hunting :)

kik

Do you need a preamp?
I need the function but it can be a DAC/pre-amp, because as of today I only have the Factal Aria 936... and my computer, where I store all my music!
As @Salt recommends look at power amps from Purifi and Hypex.
I'll look at that thanks. If you have suggestion for the DAC, I'm all ears

Salt

Forum Donor
I need the function but it can be a DAC/pre-amp, because as of today I only have the Factal Aria 936... and my computer, where I store all my music!

It's a question of topology.
Do You want to run music from computer through DAC to speakers or tend to a more independent solution? If first, there are a lot of qualified DAC revues here.

My (not completely straight) solution is Eversolo DMP-A 6 with internal storage (NVME) that can drive amp flawless (but in my case RME ADI is in interposed due to turntable) if there is no analog source.

kik

It's a question of topology.
Do You want to run music from computer through DAC to speakers or tend to a more independent solution? If first, there are a lot of qualified DAC revues here.

My (not completely straight) solution is Eversolo DMP-A 6 with internal storage (NVME) that can drive amp flawless (but in my case RME ADI is in interposed due to turntable) if there is no analog source.
Yes the plan is really to play music from the computer.
Indeed, there are at least the SMSL D-6s Balanced DAC, SMSL DL200 AUDIO DAC and Eversolo DAC Z-6. There're actually so many DAC with positive review that I'm kind of lost.

Salt

Forum Donor

EdW

Topping DACs with trigger for example - both just about state of the art to complement a Purifi amp
1. Topping 70 pro sabre

2. Topping DX7 pro + with headphone drive

But with smaller balanced connectors and no fancy display
Checkout the features and connections in the reviews and follow the threads to discover issues people may have unearthed

we now come onto the delicate issues of reliability and getting Chinese hifi replaced - the Chinese DACs may not be as thoroughly tested before shipping as for say a BoXem amp! There is some merit in buying the DAC from a good EU supplier (Audiophonics for example)

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got a pair of Aria 936 and I'm now wondering which DAC/preamp/amp would nicely partner with them, do you have any suggestion? The specs say they need an map stable on the 2.8ohm region .
Well, i would say you look at https://mehlau.net/audio/spl/ and aim for 93dB to find out how much watts you need. As you have two speakers you have to add +3dB to the result. 96dB is plenty loud.
The sensitivity of the Arias is high, thanks to the large membrane area. You can expect 93dB+3dB with 2x10 watts in 4m distance to the speakers:

1699741070791.png

Any amp can deliver 2x10 watts, but to be sure you look for amps that have 2 ohm measurements, for example the Yamaha A-S 301:

1699741309319.png

You should be able to buy one used, use Hifishark to search a few used hifi sites and filter for your country.
In case your listening position is very close, you would have to look for an amp that has very little hiss, because these speakers have such a high sensitivity. The Yamaha is low hiss, but in case you decide on something else, make sure it's hiss is low too.
To get music from your computer into the Yamaha you would either use the mainboards line out into the amps RCA or buy a cheap USB sound card for 20€ that has optical out and use that into the amp. I would prefer that solution.

kik

In case your listening position is very close, you would have to look for an amp that has very little hiss, because these speakers have such a high sensitivity. The Yamaha is low hiss, but in case you decide on something else, make sure it's hiss is low too.
To get music from your computer into the Yamaha you would either use the mainboards line out into the amps RCA or buy a cheap USB sound card for 20€ that has optical out and use that into the amp. I would prefer that solution.
Thanks! Or a miniDSP for DAC/pre-amp and a dedicated amp like the AUDIOPHONICS HPA-S400ET ?

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! Or a miniDSP for DAC/pre-amp and a dedicated amp like the AUDIOPHONICS HPA-S400ET ?
Sure, the amp is 2 ohm stable and a MiniDSP can be a great DAC/preamp, i myself use the MiniDSP Flex in that role. It will be a great setup, beyond doubt.
But i think the power amp is a bit pricey, you likely can't use the extra power it has or hear the excellent measurements it offers.

I would go for a integrated amp instead, you can use it when your situation changes, like a move or upgrades/downgrades/sidegrades, and expect to sell it for almost what you paid if you bought used.
I got my Yamaha used for 1450€ and would expect it to sell for 1200€ now, three years later.

Last edited:

kik

I would go for a integrated amp instead, you can use it when your situation changes and expect to sell it for almost what you paid used.
Thanks for your answer. I've shortlisted the Audiophonics DAW-S250NC DAC, SABAJ A30a and Smsl-vmv-a2. They're in the 400-750€ price range, more affordable for my wallet. They share the same characteristics so it's hard to choose.

Top Bottom