• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are the WiiM pro + and Audiophonics ncore mpa s250 poweramp the best products of this year, regarding value ?

Tangband

Major Contributor
With WiiM pro + you also have a good dac and a preamp that one can use directly with volume control to a Hypex Ncore 250 poweramplifier .

This sort of technical excellence is unheard of just a year ago for this price .

Are there other candidates thats maybe even better for this sum of money ?

Discuss ! :)

staticV3

Master Contributor
Are there other candidates thats maybe even better for this sum of money ?
Nord sell an NC252 Amp for £350 (Link). Converted to EUR that's a cool 100€ cheaper than the equivalent Audiophonics Amp.
Though I don't know how much of that discount would be lost to import duties for folks outside of the UK.

Edit: I forgot that the Audiophonics comes with 12V Trigger and on the Nord it's an Add-on.
With that added, the price difference shrinks to 65€.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This sort of technical excellence is unheard of just a year ago for this price .
Those Audiophonics amps have been around for at least 3 years. I bought 5 of them in 2020 for €390 ex VAT, although I think the USD/EUR exchange rate is a bit better these days even though they are now €415 ex VAT.

Either way, I agree that Hypex NC252MPs for < $500 whether from Nord or Audiophonics are the sweet spot in amplifier value for money.

Michael

OP
Tangband

Tangband

Major Contributor
Those Audiophonics amps have been around for at least 3 years. I bought 5 of them in 2020 for €390 ex VAT, although I think the USD/EUR exchange rate is a bit better these days even though they are now €415 ex VAT.

Either way, I agree that Hypex NC252MPs for < $500 whether from Nord or Audiophonics are the sweet spot in amplifier value for money.

Michael
I have bought the audiophonics nc250.
Listening evaluation in progress…

MCH

Major Contributor
Nord sell an NC252 Amp for £350 (Link). Converted to EUR that's a cool 100€ cheaper than the equivalent Audiophonics Amp.
Though I don't know how much of that discount would be lost to import duties for folks outside of the UK.

Edit: I forgot that the Audiophonics comes with 12V Trigger and on the Nord it's an Add-on.
With that added, the price difference shrinks to 65€.
Final prices to me in central Europe:
Audiophonics 482 eur
Nord (w xrl+trigger): 581+ 15 (fees).

OP
Tangband

Tangband

Major Contributor
I think the PA5II Plus (2x125 Watt) together with the WiiM Pro Plus is a nice combo value for 500€.
Yes, probably.

Listening evaluation is done regarding mpa nc250 from audiophonics. Its a really good sounding amplifier, one of the best I have listened to regardless of price. The sensitivity is a little hight though, resulting in a rather high gain.
It also have about the same width as the WiiM pro+, so it will look nice on the bench. Both WiiM pro+ and mpa 250 has 12 v trigger, meaning the WiiM can turn on the power amp.

Last edited:

Yoku-San

Which speakers need more than 125W to produce a loudness level for "normal" listening?

If you don't need 250W then I think the PA5II or PA5II Plus are good options for the price. And the measurements are even better than the Hypex NC252 (but I guess these differences are not audible). Maybe a NC122MP based Amp makes more sense in a lot of settings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom