• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Ethan Winer Builds a Wire Null Tester

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Patreon Donor
I remember when I was a kid reading about how people used to claim they had horses that could do math. They would say "what is 2+1 and the horse would stamp its foot 3 times. If you watched what was happening closely you could see the person doing something like smiling or nodding when the horse got to the right number. The horse picked up on the nearly imperceivable reaction to know when to stop.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clever_Hans

Very relevant to this thread.

mansr

It explains the need for running listening tests double blind, and how doing proper controls can eliminate common but unintended errors. Hans's owner was an honest guy and honestly believed his horse could do math. He was honestly wrong.
The horse actually was quite clever, just not in the way presented.

SIY

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Exactly so, yes. The canonical "wife in the kitchen heard the difference" is a brilliant example of Clever Hans in action.

AndrovichIV

Patreon Donor
Considering that multi-million dollar companies are built upon this premise is staggering to me.
I think there is a segment that has a continuous need to update their systems and they are not going to update by buying cheaper or the same priced cables.
There has been more than one blind test of mega-buck speaker cables vs cheapie cables.
No reliable identification of either cable, not even coin toss level.
FYI, if it's not "even coin toss level" that means that you can identify cables. Coin toss level implies the least amount of differentiation between cables