• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Erin excellent Video on a good Budget hifi

ta240

Major Contributor
What a funny world we live in.

Grown men watching other men who make puerile videos and have a long-winded discussion about that, only to have the man concerned make another video about the discussion. And it continues, ad nauseam. :facepalm:
When they started connecting remote computers together to share all the information in the world I'm sure this is what they had in mind.

Mark the calendar for the day my spirit died. I'm going to go eat a Tide Pod and kick my neighbors door in the middle of the night...

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Grown men watching other men who make puerile videos and have a long-winded discussion about that, only to have the man concerned make another video about the discussion. And it continues, ad nauseam. :facepalm:
And then others comment on forums. It continues indeed.

JSmith

Master Contributor
have a long-winded discussion
I'd like to have a discussion regarding this long-winded discussion... let me know when you're free to discuss setting up this discussion in reference to your discussion. Others are free to discuss the discussed discussion. ;)

Admission is free, you pay at the door. Bring your own seats and we'll sit on the floor.

JSmith

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I see Erin did a follow up video and mostly defended the criticism that this video was too simplistic. In that, he said he wanted to create something that is simpler enough for people to get into the hobby without 'scaring' them with REW measurements and more expensive microphones. Basically get them interested first with something that seems simple, then once they are interested, he hopes they would expand their knowledge.

Amazing that so many of us old-school audiophiles somehow managed to get hugely satisfying sound out of all sorts of speakers in our rooms, before all this "REW" etc became a necessity. :)

Matt34

I will always recommend a sub to someone new and on a budget. I'd rather someone have a compromised integration between sub/mains/room that can be worked on, than to just miss out on a 1/3rd of the sound.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I see Erin did a follow up video and mostly defended the criticism that this video was too simplistic.
I thought he proposed a system that was too complicated. It was so complicated that he couldn't even walk through an actual system like it. In his new video, he says REW is too complicated. Well, the whole pitch behind the video was to use Parametric EQ. As soon as you go there, you are in a different realm. It is no longer plug and play. Or trivial.

A simple pitch would have been to use the WiiM with some speaker and call it done. Next level would be measuring the room and using the PEQ in it to optimize room response. I would then throw in the concept of a target response.

coonmanx

I guess it all depends on your budget and what a person is going for. I have three systems and none of them came close to costing a grand. And they all sound very good. I don't use REW or anything like that for room correction. I simply use a regular old graphic EQ and my ears.

The living room system has Scott 166 speakers, which use the Philips tweeter. I have three different sets of speakers that use that same tweeter. Not a ton of bottom end on that system but that is OK. I still enjoy it all of the time. Otherwise the three other sets of speakers all have 8" woofers instead of the 6.5" woofers in the Scotts. Punch up the lowest two bands on the ten band EQ and they have plenty of bass for sure.

And I have to agree that back in the day we had no need for REW or anything like that. I do remember my very first system which consisted of a Technics SU-V2 at 40 WPC, a pair of Speakerlab 1's and a Dual 506 turntable. I thought I should get an Audio Control ten band EQ that came with a pink noise generator and a small microphone. Ran that and it turned out that the speakers were flat except for the very low end due to the 8" woofer. Sold the EQ, bumped the bass knob up a small amount and that was it. I still own those speakers and listen to them to this day.

Pretty sure I could set up a really good system for well under a grand. But then again, it depends on what the end user wants. My simplest system (the living room) is just a MCS 3872 integrated amplifier connected to those Scott 166 speakers and the source is a Panasonic portable CD player. Total cost was definitely under $400. Probably just over $300 in fact.

So what does one really need?

Last edited:

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Most discussion on audio forums is like this.
Bit of pot and kettle comment, seeing you are one of the biggest posters here......
:p

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The WiiM does not seem the best solution for what is proposed.
Why not a cheap avr - like a Yamaha with YPAO, all automated?

coonmanx

When they started connecting remote computers together to share all the information in the world I'm sure this is what they had in mind.

Mark the calendar for the day my spirit died. I'm going to go eat a Tide Pod and kick my neighbors door in the middle of the night...
Best comment ever.

Top Bottom