• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Environmental impact of our hobby

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
About 230 million years ago, during the Carnian age, it rained for two million years, without pause, all over the then single Earth continent (Pangea). This is known as the Carnian pluvial, which had great effects on the earth's climate.

Last edited:

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Correct focus on real problems rather than political crises.

Everything's political. *sigh*

For instance, as soon as one points out the fact that China/Asia is overwhelmingly responsible for plastic trash in the oceans, it gets political. Even though it's a fact, plain and simple.

In 2010, 8.8 million metric tons of mismanaged plastic waste came from China with an estimated 3.53 million metric tons of it ending up in the ocean. A total of 3.2 million metric tons of mismanaged plastic waste came from Indonesia and it is estimated that 1.29 million metric tons became plastic marine debris. The United States is also guilty of polluting oceans with plastic, but at a much lower level than China. Annually, 0.11 million metric tons of waterborne plastic garbage comes from the United States.

The Countries Polluting The Oceans The Most

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Excuse me the Data from thje Geologic record about CO2 levels and Temperature are facts. Love the use of the slur denier commonly applied to Holocaust denier. Personal attacks in lieu of rational arguments.
The AGW proponents relyu on computer models instead of empirical data.
If you're looking for a dispassionate, data driven response to facts (which you openly dispute) look to actuaries. They're unanimous in "opinion".

https://grist.org/climate/insurance...climate-change-by-shifting-risk-to-taxpayers/

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2212094715300347

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
kevie52, The temperature and CO2 levels from millions of years ago, or 100,000 years ago have what relevance, exactly???

Earth Climate record 65 M Yr.jpg

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These were the oil bath filters of long ago. The air flow made a 180 degree turn and passed over the oil which trapped the dirt particles. Filter media was usually a wire mesh. Washable and put it back together.

I have a K&N on my sports cr - only b/c there is no paper filter made to fit it. It is not a 1950s style oil bath filter, but has a spray coating of oil on the filter media. I know b/c I sprayed it myself. This is the one I mentioned re letting in more grit.

If you know of an improved oil coated filter. I'd like to know about it.

kevin52

kevie52, The temperature and CO2 levels from millions of years ago, or 100,000 years ago have what relevance, exactly???

View attachment 121092

So the thesis for AGW is that CO2 drives climate due toi a positive feedback with H2O which provides the primary greenhouse effect (90-95%). Hopefully we can agree that the Laws of Physics haven't changed over time. That being the case if >400ppm of CO2 will cause a runaway greenhouse effect on out climate why didn't that happen over the past 500 million yers when CO2 levels were levels of magnitude greater?

Were thew laws of Physics different 165 Million years ago that they are now?

Tee temperatures are now are among the coldest for the past 65 million years.

Greenland ice cores indicate temperatures 2C warmer that present temps.

Attachments

• Lappi_Greenland_ice_core_10000yrs[1].jpg
    Lappi_Greenland_ice_core_10000yrs[1].jpg
    182 KB · Views: 62

kevin52

If you're looking for a dispassionate, data driven response to facts (which you openly dispute) look to actuaries. They're unanimous in "opinion".

https://grist.org/climate/insurance...climate-change-by-shifting-risk-to-taxpayers/

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2212094715300347

Contemporaneous sources say that we have equal or more extreme climate previously.

'
It is certainly true that climate events can have more financial impact because things are more expensive and they is more construction, infrastructure, and people people than in the past. This says nothing about the climate. Sorry.

Destination: Moon

So the thesis for AGW is that CO2 drives climate due toi a positive feedback with H2O which provides the primary greenhouse effect (90-95%). Hopefully we can agree that the Laws of Physics haven't changed over time. That being the case if >400ppm of CO2 will cause a runaway greenhouse effect on out climate why didn't that happen over the past 500 million yers when CO2 levels were levels of magnitude greater?

Yes the laws of physics are the same. No, your understanding of the feedback isn't due to the physics you postulate. It's hard discussing this with people who try so hard, not to understand.

The self perpetuating forces now relate to the thawing of huge reservoirs of methane and CO2 producing organic matter that is locked below ice or permafrost. I could go on but that is sufficient to put you on the path to understanding of you so choose

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

All irrelevant. What matters is a comparison of the last 5,000 years and the next few hundred. About 5,000 years ago we became a sedentary population operating a fixed-location agricultural system with legislated water rights. Our entire civilization depends on that. Will the coming climate permit a continuation, or not? That's the only relevant question.

As to the topic: surely it depends on what else we would be doing every evening. I suspect the audio hobby is relatively benign.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
As to the topic: surely it depends on what else we would be doing every evening. I suspect the audio hobby is relatively benign.

Driving a Tesla 50 miles;

345wH/mile (somebody's measured average) = 17.5kwH

Listening to my non-green big-rig stereo and/or watching a movie:

Assume 500W consumption - 35 hours = 17.5kwH. (very high head-banging level)

So, staying home instead of driving around is 35 times more efficient even with my decidedly non-efficient gear.

I can cut that about 80% by listening to the little JBLs instead, which I mostly do these days.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Does that include running the A/C to keep the house temperature down during the Floridian summer?

I considered adding Solar Panels to the house, but at the time, it was quite expensive, non-liquid, and with a long economic break-even, so I bought shares in the local electric Utility instead. The dividends from Utility shares offsets most of the total electric bill, and now they are building Solar Farms for me so I don't have to.

PS: A capital gain on the same shares when TECO sold out to Emera a few years ago more covered the cost of all the gear I've ever bought.

Go figure.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Does that include running the A/C to keep the house temperature down during the Floridian summer?
Exercising at home on a treadmill generates heat, from you and the treadmill, necessitating the same A/C. So I propose we all sit quietly in the corner with the lights out, not consuming food, and attempting to not fart (methane). Can't read a book either, because trees......

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Exercising at home on a treadmill generates heat, from you and the treadmill, necessitating the same A/C. So I propose we all sit quietly in the corner with the lights out, not consuming food, and attempting to not fart (methane). Can't read a book either, because trees......
It is so funny that it started from @RayDunzl espousing the environmental virtue of listening to non-green big-rig stereo or watching movies over cruising in a Tesla, and then devolved into environmentalism being evil. LOL.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
It is so funny that it started from @RayDunzl espousing the environmental virtue of listening to non-green big-rig stereo or watching movies over cruising in a Tesla, and then devolved into environmentalism being evil. LOL.
Its not evil and I certainly did not imply that. I simply ask that a sense of proportion be kept in mind. There are things we do every day which are extremely bad for the environment, even if we don't directly intend to do so. My drive to work is far more harmful (even with my electric vehicle) than listening to music when I get home at night. 1 microsecond of operation of a coal fired power plant is far more harmful than anything I could do in a day. The solution to that is more green energy, not less music listening.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Electric Usage (kwH / days), HVAC portion (estimated) stacked on Base usage (estimated) for the last five years.

You can note three July 4 vacations, the rest of the time we were here.

When the 17 year old AC dies, we'll get to see if there's an improvement in that area.

1617129890795.png

The best thing I can think of to reduce the environmental impact of humans would be to reduce the number of humans.

When I heard of the "One Child" policy for China long ago, I calculated that it would still take about 60 years from that point for their population to peak and begin declining.

A tough problem.

Everything seems to be predicated on "growth".

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
As for "work", I used to travel a lot and install/test/turnover Telecom/Datacom gear.

Now, I sit at home a relieve others of their cash when they guessed wrong and I guessed right. Of course, the opposite condition applies at times.

Price at the red "S" = $500. It might just make it there in a few minutes.

Orange line was yesterday's "closing" price.

Red solid lines, my "analysis" of the situation. Red dotted lines $100 increments (20 points on the chart, roughly $20 on the Dow Average).

Green dotted line was Buy price, at about 11:45.

It continued going south for a while after an immediate bump that I should have taken (not the best entry), but turned up as hoped.

1617130986185.png

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Boom... Done... Naptime...

1617131183374.png

1617131722535.png

Last edited:

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Its not evil and I certainly did not imply that. I simply ask that a sense of proportion be kept in mind. There are things we do every day which are extremely bad for the environment, even if we don't directly intend to do so. My drive to work is far more harmful (even with my electric vehicle) than listening to music when I get home at night. 1 microsecond of operation of a coal fired power plant is far more harmful than anything I could do in a day. The solution to that is more green energy, not less music listening.
I have no disagreement with you. I just hope your line of reasoning also extend to that we shouldn't stop going out and have some fun rides in our favorite vehicles.

All I was questioning is that is the energy consumption comparison between driving a Tesla and listening to a spacing heating stereo rig fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom