• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

End Game DIY Loudspeakers

dwkdnvr

I guess it was inevitable that this would devolve into a debate around the merits of DIY in general, even though that wasn't the context of the OP. The OP was specifically interested strictly in saving money, and was explicitly NOT interested in the actual DIY process/skillset. I'll still contend that this is an outright bad idea, and that the used market is a far more realistic and appropriate path for this type of person.

As for the merits of DIY in general, to be honest it strikes me as a bit of a pointless discussion. DIYers are highly motivated by the D component, and the doing is as important if not more important than the actual outcome/results. They'll continue to pursue this route even if the results are no better than commercial offerings because the motivation and payback are more complex than that. And, conversely, the non-DIYers really want/need a system that they can just turn on and reliably work and that they can connect to anything/everything (and, frequently, that the spouse can use reliably and will accept in the house). Different psychology, different worlds.

IMHO the DIY approach typically has a few advantages over commercial mostly due to having to only satisfy 1 single person rather than a large enough market to make it profitable. Some considerations
- Can ignore patents
- Can usually ignore aesthetics - great big MDF boxes are ok in the man cave, as are monstrous horns/waveguides.
- Can usually ignore broader ergonomic considerations (single source is OK, lots of boxes is OK, complex wiring/cable clutter OK, complex startup/shutdown routine OK etc)
- Can frequently be what is effectively a 'custom installation' - designed/built for a specific room environment.
- Massive overkill is fine
- almost always a one-shot effort, so longer term availability of parts is not a concern. can take advantage of salvage, closeout pricing etc
- usually doesn't have to undergo a final audit as to whether the design goals were actually met. "It was worth it" is a perfectly acceptable outcome

Fit/finish, aesthetics and ergonomics are the obvious categories where DIY efforts typically fall short of commercial offerings. Not that it's impossible for a DIYer to do this, but it is just usually not an aspect that they care about significantly enough to invest the time and labor into it - the DIY payback is far higher in continuing to experiment/prototype/explore than it is in achieving consumer-style levels of finish and usability.

If we're talking about 'drivers in a box' type of speakers, I would tend to agree that the last few years really has seen the DIY landscape mature significantly. Kimmo's VituixCAD is a remarkable package that makes world-class design tools available to the DIYer for free. Couple that with REW that has improved by leaps and bounds from it's origins, along with cheap DSP capability and things like Augerpro's waveguides (or ATH4) and there really is no reason a motivated DIYer with an understanding of Toole's work can't create a "drivers in a box" speaker design that competes with commercial offerings. I mean, there just isn't that much uncertainty in that realm anymore. Now, whether the same cost advantage is still there is a bit of a different question - COVID and the supply chain mess has seen a decrease in driver availability and an increase in material costs (although commercial vendors are also struggling with this). Certainly the profusion of cheap studio monitors has killed the cost advantage of DIY in the basic entry level 2-way category to a large extent. Even going higher-end in the 2-way category something like the very good Directiva design is a bit of a tough sell given that it's almost as expensive as say the KH120/8030C or the LS50Meta - not that there aren't arguments in favor of the Directiva, but you really aren't saving any money. I think the 'dual woofer 3-way' is probably the sweet spot for DIY designs at the moment, where a DIY riff on say the Revel F206/F208 can probably be done for $1500 or so.

Of course, it also needs to be pointed out that there is a LOT of 'survivor bias' in the DIY world - everyone can very conveniently ignore the multitudes of abandoned projects that never came close to being finished, or the outright failures that consumed potentially valuable time but were just scrapped. And it also has to be emphasized just how much DIY relies on 'free labor' - most of the impressive 'higher end' projects are literally year or years long undertakings. For DIYers that are engaged in the process this isn't a problem as so much of the payback/satisfaction is tied up in exactly this type of engagement, but it does pretty clearly limit the audience.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
As for the merits of DIY in general, to be honest it strikes me as a bit of a pointless discussion.
Continues writing a complete dissertation on the subject… :)

Enjoyed it though. Some good points!

Clavius

Forum Donor
There’s some pretty savvy people out there in the DIY world that have built MEH:s that IMO outperform pretty much everything in the commercial realm as well as some systems that impressed me more than anything store bought by a multinational market driven company.

Attachments

• 1BB0C43B-BD26-49AA-8977-69EE23F23DA9.jpeg
    1BB0C43B-BD26-49AA-8977-69EE23F23DA9.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 292
  • D31B9798-CFB7-4FE8-B09A-F09C360877D3.jpeg
    D31B9798-CFB7-4FE8-B09A-F09C360877D3.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 295

kimmosto

This is absolutely incredible, why don't you share more of your designs on this forum?
I stopped DIY for several reasons. No proper workshop, not enough space for measurements. It's just waste of time, money and materials after realizing that almost everything is possible and doable, but I don't need the result. Many of the designs were too experimental prototypes, and process and data was not controlled enough to keep in public.

kimmosto

on this forum?
ASR does not look very DIY compatible/friendly forum in my opinion. Too much cheap science - looking spinorama of traditional small speakers, calculating preference rating and judging products with it, quoting Drs and white papers with significant amount of limits and assumptions drawn from a hat, barking of audiophiles and basically everything subjective. Narrow view could be okay for small standard boxed speakers, but not really open and productive for anything else. Innovations and special concepts for example in DIY scene require theories, building, listening, measurements, different environments, conclusions, accepting failures and returning to square one, N times. That work does not fit into forum where elementary level quasi-scientists require objective evidence for simple and logical observations and comments. That effectively kills motivation to say anything some scanned white paper from the 80s' does not already include. Discussion forum without actual freedom to exchange opinions and subjective impressions without attack by an objectivist at some point.

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don’t hate DIY but the liberty not to have to back up claims is definitely a pitfall.
I don't disagree, but for end game DIY speakers I would assume the designer would design them for their specific room and don't intend the design to be replicated on the whole. At least that was my point and where I was going

:)

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Going DIY (or DI by Others) or commercial products when aiming for end-game performance is purely a pragmatic concern, in my opinion.
If we're trying to solve specific problems we need specific solutions, and those might or might not be solved effectively by commercial solutions within the budget we have.

Reading this thread I can see that I have a different view on what constitutes an end-game system than most, which is fine. For me I want even bass response across the room (+- 3 dB before EQ) and very fast decay time in the whole bass range, high capacity across the whole spectrum, speakers with rather wide constant dispersion and good sound in all seats. No resonances in the speakers and pistonic non-resonant drivers playing well within their optimal range with distortion well below audible levels.

All that stuff necessitates specific solutions to deal with the specific issues - and those may differ from room to room.

I struggle to see how I can check this list on a realistic budget with commercial designs.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
ASR does not look very DIY compatible/friendly forum in my opinion. Too much cheap science - looking spinorama of traditional small speakers, calculating preference rating and judging products with it, quoting Drs and white papers with significant amount of limits and assumptions drawn from a hat, barking of audiophiles and basically everything subjective. Narrow view could be okay for small standard boxed speakers, but not really open and productive for anything else. Innovations and special concepts for example in DIY scene require theories, building, listening, measurements, different environments, conclusions, accepting failures and returning to square one, N times. That work does not fit into forum where elementary level quasi-scientists require objective evidence for simple and logical observations and comments. That effectively kills motivation to say anything some scanned white paper from the 80s' does not already include. Discussion forum without actual freedom to exchange opinions and subjective impressions without attack by an objectivist at some point.

While this might appear so at surface level, this sort of response only occurs when people start ''playing scientist'' and share inaccurate (surface level) statements as absolute truths.

It's also about how you present the topic. If the title is like '' I HAVE MADE THE BEST SPEAKER IN THE WORLD '' and instead of presenting the Monalisa of speakers in the thread we get high school arts and crafts project at best then yeah you might have some push back.

Otherwise here people are very welcoming to personal projects, it only gets inflammatory around here when it's a product made by a company and that company is promising out of this world performance and not coming close to delivering said performance. Attitudes in the DIY section are completely care free and friendly to be honest.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Ouch Kimmo! Tell us how you really feel. :)

Not sure how you avoid many of the problems you state on open contemporary forum tbh. As for the small speaker inclination that is mainly due to what is easy and inexpensive to obtain for review.

Yes, ASR has flaws, but it has seen growth beyond its resources. The DIY part is still early in its development and I suggest that technical objectivism has helped keep a check on some of the excesses of other sites.

So, lacking another better alternative, seems to me to be the opportunity is to make ASR better. Some have tried to characterize the members as strict objectivists. I do not find this to be accurate but this type of polarization is an unfortunate part of contemporary culture.

Last edited:

kimmosto

Sssh... you're not supposed to question the validity of designs that need 5-6 meters to sum acoustically but somehow worked perfectly in a 16m2 room.

They're obviously vastly superior to the 8361, maybe, if you're listening in a warehouse.
This is very good example about unpolite ASR grade answer with assumption that speaker would require long listening distance. Prototype of that speaker was tested for example in our bathroom of 6 m2. Mostly for fun, but it really works okay also there - at least as long as shower is not open. So please do not start playing funny and lecture about surface science if your own understanding and trust that people can't handle basic phase matching to listening area is so weak.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is very good example about unpolite ASR grade answer with assumption that speaker would require long listening distance. Prototype of that speaker was tested for example in our bathroom of 6 m2. Mostly for fun, but it really works okay also there - at least as long as shower is not open. So please do not start playing funny and lecture about surface science if your own understanding and trust that people can't handle basic phase matching to listening area is so weak.

my comment was not surface science though, that speaker is at least 1.5 meters high with a relatively complex layout. The far field is at at least 4.5 meter away. At distances closer than that the tunning and summation will be vastly different.

But you don't need me to tell you that do you? That's why I didn't.

Tangband

Major Contributor
I don't disagree, but for end game DIY speakers I would assume the designer would design them for their specific room and don't intend the design to be replicated on the whole. At least that was my point and where I was going

:)
You got a point.
Another thing is that an ”endgame” loudspeaker very much depends on what you like. Do you prefere dipol loudspeakers, or speakers constructed to be near a wall ? Or do you like horn speakers ?
Do you want a sharp stereoimage on one listeningposition or do you want a big sweetspot ?

Those are the questions that must be answered before building or buying the ” perfect” loudspeaker.

And, you cant put a big 4 -way speaker in a very small listeningroom and expect a good sound.

The stereo system is just an illusion of the recorded event at best , so there are many different ways to construct a good speaker.

37D19AE1-2D7F-4369-99E0-9FA64E26D266.jpeg
201DB29E-42DB-4050-984C-3793ED7BE73A.jpeg

Last edited:

Plcamp

I make this assertion, which feels true to me at least.

DIY and Philosophy share the common attribute that the only real reason to do either one is to become better at it the next time.

dtaylo1066

Many designs posted here and many have been made by DIYers, with results posted on YouTube.

As indicated, DIY takes a lot of time and you need to tools. The cabinets are the real hard part. If you do not have woodcutting tools then you would need to have them made for you which is expensive.

Some very good DIY speakers here, especially by the late Jeff Bagby. http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Diy_Loudspeaker_Projects.htm

The SB Acoustics Satori kits at Solen can be purchased with cabinets: https://solen.ca/en/categories/sb-acoustics-kits/products

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As indicated, DIY takes a lot of time and you need to tools. The cabinets are the real hard part. If you do not have woodcutting tools then you would need to have them made for you which is expensive.
You start out with one idea and it changes into another... then you prototype it only to discover a resonance in the walls due to the construction technique. You keep the design but change the construction technique and if you are lucky that fixes the issue. Since you spent so much time... building test boxes, taking measurements, listening, more measurements, building prototypes, finding and fixing the problems, taking more measurements followed by more listening, you hopefully arrive at a destination that deserves to be finished... which then requires even more time and effort to finish them.

If you are lucky, you like them enough to put in the extra time and expense to finish the prototypes too.

Here are a few pictures that tell part of the story of this DIY project.

Test Boxes Under Test.jpg
Ribs Side.jpg
JBL-TAD2.jpg
Project Widget Section.jpg
Widget 2 Front.jpg
Bug's View.jpg
Horn.jpg
Project Widget Claro Left smm.jpg

Last edited:

thunderchicken

My Troels-designed speakers cost about $650 to build including wood and I just don't think you could get something comparable retail for less than $5k. If you're looking for something truly endgame and have $5k or more to spend on a DIY project, check out some of his Ellipticor or Illuminator 3, 4, or even 5 way designs. I don't think anyone would be disappointed with the results.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My Troels-designed speakers cost about $650 to build including wood and I just don't think you could get something comparable retail for less than $5k. If you're looking for something truly endgame and have $5k or more to spend on a DIY project, check out some of his Ellipticor or Illuminator 3, 4, or even 5 way designs. I don't think anyone would be disappointed with the results.
I agree. Following a proven design like this is a great way to go, especially at the more affordable end of the market. I am not sure I would consider it an "End Game" speaker, but for many it may be all that you would ever want or need.

dtaylo1066

Regarding two the two posts above:

1) I would never suggest building DIY speakers other than off of a proven design plan, unless you have exceptional acoustic and building skills and all the requisite equipment. Few do.

2) Thankfully, there are many fine plans out there, including Troel's. His higher end projects would match or exceed many top-flight speakers. And if you had to you could get someone to build the cabinets at furniture grade level for several thousand dollars.

Top Bottom