• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva removing negative reviews? Anyone experienced that?

GabrielPhoto

Has anyone left a negative review at Emotiva recently?
I recall leaving a negative review for the C2+ a while back after I returned it and out of curiosity while reading info on the C3+ I checked for it and my review as NOT there.
I found that very odd so decided to do an experiment. I did a review of the c3+ using a VPN with negative feedback. Then about 30 mins later changed the VPN and left a 5 star review that was basically a useless title "Awesome" and body just says Great.
1664726227324.png

Interestingly enough...the 5 start review got posted fast but the negative one never did.
I didnt even think that was legal but at the very least, to me does not leave a good impression about the company.
Just curious is anyone has noticed this with Emotiva or other brands.

beren777

A couple of thoughts:
  1. Were both reviews left via VPN, or only the negative review? I can see moderating or directing VPN-source reviews to a pending or trash folder as a legitimate practice.
  2. Try leaving a 5 star review where the text is entirely negative. It'll be interesting to see if the moderation is automated and keyed purely off the star rating, or if a human is reading, or if they might be using sentiment analysis.

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

A couple of thoughts:
  1. Were both reviews left via VPN, or only the negative review? I can see moderating or directing VPN-source reviews to a pending or trash folder as a legitimate practice.
  2. Try leaving a 5 star review where the text is entirely negative. It'll be interesting to see if the moderation is automated and keyed purely off the star rating, or if a human is reading, or if they might be using sentiment analysis.
1. Both via VPN but the very first one (that I did a couple months ago for the c2+) which triggered my curiosity was not done via VPN since I was not expecting that behavior.
2. Very good idea!

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

Standard practice across most of the internet. Why would Emotiva be different?
Standard? I see lots of companies leaving negative reviews even when they are clearly just trolling or not really related at all. Heck I have seen "reviews" left at Sony before cameras wre available just talking trash about mirrorless.
So yeah hardly a standard practice and I don't see how that is supposed to be acceptable

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think removing negative reviews is considered illegal in the US - but it's definitely misleading if they do it too much, so if you bought something based on the inflated reviews and it failed to perform, you might have a case against them.

I would agree that review moderation is very common, usually just in the form of removing useless or off-topic reviews, e.g. if someone leaves a review for the wrong product by mistake, or if the review is just "BAD - DID NOT LIKE" or something.

However, some companies go too far and remove their credibility along with the unwanted reviews... seems like Emotiva might be in that boat.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I already don't trust Emo. I don't really need another reason. Thanks.
:p

For me, their tech crew could not (or would not) answer questions about performance expectations of their stereo amp modules. This is back in mid-late 2018 when I was shopping and considering their XPA amps. They had all kinds of info about what to expect with their Mono "blades" and NONE of it for the Stereo Modules.
That was the beginning of the experience.
*shrugs

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

I don't think removing negative reviews is considered illegal in the US - but it's definitely misleading if they do it too much, so if you bought something based on the inflated reviews and it failed to perform, you might have a case against them.

I would agree that review moderation is very common, usually just in the form of removing useless or off-topic reviews, e.g. if someone leaves a review for the wrong product by mistake, or if the review is just "BAD - DID NOT LIKE" or something.

However, some companies go too far and remove their credibility along with the unwanted reviews... seems like Emotiva might be in that boat.
Yeah like my favorite dumb reviews on Amazon..for example one complaining that his camera tripod that is 35" did not fit in a bag he purchased from Amazon, that was listed as 31" long...so he gave the bag 1 star....SERIOUSLY?! :D

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've heard of that over the years....

garbulky

Major Contributor
I’m confuse why would the company’s website show negative user reviews? Sounds like bad business.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m confuse why would the company’s website show negative user reviews? Sounds like bad business.
Then again dealing with Emotiva on a variety of subjects sounds like bad business to me, I certainly won't buy from them.

dorakeg

Then again dealing with Emotiva on a variety of subjects sounds like bad business to me, I certainly won't buy from them.

Their products are pretty good value for money thought. The flaws are relatively minior too.

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

Because showing only positive reviews is not only dishonest but unrealistic and a clear sign of a shady company in my book.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Their products are pretty good value for money thought. The flaws are relatively minior too.
I might consider an amp, but not the pre-pros and the issues aren't always minor. Nor can they even repair some of their flagship amps....too many things get "outdated"....

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Reviews on company sites should be viewed with healthy suspicions. A conflict of interest exists (whether or not any manipulation takes place). This is one of the things that makes this forum great. The debate here uncovers nonsense pretty quickly……

sam_adams

Major Contributor
You should familiarize yourself with their TOS. As a moderated discussion board, they reserve the right to post your reviews and comments as they deem fit. That is the way things are on the Internet today. Expectations should be adjusted accordingly.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
I think there's a bit of everything here... sometimes companies dont GAF about reviews because why bother responding to chaff that doesnt impact sales.

eg. Sony's XM3/4/5 line has issues but the dont care because that stuff sells... see how Sony responds to PS5 stuff. They're #1. Apple is the same. By responding you sometimes further court controversy.

With Emotiva... well they sold themselves as the American company selling rebadged China stuff for reasonable prices. Some things are good, sometimes get the hanging pink panther... I suspect like a few Americans companies they have an active PR dept. Caveat emptor on each product.

Last edited:
OP
G

GabrielPhoto

The flaws of the c2+ are not minor in my book
You should familiarize yourself with their TOS. As a moderated discussion board, they reserve the right to post your reviews and comments as they deem fit. That is the way things are on the Internet today. Expectations should be adjusted accordingly.
I'm not referring to their forum but their sales pages but if you call moderating simply removing any review that is not 5 stars in order to "impress" less savvy buyers by the perfect reviews, then we have different concepts of moderating.
To me what they do is sleazy sales tactic. Moderation would be if I post some random nonsense but I bought the c2+ directly from them so they know I was a real customer not a fake review and it was a detailed review not some vague troll comment like "is sucks" stc

Top Bottom