• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Electric toothbrushes

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What really annoys me, is that electric toothbrushes have batteries that last 3-4 years and then you’ll have to replace the whole thing.

I would pay extra for a model with easy replaceable battery.

vert

Forum Donor
Indeed, it is immediately apparent how much better an electric brush than a manual one. There is no going back. I was an instant convert after being very reluctant. I started and continued with a basic model ($40-60) as apparently most functions in the advanced once aren't especially useful.

delta76

Major Contributor
I used to have an Oral B electric toothbrush and I was pretty satisfied with it until I realized that I was putting too much pressure on my teeth, which caused enamel damage. After hearing about this issue from someone else on this forum, I decided to switch to the Sonic Glow toothbrush, and so far it's been great! As a self-proclaimed lazy person, I find that the Sonic Glow is perfect for me as it helps me avoid putting too much pressure on my teeth while also providing a thorough clean. I've only been using it for three weeks, so I can't speak to its long-term effectiveness just yet, but I'll definitely update you all in a few months to let you know how it's holding up.
first post on an audio forum is about a toothbrush no body heard about. interesting

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I love my Oral B iO 7G. I don't use all its functionality daily, but in the evenings it is clear that it's much, much better than a manual toothbrush. My teetch have that clean feel. Also, it warns me when I apply too much pressure etc. With a manual toothbrush, I used to apply waaaay too much pressure - so the Oral B is much better in that respect, too. But I only use it in the evening for the truly thorough cleaning of the day, during the day I use a regular brush.

My previous Oral B lasted over 10 years, so they are a quality product. I recommend it.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Obvious spam is obvious.
Don’t see any links and otherwise looks harmless. You guys will let us know if he reposts or replies to himself with edited inserted hyperlinks. You are probably right but no actionable information yet. The game is afoot :rolleyes:

delta76

Major Contributor
Don’t see any links and otherwise looks harmless. You guys will let us know if he reposts or replies to himself with edited inserted hyperlinks. You are probably right but no actionable information yet. The game is afoot :rolleyes:
exactly - that post raised my eyebrow but did not feel I should report it - we will be watching ;)

To the topic, has been using Philips Sonicare since I started with electric brush and will likely stay with them. Happy with ExpertClean but would be buying DiamondClean next if there is a good deal.

And I would disagree that water flossing is less effective than normal flossing. Yes if you are highly effective at flossing, maybe. But I found my Waterpik is much easier and more effective at removing things in "difficult" corners.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It doesn't take a hyperlink or a repost to be an advertisement, and it doesn't take a hyperlink or a repost to affect search results.

AdamG

Forum Donor
It doesn't take a hyperlink or a repost to be an advertisement, and it doesn't take a hyperlink or a repost to affect search results.
Yeah we get that. But this is a thread about electric toothbrush’s and therefore the post is on topic. We can’t just boot someone because we are suspicious. Well we can, but we don’t ;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ad or not, five pages later and no one has described their listening impressions.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Ad or not, five pages later and no one has described their listening impressions.

I just bought my wife a Panasonic electric toothbrush to replace her "Supermarket" Oral-B toothbrush. The Panasonic has a high pitched whine which I estimate to be around 1000Hz, while the Oral-B has a lower pitched buzz which I think is around 200Hz or so. I could crack out my measurement setup if you really want. If this post reaches 1000 likes I might do it :D

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just bought my wife a Panasonic electric toothbrush to replace her "Supermarket" Oral-B toothbrush. The Panasonic has a high pitched whine which I estimate to be around 1000Hz, while the Oral-B has a lower pitched buzz which I think is around 200Hz or so. I could crack out my measurement setup if you really want. If this post reaches 1000 likes I might do it :D
Were any dental veils lifted?

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With the two of them, you can probably play some basic melodies. :-D

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What really annoys me, is that electric toothbrushes have batteries that last 3-4 years and then you’ll have to replace the whole thing.

I would pay extra for a model with easy replaceable battery.
My old Oral-B finally got to the point where the battery could no longer hold enough of a charge to be useful, so per the instructions for recycling, I inserted the designated part of handle into a matching opening in the charger unit, twisted, and ... turns out that the unit screws open without damage, and while soldering is required, the nicad cells are readily accessible - sweet! Current models look more or less the same.

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In Germany, we thankfully have a state owned testing agency for consumer goods, insurances, finance etc. You have to pay a small sub fee to get access though or buy their magazine.

Recently, a few weeks ago, there was also a review of electric tooth brushes.

The top of the leaderboard in terms of cleaning performance which is also pretty much the best value leader. The handling isn't really good supposedly.
1677512363866.png

I own this one and it's like a small prophylaxis. I love this thing. No tooth brush should cost over 100 bucks.
1677512448905.png

Never thought I'd post about tooth brushes at ASR tho.

AdamG

Forum Donor
In Germany, we thankfully have a state owned testing agency for consumer goods, insurances, finance etc. You have to pay a small sub fee to get access though or buy their magazine.

Recently, a few weeks ago, there was also a review of electric tooth brushes.

The top of the leaderboard in terms of cleaning performance which is also pretty much the best value leader. The handling isn't really good supposedly.
View attachment 267911

I own this one and it's like a small prophylaxis. I love this thing. No tooth brush should cost over 100 bucks.
View attachment 267912

Never thought I'd post about tooth brushes at ASR tho.
Now that is Suspect Activity. You are on the Watch list now! ASR No-Fly! :p

Byrdsmaniac

I've used a Phillips Sonicare for about a dozen years. I did not go to the dentist for three and a half years because of the pandemic. When I did, it took the hygienist about half an hour of very minimal work to clean my teeth and I had no cavities. I'll stick with what I've been doing.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've used a Phillips Sonicare for about a dozen years. I did not go to the dentist for three and a half years because of the pandemic. When I did, it took the hygienist about half an hour of very minimal work to clean my teeth and I had no cavities. I'll stick with what I've been doing.
I was happy with my Sonicare until the drive tang fell out. That soured the romance a bit.

Triliza

Forum Donor
Who'd expected the toothbrushes thread to be suspected of acts of pure villainy, I'd better be careful where I put all those likes :p

I'm using an Oral-b for a while now, quite pleased with it, but I have become curious about the Sonicare and may give it a go when it's time for a change.

Top Bottom