• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Electric toothbrushes

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I started with Oral B some 20+ years ago. It was immediately far better than manual brushing which I am terrible at. The first time you use them, you are shocked how much cleaner your teeth feel. I graduated from Oral B to Sonicare since the former brush heads didn't last hardly at all.

I manually floss with Reach Access:

71kd+1IyvIL._SL1500_.jpg

It is a pleasure to use and far, far better than regular flossing. You can reach every gap between your teeth with ease no matter how far back they are. You can get different floss heads, some with nice minty flavor. I had terrible problem with my teeth staining even with frequent dentist cleaning and above brushes. Started to use these flossers and instantly that problem went away!

You can re-use the heads many days before replacing them so cost is next to nothing. I can almost live with free samples I get from my dentist every time I go for a check up. :) I floss first and then brush at night.

Glen20

What to buy??

Oral-B Pro 2 2500
Has timer and pressure sensor and 3d clean

More expensive models dont have features that will actually improve your technique or health. The smart and ai features just are not smart enough yet. ( technology is available and used in dentistry but not at a price that is viable). Guessing $25k or more toothbrush. When it is it will be game changing.

Here is alot of good info , which saves me a lot of of typing and bad spelling.

Last edited:

Tom C

Major Contributor
Although dentist offices are often stocked with Oral B products, I think I've asked at least three dentists about their views on electric toothbrushes versus manual, and have never gotten more than noncommittal responses, and none have ever suggested that I buy a Waterpic system.

One little trick that I've picked up is to floss using toothpaste, which is not so dissimilar to what the hygienist does as part of a general clean and polish operation.

One dentist did provide me with Paro "Classic" toothbrushes - they look totally ordinary, no ergo rubberized handles, no gum-massaging nubs or wear-indicating bristles. Love the things! Bought a bunch, along with extra periodontal tips. Got medium-stiffness last time, but will probably go with soft next time.
I’ve been looking for something like this for years. Thank you.

Keened

Forum Donor
There are a bunch of internet direct electric toothbrushes that are decent these days. The issue is that most electric toothbrushes offer more features than benefits and charge crazy money for the the replacement heads. It only really needs to do 3 or 4 things: quadrant timer, strength selection, battery life, and maybe a pressure gauge. You also don't need special heads so long as it's a rotational action.

As for the waterpik, it's a flawed implementation. They leak, need to be charged, have a tendency to get water everywhere and have to include a small pump and small pumps suck. The better option is a water pressure powered one. Tooth Shower has been the best thought out one I've seen so far. Not super thrilled about the overall aesthetic (but it's not awful by any means) but it works and isn't too expensive.

In an ideal world we'd have a metal hose coming out from the wall with quick attach/release heads so you could have a flosser attachment, hand shower attachment, cleaning attachment, etc. But unless you're already redoing your bathroom aftermarket additions are what you're stuck with.

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
Ok, got one. It interrupts every 30 seconds to tell you to change quadrant. A bit annoying tbh. Do people really only brush their teeth for 2 minutes?

I went past the 2 minutes to 4, seemed like I had covered all the surfaces then. I think with the manual brush I was getting distracted and sometimes had it in my mouth for 10 minutes (walking around/doing other things), certainly takes a lot longer to feel as if every surface has been properly cleaned.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Mine stops 2, sometimes 3 times during use. So I bursh longer than 2 minutes. Don't understand the rush. I could maybe do it in 2 minutes, but why risk doing a subpar job.

Reactions: EJ3

Rip City Dave

I am a dentist.

Ultrasonic toothbrushes have convincing evidence in the scientific literature of greater efficacy at removing plaque.

Avoid electric toothbrushes that use rotary motion. This motion can be less effective in reaching the important spaces between teeth.

Flossing is king. Waterpik has not proven to be as effective. Do you wash your car by just spraying it?

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
Ultrasonic toothbrushes have convincing evidence in the scientific literature of greater efficacy at removing plaque.

Avoid electric toothbrushes that use rotary motion. This motion can be less effective in reaching the important spaces between teeth.
Is there a particular model you recommend? The one I have rotates, oscillates and pulsates, apparently. I don't know if pulsates means ultrasonic.

It is a minefield to pick a model, especially when the more expensive models can seem like more unnecessary crap tacked on (bluetooth connection, apps, yada yada).

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
So they go to the cleaning bin. Great for curcuit boards and cleaning engine parts and bolts threads.

I put the old ones in the dishwasher, dry them and store in an old dishwasher cutlery basket under the kitchen sink. They get used for whatever is needed and thrown out afterwards.

Rip City Dave

Is there a particular model you recommend? The one I have rotates, oscillates and pulsates, apparently. I don't know if pulsates means ultrasonic.

It is a minefield to pick a model, especially when the more expensive models can seem like more unnecessary crap tacked on (bluetooth connection, apps, yada yada).
Most of the research is based on the original Sonicare. Get it at Costco.

Not sure about the pulsation of your brush. The bristles can be most important. Softer is most always better.

Dental marketing, like most marketing, is full of half-truths and tenuous links to valid scientific evidence. Does this sound familiar?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
An electrical toothbrush is way better than manual according to my own experience and my dentist. I use a Braun Oral-B costing 35 euros with toothbrushes that came out best of the test: oral-b crossaction. Buy them per 10 pieces from online retailers and the cost is considerably lower than in retail shops.

Btw I tried Braun oral b and Phillips SonicCare. Didn't like the latter because of the intense vibrations and the former always comes out best of test. The only difference between all the braun toothbrushes is the battery where lithium-ion is thinner and more costly. And features where the only one I care about is the 2 minute timer.

Btw2: I tried multiple replacement brushes on the Braun and came to the conclusion that their quality is way lower than the original oral-b's.

Btw3: tooth paste from Sensodyne and especially the Repair version is a lot better than other brands ime.

Are you me? I went through exactly the same journey and came to identical conclusions :)

My wife still uses a Sonicare, but she'll be getting a Braun when it eventually dies.

BigFKahuna

I am a dentist.
Sonicare and Oral-B are both good (rather like rotary and non-rotary electric shavers) and each have their following. The one you use daily is the one that works. Don't apply too much pressure and make sure to touch every surface of your teeth, including where your gums meet your teeth. Change the head regularly, if the bristles have changed shape or direction you have waited too long.
Toothpaste helps, but is not a panacea. Neither is fluoride...lots of controversy on that. There might be compounds that are more effective and safe, such as Xylitol for caries prevention. But use what you want.
Flossing done properly is best. Most people don't know how to floss properly, in those cases a water flosser might help.
Mouth washes are usually OK if you like to use them. Perhaps one with baking soda and Xylitol would be effective. Or rum or whiskey.
In many jurisdictions disclosing tablets are hard to get, or no longer available. Most people could not see to the back teeth even when these things were used. Best to ask your hygienist what spots you are missing.
And when done properly, you can get away with one (or two) brushings a day, and one flossing.

Best done when listening to good music.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I will accept nothing short of double-blind, controlled evidence here, folks.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am a dentist.
Sonicare and Oral-B are both good (rather like rotary and non-rotary electric shavers) and each have their following. The one you use daily is the one that works. Don't apply too much pressure and make sure to touch every surface of your teeth, including where your gums meet your teeth. Change the head regularly, if the bristles have changed shape or direction you have waited too long.
Toothpaste helps, but is not a panacea. Neither is fluoride...lots of controversy on that. There might be compounds that are more effective and safe, such as Xylitol for caries prevention. But use what you want.
Flossing done properly is best. Most people don't know how to floss properly, in those cases a water flosser might help.
Mouth washes are usually OK if you like to use them. Perhaps one with baking soda and Xylitol would be effective. Or rum or whiskey.
In many jurisdictions disclosing tablets are hard to get, or no longer available. Most people could not see to the back teeth even when these things were used. Best to ask your hygienist what spots you are missing.
And when done properly, you can get away with one (or two) brushings a day, and one flossing.

Best done when listening to good music.
Curious what your take is on the evidence for cleaning frequency.

Top Bottom