• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Electric toothbrushes

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After brushing electric, no matter the brush, use an end-tuft toothbrush (tiny head) along the gumline.
My last cleaning was the easiest I ever had.

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

sejarzo

Forum Donor
I have used a Sonicare for the past 24 years. I don't even use toothpaste on a daily basis but rather a 50/50 mixture of mint mouthwash/3% hydrogen peroxide.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I get the impression that this was the first commercial ET ever made by the looks of it haha.
Well, once my Sonicare self-destructed I determined to get something economical, on the premise they self-destruct. Of course this one then lasted for years.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So are we going to ban this guy yet? A bunch of nonsense posts and then advertising a brush. Gimme a break.

ton312

Have no problems with Oral-B electric brush, it's good for my teeth

dougi

Neddy

@fpitas
I just got one of the 'Jim Ellis' toothbrushes - $36 incl taxes and shipping!
I got really tired of paying the other's 'premium taxes' for replacement brushes - this thing came with three of them, and are relatively low cost in comparison to purchase ($7 vs. $12 ea).
My old Philips Sonicare battery died after a few years, and is NOT the removable/replaceable battery type (which pissed me off, too - I even have a 'spare' 18650 I could have used on it.!)
(The instructions say the JE battery can be desoldered and removed, when it dies.)

Anyway, for the money it sure seems competent - two different vibration modes (and a 3rd that switches between the two).
Certainly more effective than the old Philips, but that could be the weak battery.
I see the JE one kind of 'recommends' leaving off the charging stand until it needs recharging. I never considered that, and probably contributted to the 'early' death of the Philips? (or 'vintage' 18650 batteries?).
Anyway, nice to see a "NOT $200" alternative for a danged Toothbrush, and for me it works really well.
Thanks for that comment!

Subway2400

Hi,

I bought an Oral-B iO4 two months ago. While the cleaning quality is good, I find it to nearly be a scam.

The 740 mAh battery seems to have a short lifespan. At the beggining a full charge lasted for 8-10 days (brushing twice a day for 2 minutes each time, in standard mode). Two months later, it doesn't exceed 4-5 days. I noticed I'm not the only one being surprised, to say the least, about this.

Moreover, the head is hollow, so when brushing your teeth with your hand lower than the brush head itself, the toothpaste, etc. is going to drip through the head on the handle, on your hand, on your arm ... which is a very stupid design. The heads themselves are expensive, while offering nothing new or better than older heads.

I trusted the brand because of its reputation, but I discover that, like the audio market, a reputable brand do not always produce good products :rolleyes: I do not really see the point of the iO series, it's expensive and it does nothing better than older brushes. Maybe it's more quiet, but that's all. I do not reccomend buying those.

Andysu

Major Contributor
51f13691-89a1-40e9-af7d-ad8334546e1c_text.gif

LeShog

Electric toothbrush saved my teeth. I may lack the discipline for it, but with a normal toothbrush I couldn’t keep my teeth very clean, my hygienist always found dental plaque. Now that I’m gone electric not only my hygienist is happy, but it’s also way easier to brush my teeth, it’s ideal when you get home after a hard day of work :) that said it’s also probably due to your personal mouth conditions (your saliva, your teeth, etc). Mine was problematic, but going electric solved everything. If you already don’t have cleaning problems, than electric toothbrush is probably useless to you. Anyway a useful tool in this direction gives you info about the right pressure to put and the timer of brushing. Tools with these functions come at 35-75 EUR max. Everything beyond isn’t needed, it’s just screens with faces that wink and silly things or useless apps that you’re going to eventually uninstall.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My big leap in dental hygiene was floss handles.

JohnnyAudio

I have a subwoofer toothbrush.

DMill

Forum Donor
Take care of your teeth. I just spent $6k on replacing one tooth with an implant. Coulda bought a pretty nice pair of speakers for that.

AudioNonymous

review.png

Don't worry guys - here comes the science.

Here are the RTA measurements for the four different modes that my toothbrush offers:

toothbrush_mode1.png

toothbrush_mode2.png

toothbrush_mode3.png

toothbrush_mode4.png

Now for the subjective review...
MODE 1 is my favourite, I really love the sharp 80Hz feel.
Sometimes when I need something a bit smoother I'll switch over to mode 4 for a while.

Overall I recommend this product.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 359738

Here are the RTA measurements for the four different modes that my toothbrush offers:

View attachment 359721

View attachment 359722

View attachment 359723

View attachment 359724

Sometimes when I need something a bit smoother I'll switch over to mode 4 for a while.

I bought my Oral-B Pro 2 2500 in 2019, it's a black one and it's still working fine. I prefer it to the much more expensive Sonicare I have before.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 359738

View attachment 359721

View attachment 359722

View attachment 359723

View attachment 359724

The term Spin-o-rama gets a completely new meaning with them.

Top Bottom