• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Electric toothbrushes

BigFKahuna

MAJOR CAVEAT: Most people use their electric toothbrushes like manual ones, and ∴ apply too much pressure. Don't do that, unless you hate having enamel covering your teeth.
Oral B comes with a nifty pressure sensor, a red light comes on, or the vibrations change, when you apply too much pressure. And one should never use a brush with medium or hard bristles.
Excess pressure is more likely to wear away at the root area of the tooth. Rather difficult to fix compared to repair of enamel.

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
OK, last question from me - is there any use for Corsodyl mouthwash in a normal cleaning regime. Ingredients below:

(Chlorhexidine Digluconate 0.2% w/v

(equivalent to Chlorhexidine Digluconate Solution Ph. Eur. 1.0% v/v)

Excipients: Contains Macrogolglycerol hydroxystearate 0.8% w/v)

Thanks again for your input.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use special $100/foot floss, made from a space age polymer. It reduces early oscillation signals in the floss that can reduce flossing effectiveness. Reviewers say when they floss with it, it has a previously unexperienced level of "flow" over the teeth, like a veil being lifted across the flossing experience. I'm running a special right now and will sell you 4 yards for only $1000. You can only know what you are missing if you try it.

I'll gladly refund you for any unused floss, but remember the well-known fact that the flossing process has to "slide in" for at least a month before the process opens up and you can really feel the difference.

You will also need to buy our special bolt-cutter to sever lengths of floss, but this is only a one-time $500 purchase.

Glen20

OK, last question from me - is there any use for Corsodyl mouthwash in a normal cleaning regime. Ingredients below:

Depends…
Depends on what risk factors a specific patient has for a specific disease. And if has a disease that would benefit from chlorhexidine.
Also risk Involved in using medication ( chlorhexidine) for that patient at a specific dose and frequency
Most chlorhexidine causes staining and taste perception changes
Most importantly it is acidic and can cause severe erosion in some (but rare) cases.
But is very effective in preventing further root caries if present.
So it depends.

BigFKahuna

There have been studies that have shown that the use of CHx alone was in some cases better than brushing or flossing. The problem with CHx is for some people the profound staining of teeth that occurs with use over any length of time. Relatively easy to remove by a dental hygienist, but that does add to the overall cost and inconvenience to the patient. Post surgically or in certain cases of periodontitis this stuff is great.

BigFKahuna

I use special $100/foot floss, made from a space age polymer. It reduces early oscillation signals in the floss that can reduce flossing effectiveness. Reviewers say when they floss with it, it has a previously unexperienced level of "flow" over the teeth, like a veil being lifted across the flossing experience. I'm running a special right now and will sell you 4 yards for only $1000. You can only know what you are missing if you try it.

I'll gladly refund you for any unused floss, but remember the well-known fact that the flossing process has to "slide in" for at least a month before the process opens up and you can really feel the difference.

You will also need to buy our special bolt-cutter to sever lengths of floss, but this is only a one-time $500 purchase.
Hilarious! You would do well in the dental industry.

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
two more questions, if i may:

does swilling your mouth with water after staining drinks (tea/coffee) prevent staining?
is it fine to leave the toothbrush on the charger all the time (li-ion battery)?

Last edited:

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an Oral B. Works perfect for me because I suffer for periodontitis (gum disease?) and I need some rock and roll on those gums.

The fun part is that I obtained it in exchange for a snake oil, garden hose like, speaker cable I had for sell. The final conversation, when the deal was done, was more or less like that:

- (new cable owner). Will I notice any difference with this cable?
- (Me): No.
awkward pause...
- (Me): I do will notice a difference with this, right? ;);)
- (new cable owner): Yes, absolutely!

Reactions: MCH

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't have the greatest childhood, and my parents really never spent the time teaching me good oral hygiene habits. I never really brushed my teeth as a kid, and even as an adult, I struggled to get in the habit of brushing long enough and often enough.
This led to cavities, bad breath, and staining, which in turn led to a fear of dentists, which eventually led to a rotten tooth extraction at only 28. I knew I had to do something. Y'all can judge me for that if you want, but at least I recognized I had a problem! I scoffed at the price of this Oral-B 7500 Electric Toothbrush toothbrush, but I finally pulled the plug with a coupon and figured, if nothing else, it would be more efficient than my old-school brush. There were lots of solutions available for my problem. I'm not embarrassed to say that this little piece of technology has helped me create lasting healthy habits. Did my grandmother need to plug in her toothbrush? No. But that doesn't mean I can't.
Your grandma probably didn't fly much or own an electric car or flat screen TV either. My grandma grew up with an outhouse on a farm.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Bought an Oral-B electric toothbrush in an Amazon Black Friday sale, 70% off. Many reviews averaging 3 * the main complaint about it was poor Bluetooth connectivity.

Last edited:

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Needless tautology, as far as the British are concerned.
We put them in a cup with steradent overnight, job done. At least we don’t have kids walking around with a mouth full of scaffolding.

Andrew74124

I used to have an Oral B electric toothbrush and I was pretty satisfied with it until I realized that I was putting too much pressure on my teeth, which caused enamel damage. After hearing about this issue from someone else on this forum, I decided to switch to the Sonic Glow toothbrush, and so far it's been great! As a self-proclaimed lazy person, I find that the Sonic Glow is perfect for me as it helps me avoid putting too much pressure on my teeth while also providing a thorough clean. I've only been using it for three weeks, so I can't speak to its long-term effectiveness just yet, but I'll definitely update you all in a few months to let you know how it's holding up.

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
I used to have an Oral B electric toothbrush and I was pretty satisfied with it until I realized that I was putting too much pressure on my teeth, which caused enamel damage. After hearing about this issue from someone else on this forum, I decided to switch to the Sonic Glow toothbrush, and so far it's been great! As a self-proclaimed lazy person, I find that the Sonic Glow is perfect for me as it helps me avoid putting too much pressure on my teeth while also providing a thorough clean. I've only been using it for three weeks, so I can't speak to its long-term effectiveness just yet, but I'll definitely update you all in a few months to let you know how it's holding up.
Please do update us, Mr AndrewGPT, as to your progress in the coming months.

Top Bottom