• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ELAC EA-101 Measurements from stereo.de

kflw935641

Hey,

I was wondering if the ELAC EA-101 is any good. I couldn't find measurements except for this: https://www.stereo.de/hifi-test/produkt/elac-ea-101-eq-g-706, but there doesn't seem to be a frequency response measured without room correction. In the article behind the paywall there is a jitter graph, but nothing about the frequency response.

If you want me to translate anything, please let me know. Their conclusion says that for an amp of this price class the measurements are good. The D/A converter has an SNR over 100 dB

Any idea if this amp can be recommended as an alternative to the discontinued yamaha wxa-50? Are the values they measured actually good?

Last edited:
OP
kflw935641

kflw935641

in reviews people say that the bluetooth connectivity is bad, and the screen burns in over time

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was wondering if the ELAC EA-101 is any good.
Very hard to tell without trusted measurements. You could order, deliver it to our host, let him measure it, and then he sends it to you, if you are in the US. We have nobody willing to do that with the needed gear in Europe i'm afraid.

It is not too pricey i think, and the design looks really nifty. I doubt it's total trash and i suspect your music will be fun, listened over it.
Sometimes, that is enough :cool:

Any idea if this amp can be recommended as an alternative to the discontinued yamaha wxa-50? Are the values they measured actually good?
The measurements don't have much context, i'm not even sure why they measure frequency response of an amp after DSPing for room errors. The manufacturers specs don't tell much either, just that it's probably not utter trash.

If you ask me, hunt for a used WXA-50 instead, no surprise there and you may have saved a pretty penny in the end.

OP
kflw935641

kflw935641

I'll keep my eye open. I have already ordered a really good deal on some used dbr 62 and now I need an amp.

Do you have any idea why so many class D amps are not available right now? Chip shortage or something?

I'd like to have an amp with a bit more power because we are throwing house parties every now and then, but it has to fit on my desk, so class D is the only option. The dbr 62 are a bit hard to drive apparently. I also want bluetooth and a volume wheel.

- Nuberts ampx would work, but it doesn't measure well, which is really a shame https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...rt-nuconnect-ampx-streaming-amp-review.10470/
- I won't get the elac amp since bluetooth connectivity is bad and the screen burns in
- Can't find measurements on NAD AMP1, a power of 40W per channel might just be enough though if the spec is honest. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/amp-measurements-of-d3020-v2-at-home.24083/ is rated at 10 watts less.
- Klipsch PowerGate is not available anymore and runs hot
- Yamaha wxa-50 is hard to get
- loxjie a30 is most likely too weak (max 18W according to the review at 8 ohms)
- topping pa5 doesn't have bluetooth

Last edited:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll keep my eye open. I have already ordered a really good deal on some used dbr 62 and now I need an amp.

Do you have any idea why so many class D amps are not available right now? Chip shortage or something?
If you are talking about combi devices, yes, it's the shortage. The more functions a device integrates, the more likely it is impacted.

I'd like to have an amp with a bit more power because we are throwing house parties every now and then, but it has to fit on my desk, so class D is the only option. The dbr 62 are a bit hard to drive apparently. I also want bluetooth and a volume wheel.
Split it up into several devices. Here is a market overview for class D amps, i would think a NC252MP module is perfect for the DBR 62s:

Maybe the next smaller module will do too.

Then buy a MiniDSP Flex to get all the functionality you look for in a preamp.

Or, if you want to save even more money, split that up again, a RPi as streamer, a USB connected DAC that can be a preamp (Topping E30?) and a bluetooth module with digital out (Fiio somethingsomething).

OP
kflw935641

kflw935641

Thanks. I wonder why there is absolutely no problem getting all sorts of digital effect pedals and active speakers with bluetooth despite the shortage.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. I wonder why there is absolutely no problem getting all sorts of digital effect pedals and active speakers with bluetooth despite the shortage.
6265ef680a650fb6306457d3bdec02e7ea6de0b4ef8e59b3968d31744f632469.jpeg

We probably will never know.

Top Bottom