• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nubert nuConnect ampX Streaming Amp Review

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Nubert nuConnect ampX digital integrated amplifier and wireless connector. It was purchased by a member from the company in Germany and drop shipped to me. The ampX costs €689 (US $766).

The outside imparts confidence as far as weight and industrial design:

Nubert nuConnect ampX Bluetooth Wifi Streaming Amplifier Digital Review.jpg

Beauty is skin deep though. The menu structure is very strange. For example you hit the "return" button to get into options and then rotate the number to select. Hitting return gets you back one step but never back to home menu above. You have to select "Volume" and click on that to get back home. I had the volume too high once as soon as I changed inputs and could not turn it down immediately.

When you turn the unit off with the standby button on the left, a dim display remains saying ampX. I hope that is not an OLED display or that would be burnt in after a short while. Why do I need to see that text on the display? The standby button already turns orange.

The rear panel shows the plethora of option to feed the ampX:
Nubert nuConnect ampX Bluetooth Wifi Streaming Amplifier Digital back panel connectors Review.jpg

You have phono state, Bluetooth, and Wifi besides allt he other inputs. What's more using their app and the microphone in the phone you are supposed to be able to correct for room modes under 160 Hz (I did not test this).

Audio Measurements
I started with our usual dashboard with USB input to ampX and speaker out at 5 watts:
Nubert nuConnect ampX Bluetooth Wifi Streaming Amplifier Digital USB In Audio Measurements copy.png

Boy, this is not good. We have high noise floor plus ton sand tons of harmonics and we are at just 5 watts. I thought may be analog input would be different so tested that:

Nubert nuConnect ampX Bluetooth Wifi Streaming Amplifier Analog In Audio Measurements copy.png

It is a different sort of bad but overall in the same bucket of "well below average:"
best wireless amplifier review.png

Signal to noise ratio is verypoor:
Nubert nuConnect ampX Bluetooth Wifi Streaming Amplifier Analog In SNR Audio Measurements.png

Never seen an amplifier that doesn't improve its signal to noise ratio when you turn it up. The noise must be getting amplified proportionally with volume.

32-tone test signal resembling "music" shows the same problems:
Nubert nuConnect ampX Bluetooth Wifi Streaming Amplifier Analog In Multitone Audio Measurements.png

Look at those spikes in mid frequencies rising to almost -50 dB. This is where our hearing is starting to get most sensitive.

Frequency response was terrible with digital or analog inputs:
Nubert nuConnect ampX Bluetooth Wifi Streaming Amplifier Frequency Response Audio Measurements...png

There is a high pass filter which I could not figure how to defeat so let it be at 10 Hz. It must cause that terrible peaking at low frequencies. Conversely, there is a sharp filter at 20 kHz which roll off starting even earlier. We are down 3 dB by the time we get to 20 kHz. And this is with digital input and sample rate of 96 kHz!

Let's test the power amp to full power starting at 4 ohm:
Nubert nuConnect ampX Bluetooth Wifi Streaming Amplifier Analog In Power into 4 ohm Audio Meas...png

That is a lot worse than a typical AVR. Same is true with 8 ohm load:
Nubert nuConnect ampX Bluetooth Wifi Streaming Amplifier Analog In Power into 8 ohm Audio Meas...png

Thermal Analysis
Performance improved a bit over half of running at 5 watts:
Nubert nuConnect ampX Bluetooth Wifi Streaming Amplifier Warm up Audio Measurements copy.png

Conclusions
I tell you: if manufacturers post measurements, I am sure they would have caught these issues themselves. Even a marketing person would know the above frequency response would not sell a single unit. But no. Customers don't ask for it so manufactures just throw a few numbers over the fence. Those numbers did point to problems:

1576813421675.png

We actually did better at 0.05%! How they got this SNR, I don't know :

1576813983479.png

Conclusions
I get the appeal of "do it all" amplifier with modern streaming features. But come on. Let's get the basics right. The amp needs to be low noise and distortion and have flat response. And spend some time make the unit easier to navigate.

Needless to say, I cannot recommend the Nubert nuConnect ampX. It had high promise but did not remotely get there.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Christmas season is here and I want to give myself a big present. Problem is, I am too cheap to do that out of my own funds so I appreciate your donation for this very well deserved cause using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
if manufacturers post measurements, I am sure they would have caught these issues themselves. Even a marketing person would know the above frequency response would not sell a single unit. But no. Customers don't ask for it so manufactures just throw a few numbers over the fence.
Bottom line: People don't care... or are uninformed: "But, how does it sound?!"

I hope they take the design of their speakers more seriously... :facepalm:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now I don't read German, but the reviewer appears to have given a 4.5/5 for sound. Goes to show how worthless subjective reviews are.
Definetly. The guy will give 4.5 stars for literally anything, anyway... Not to mention: "I thought the unit costs at least twice the price...it performs way above its price and weight!!...blablabla"

Last edited:

Andreas007

This is just shocking. :eek: Kudos to the guy who sent the unit to Amir.
In Germany Nubert is very well known for their good price/performance ratio and their passive speakers. They also advertise as a company manufacturing "honest" speakers.

I once tried their (first and inexpensive) active speaker. The small NuPro A20. But it had noisy electronics and dull, unexciting sound (frequency response was very good though). I thought ok, maybe you get what you pay for and went for Neumann KH120A - different league.

But selling a unit for about 700 € which performs abysmal - there is just no excuse.
Maybe they should have stayed with passive speakers...

Last edited:

cjfrbw

It's somehow reassuring to hear that the Germans can actually manufacture a real klunker.

Reactions: 617

Fafnar

That frequency response below 200Hz... was it in some weird room correction mode by default?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That frequency response below 200Hz... was it in some weird room correction mode by default?
I don't think so. It is just off 0.5 dB at 30 Hz.

bidn

What a revelation and what a gigantic fail!
Thank you so much, Amir and the owner.
Amir, since you measured the SINAD with the USB input, maybe you could include it in your DAC chart, as people might look up this device only among DACs and not among amps?

Reactions: Tks

bidn

An internal pic of this device from here:

Now I don't read German, but the reviewer appears to have given a 4.5/5 for sound. Goes to show how worthless subjective reviews are.

Thank you very much for the link.
I use to sometimes visit this site and read the headphone and amp reviews by this reviewer, but I had a feeling that he was too subjective, not reliable, esp. systematically overrating German ( e.g. Sennheiser's) products and downrating those from other countries.
Now I have a proof that my impressions were more than right, I will not bother visiting that site again ...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir, since you measured the SINAD with the USB input, maybe you could include it in your DAC chart, as people might look up this device only among DACs and not among amps?
I measured it at speaker terminals so doesn't make sense to compare it to DACs.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
In some way funny. In the 80's i stoped looking at frequence responses from amp's couse they were boring. But now near 2020 they are much more curvy! :D:facepalm:

Zoomer

I've been eying their Nufunk wireless offer (1) (2) for a while. Also a product of their in-house engineering...
No meaningful reviews to be found unfortunately.

JRG

Do these guys have no access to measuring equipment?
Either they have not tested their design before putting it on sale, or they have considered that "it is good enough".
I do not understand how they can do this kind of bungling in the XXI century.
Not few amplifiers in the mid-70s have better values than that.... not to mention properly designed current equipment of similar characteristics, such as the Yamaha WXA-50, for example.

BaaM

It is indeed the first FDA amplifier that has been tested?
Could this technology be correlated with bad measurements?

Top Bottom