• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
@VintageFlanker and @daftcombo where at home yesterday and it was a real pleasure! My wife and I we have spend a really good time.

ASR forum is wonderful, but in IRL the experience is different (and I like it).

What a good time spend talking about audio, listening to music and trying few things. We have a different experiences each one and it was very interesting and inspiring time.

Thanks to you guys, a real pleasure for me!

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, yesterday, we started listening to the ELAC on-axis, as @renaudrenaud had set them, and with EQ to fight the room modes (Renaud will explain better). That was before lunch.
My impression was: very clean bass, impressive dynamic range and undistorted sound up to high volume levels that I would never reach at my place. But on the negative side, I noticed something like a bit of "grain", or better said an emphasis in the treble. Not the extreme treble, which was a bit lacking, but around the 7 kHz - 12 kHz range if I had to guess.

In the afternoon, I insisted that Renaurd removed his EQ correction, which had almost -8dB between 100 Hz and 130 Hz if I remember correctly. @VintageFlanker wanted to hear the ELAC off-axis. Now, the slight uneasiness I was hearing in the treble in the morning disappeared and extreme treble was there to make the cymbals alive. There was A LOT of bass in the kitchen now, the plates very vibrating, but it was warmer in the couch. In that configuration, I really enjoyed the music a lot and could have stayed for hours! :)

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Thanks again both of you for being there! I know I know I know, I have to progress in EQ science. So, door is open and if you want to come and help me to exploit the full potential of these speakers, you're welcome!

Darvis

I'd say "wonderfully welcomed" is not enough.;)I would be hard pressed to thank enough @renaudrenaud and his wife for yesterday. Very (very) friendly people who are both truly passionate about audio, tech, and many things. It was such a great meeting!:) Also, nice to meet @daftcombo IRL after many months discussing here!

Yep. Unfortunately, my 906s are actually unplugged since I'm more focused on my new Evoke 20s. Will have to say a bit more later, like @daftcombo. But I can already tell the DBR-62 are really good speakers, fairly balanced, with no obvious flaw whatsoever.:cool:
Happy with the Dynaudio?

typericey

Well, I am in a critical listening session of my Aria 906 this morning, while the sound of the ELAC is still fresh in my ears.

Will report later. But it is very difficult to compare speakers in two different rooms actually. You really don't know what you compare, especially in bass.

I didn't know you own the 906 as well. Thanks for your audition updates on the Elac.

I let go of my 906 in 2017, and the electronics I used with them are very different from what is running with my Elac now. So I really can't do a comparison anymore.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, what about the DBR62?:cool:

First, let's talk a bit about industrial design. Fit and finish are top notch for this price range. No fancy materials here, but the overall look and build is more than decent. The pair was in White/Oak, with grey grilles: very modern, reminds me some kind of Scandinavian-style looking. Looks way more premium than the Debut 6.2.

Soundwise, I second @daftcombo on most things. Before lunch, Elac were playing in the background at moderate volume. Really, no issue with what I heard at this moment. Very cohesive and relaxing sound, but this wasn't short of any critical listening.

Starting from the afternoon, @daftcombo and I were sitting in the couch (he, being at the center of sweetspot, me standing on his right). I think we were both surprised about the dynamic abilities of the Elac. @renaudrenaud chose excellent recordings with very strong dynamic variations. At some point, I believed he was playing with volume control, hearing some unexpected SPL peaks. I'd say dynamics and power handling are very strong points for tte DBRs.

Overall signature was mostly balanced, but I've to admit some higher notes (on saxophone and vocals) sometimes bothered me. No "Distortion" or "harshness", but maybe a tad too much treble/high-mids with some part of tracks played. Another point I wasn't fan of, was the spacial reproduction at first. Even sitting at the center (later), I was able to hear precisely where both speakers were, and found both center image and soundstage width were somewhat lacking.

Later, @renaudrenaud and I adjusted the positioning. The Elac were placed now with literally no toe-in, about 2m apart and each 45cm from rear wall (I would say about 80cm from both side walls but I'm not sure). Then, I much prefered the results. Now, the Soundstage width appeared, as well as the phantom image. Plus, since the center position was slightly Off-axis (maybe -25°?), the treble was pleasantly lowered, but details remained. I could listen tracks after tracks with no complain. The only downside at this point was the bass output. The Elac really goes deep. In a very unusual way for speakers of this volume. I second what @daftcombo said, during my listening time, I managed to get the plate vibrating in the kitchen behind (no joke.:eek: Soundtrack was Massive Attack's Pray for Rain)... And @renaudrenaud's wife "hearing the same from the other room".;);) Joke aside, the bass abilities are a major strength with the DBR. But, objectively, there was "a touch" too much of it in this room. As I said to @renaudrenaud, "better too much than not enough", since he can apply some EQ to calm it down by few dB.

So overall, I really liked my listening with the DBR62, I would easily recommend it, and certainly not as "budget" speakers only. (Seems like it may be bought for something like 499€/pair in EU, sometimes cheaper said @renaudrenaud). I would not say it for anything, but yep, this is obviously a bargain at this price. For my personal tastes, I would hear them with no toe-in, slightly Off-axis, but It's still up to anyone's hearing.

Comparaison against 906s would be very tricky, since 1) The room is very different, 2) they're unplugged for ten days now. However, I would say the 906s are maybe not as balanced across all FR, but they could sound wider (I guess @daftcombo would agree), with a slightly more precise center image, and at last,
certainly smoother On-Axis. The Elac would go deeper in bass, without a doubt. I'd personally choose the 906s for smaller room and longer listening. I would recommend both, but maybe DBR62 is ultimately a more interesting "all-rounder" offering at the same price or cheaper. At the end, it comes to personal preferences.:)

Happy with the Dynaudio?

So far: Yes! Will talk about that later.:p

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the interesting impression, just a small request for a clarification as I am really interested for getting the 906 oder DBR-62 for a third audio system.
Could you specify this "contradiction" a bit more?
I would say the 906s are maybe not as balanced across all FR
vs.
and at last, certainly smoother On-Axis

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor

First, let's talk a bit about industrial design. Fit and finish are top notch for this price range. No fancy materials here, but the overall look and build is more than decent. The pair was in White/Oak, with grey grilles: very modern, reminds me some kind of Scandinavian-style looking. Looks way more premium than the Debut 6.2.

Soundwise, I second @daftcombo on most things. Before lunch, Elac were playing in the background at moderate volume. Really, no issue with what I heard at this moment. Very cohesive and relaxing sound, but this wasn't short of any critical listening.

Starting from the afternoon, @daftcombo and I were sitting in the couch (he, being at the center of sweetspot, me standing on his right). I think we were both surprised about the dynamic abilities of the Elac. @renaudrenaud chose excellent recordings with very strong dynamic variations. At some point, I believed he was playing with volume control, hearing some unexpected SPL peaks. I'd say dynamics and power handling are very strong points for tte DBRs.

Overall signature was mostly balanced, but I've to admit some higher notes (on saxophone and vocals) sometimes bothered me. No "Distortion" or "harshness", but maybe a tad too much treble/high-mids with some part of tracks played. Another point I wasn't fan of, was the spacial reproduction at first. Even sitting at the center (later), I was able to hear precisely where both speakers were, and found both center image and soundstage width were somewhat lacking.

Later, @renaudrenaud and I adjusted the positioning. The Elac were placed now with literally no toe-in, about 2m apart and each 45cm from rear wall (I would say about 80cm from both side walls but I'm not sure). Then, I much prefered the results. Now, the Soundstage width appeared, as well as the phantom image. Plus, since the center position was slightly Off-axis (maybe -25°?), the treble was pleasantly lowered, but details remained. I could listen tracks after tracks with no complain. The only downside at this point was the bass output. The Elac really goes deep. In a very unusual way for speakers of this volume. I second what @daftcombo said, during my listening time, I managed to get the plate vibrating in the kitchen behind :)eek: no joke. Soundtrack was Massive Attack's Pray for Rain)... And @renaudrenaud's wife "hearing the same from the other room".;);) Joke aside, the bass abilities are a major strength with the DBR. But, objectively there was "a touch" too much of it in this room. As I said to @renaudrenaud, "better too much than not enough", since he can apply some EQ to calm it down by few dB.

So overall, I really liked my listening with the DBR62, I would easily recommend it, and certainly not as "budget" speakers. (Seems like it may be bought for something like 499€/pair in EU, sometimes cheaper said @renaudrenaud). I would not say it for anything, but yep, this is obviously a bargain at this price. For my personal tastes, I would hear them with no toe-in, slightly Off-axis, but It's still up to anyone's hearing.

Comparaison against 906s would be very tricky, since 1) The room is very different, 2) they're unplugged for ten days bow. However, I would say the 906s are maybe not as balanced across all FR, but they could sound wider (I guess @daftcombo would agree), with a slightly more precise center image, and at last,
certainly smoother On-Axis. The Elac would go deeper in bass, without a doubt. I'd personally choose the 906s for smaller room and longer listening. I would recommend both, but maybe DBR62 is ultimately a more interesting "all-rounder" offering at the same price or cheaper. At the end, it comes to personal preferences.:)

Ok, ok, ok... But what about the Spirulas you've heard in our homelab? :)

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the interesting impression, just a small request for a clarification as I am really interested for getting the 906 oder DBR-62 for a third audio system.
Could you specify this "contradiction" a bit more?

vs.
Balanced and smooth is not the same thing in my book. Smoother meaning the Aria's treble/mids from 3Khz is rolled-off, on the other hand, balanced means the treble is straight and linear (with no emphasis nor roll-off).

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company

Later, @renaudrenaud and I adjusted the positioning. The Elac were placed now with literally no toe-in, about 2m apart and each 45cm from rear wall (I would say about 80cm from both side walls but I'm not sure). Then, I much prefered the results. Now, the Soundstage width appeared, as well as the phantom image. Plus, since the center position was slightly Off-axis (maybe -25°?), the treble was pleasantly lowered, but details remained. I could listen tracks after tracks with no complain. The only downside at this point was the bass output. The Elac really goes deep. In a very unusual way for speakers of this volume. I second what @daftcombo said, during my listening time, I managed to get the plate vibrating in the kitchen behind :)eek: no joke. Soundtrack was Massive Attack's Pray for Rain)... And @renaudrenaud's wife "hearing the same from the other room".;);) Joke aside, the bass abilities are a major strength with the DBR. But, objectively there was "a touch" too much of it in this room. As I said to @renaudrenaud, "better too much than not enough", since he can apply some EQ to calm it down by few dB.

So overall, I really liked my listening with the DBR62, I would easily recommend it, and certainly not as "budget" speakers. (Seems like it may be bought for something like 499€/pair in EU, sometimes cheaper said @renaudrenaud). I would not say it for anything, but yep, this is obviously a bargain at this price. For my personal tastes, I would hear them with no toe-in, slightly Off-axis, but It's still up to anyone's hearing.

Comparaison against 906s would be very tricky, since 1) The room is very different, 2) they're unplugged for ten days bow. However, I would say the 906s are maybe not as balanced across all FR, but they could sound wider (I guess @daftcombo would agree), with a slightly more precise center image, and at last,

Thanks for your impressions.

I also have the DBR62s at home right now. Bought them from Wifimedia after recommendation from @renaudrenaud who was not a reseller at the time.
My impressions are basically the same as yours. The way they handle power is quite impressive, although I caught them distorting once (Giorgio by Daft Punk). And the plates were not even shaking in the kitchen ;). I also needed to experiment a bit with placement to get a proper stereo image.

Looks like you guys have spent a lot of good time. Isn't it what music is done for?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
See the difference between

smooth:

1593508191488.png

and balanced:

1593508242884.png

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My impressions are basically the same as yours. The way they handle power is quite impressive, although I caught them distorting once (Giorgio by Daft Punk). And the plates were not even shaking in the kitchen ;).
It must have been quite loud, because we didn't detect any bass distortion as far as I remember. We didn't try hard-hitting electro though;

maty

Major Contributor
Both, ELAC Debut DBR2 and Focal Aria 906 have too much distortion to my taste. They miss an amplifier that does have low distortion. At medium / high volumes it will be difficult to differentiate MP3 320 kbps versus FLAC 16/44 from a good recording with a large dynamic range, I say.

I guess it is the norm in that price range.

Top Bottom