• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

bboris77

Despite the fact that they are rather large, is anyone using these in a nearfield/desktop configuration? I am just wondering how sensitive they are to being positioned close to wall, and how narrow the sweet spot would be from a 3 foot seating distance. I would not mind toeing them in if necessary.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Despite the fact that they are rather large, is anyone using these in a nearfield/desktop configuration? I am just wondering how sensitive they are to being positioned close to wall, and how narrow the sweet spot would be from a 3 foot seating distance. I would not mind toeing them in if necessary.

I think you could do that. I use my other pair of Aria 906, which are bigger, that way.

Darvis

Oh! I forgot to mention that!:oops: Even so, when you consider these ones surprised me more than the Elacs!
Yep, @renaudrenaud and his wife 3D-printed their own speakers. Very passionate people, I said!:cool:

https://sites.google.com/view/audiofolies/diy/impressions3d/spirula?authuser=0

Don't you think your work deserves its own thread?!;)
Holy cow, they're so cool. And they seem to work well too. I'm always jealous of people with gold in their hands (literal translation of a French proerb, Idk if it exists in English)

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Holy cow, they're so cool. And they seem to work well too. I'm always jealous of people with gold in their hands (literal translation of a French proerb, Idk if it exists in English)

They sounded very good for the driver size, with rather well controlled bass. But the plates didn't vibrate.

typericey

Both, ELAC Debut DBR2 and Focal Aria 906 have too much distortion to my taste.

Have you owned both or at least auditioned both extensively?

typericey

Thank you for the interesting impression, just a small request for a clarification as I am really interested for getting the 906 oder DBR-62 for a third audio system.
Could you specify this "contradiction" a bit more?

vs.

I believe the 906 is going for $1000 new. So if you're getting them new, I don't think they are worth the $400 premium over the DBR-62.

But assuming you are getting a used, mint condition 906 for the same price of the Elac, then it's a tougher decision, though you wont go wrong with any of them. 906 definitely wins with build quality plus the Made in France badge (if you're into that), and the availability of dedicated stands.

typericey

So, what about the DBR62?:cool:

Thanks for the comprehensive audition notes. Generally your impressions are similar to mine. If any differences, it's probably because @renaudrenaud's room is different from mine. You seemed to have better results with no toe in, but I prefer a slight toe in (between 5-10 degrees if I were to eyeball it). Maybe because this is how I've been setting up speakers in my entire life.

You mentioned relaxing sound and I can't agree more! If you're a casual listener you plays music in the background for an extensive period, then the DBR-62 is for you. I've said this before but worth mentioning again: absolutely zero listening fatigue.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You seemed to have better results with no toe in, but I prefer a slight toe in (between 5-10 degrees if I were to eyeball it). Maybe because this is how I've been setting up speakers in my entire life.
:) Imagine I always did the exact opposite my entire life (No toe-in). That could explain why I always prefer wide directiviy speakers. So are the Elac, the 906s and so on.
Despite the fact that they are rather large, is anyone using these in a nearfield/desktop configuration? I am just wondering how sensitive they are to being positioned close to wall, and how narrow the sweet spot would be from a 3 foot seating distance
Unfortunately, we didn't try them that way. Listening was about 3,5 (?) meters away from speakers (correct me if I'm wrong, guys) That's also a very important point to me. This is the "only" scenario where the R3s were doing great by the way.
Both, ELAC Debut DBR2 and Focal Aria 906 have too much distortion to my taste
I beg to differ quite a lot. I already put the 906 to "distort", but it was at very high listening levels, and only in the midrange, due to (I guess) the huge move of the woofer.

maty

Major Contributor
index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

Then many say they do not appreciate differences than others do. The general disregard for the importance of noise, interference and distortion is what he has. Only the frequency response on axis and a few other things has mattered for the vast majority.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Then many say they do not appreciate differences than others do. The general disregard for the importance of noise, interference and distortion is what he has. Only the frequency response on axis and a few other things has mattered for the vast majority.
...Or subjective in-room listening at the end...:rolleyes:

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Whether you can hear it or not, the kef R3 smacks them in distortion. CMIIW, I think the kef R3 is the last one that got measured at 105db compared to 96db on the others?

If your going for hifi HT, then you're a fool to take the others over the kef R3.

And I'm not derailing the thread, I own both the R3 and the DBR-62's

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
Depending on the type of recordings heard, the ELAC and Focal will be more than enough. The vast majority today listen to very poorly produced recordings and much worse in the final result offered to the public.

Many things can be tweaked later on a proper loudspeaker but never the distortion generated by the drivers (yes, the vibrations of the cabinet, a fact that many continue to despise, see the case of the DIY X-LS Encore that an ASR member is building to later be measured by Amirm).

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe the 906 is going for $1000 new. So if you're getting them new, I don't think they are worth the $400 premium over the DBR-62.

But assuming you are getting a used, mint condition 906 for the same price of the Elac, then it's a tougher decision, though you wont go wrong with any of them. 906 definitely wins with build quality plus the Made in France badge (if you're into that), and the availability of dedicated stands.
Yes, here in Europe you can get them for a much more similar price so the decision is tough.

tecnogadget

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Whether you can hear it or not, the kef R3 smacks them in distortion. CMIIR, I think the kef R3 is the last one that got measured at 105db compared to 96db on the others?

If your going for hifi HT, then you're a fool to take the others over the kef R3.

And I'm not derailing the thread, I own both the R3 and the DBR-62's

That deserves a further follow up impressions of R3 vs DBR-62 ;).
This Elac’s looks to be a good bargain and I could use them as surrounds in the future.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

I know you love KEF and love your q100's , however the Q350 has more distortion at 96db than either the Focal or the ELAC.
No spl level is listed for the q100 test, however my guess is that it is not at 96. I seriously doubt the q100 has less distortion at the same spl as the q350 or the LS50.
Id wager the q100 has much more distortion at 96db than the Focal aria 906 and the ELAC dbr62.
In any case...

Top Bottom