• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is the difference between EQ and PEQ?
With PEQ you can tell how wide your EQ is having an effect. EQ knows frequency (say 2kHz) and gain (say -2dB). With PEQ you also get Q, the bandwidth, if you will.

This compares three PEQs, all at 500Hz and with the same gain, but different Q.
1702727277658.png

Meaning this is a match that can profit from EQ?
I have yet to find a setup that can't profit from EQ. :)

Leo_Torres

Forum Donor
With PEQ you can tell how wide your EQ is having an effect. EQ knows frequency (say 2kHz) and gain (say -2dB). With PEQ you also get Q, the bandwidth, if you will.

This compares three PEQs, all at 500Hz and with the same gain, but different Q.
View attachment 334696

I have yet to find a setup that can't profit from EQ. :)
Cheers :)

Leo_Torres

Forum Donor
The critical thing is knowing / measuring your room response. If you've got an apple device then it's worth investing in the housecurve app. If android then try something else, but you should be able to see and hear the worst nodes, which usually occur <150Hz
Thank you for your response :)

Leo_Torres

Forum Donor
Since the ELAC Reference DBR... have 6 Ohms, should I keep my Topping pa5 ii at 8 Ohms or go to 4 Ohms?
Is it possible that any of this two options might damage the speakers?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Since the ELAC Reference DBR... have 6 Ohms, should I keep my Topping pa5 ii at 8 Ohms or go to 4 Ohms?
What do you mean by that? The PA5 II does not have a load impedance switch. You can't set it to 4 Ohms or 8 Ohms.

Leo_Torres

Forum Donor
My bad, sorry, I got confused comparing the specs of the speakers and the PA5 and somehow I found on amazon "4 and 8 ohms" regarding the latter.

CauliflowerEars

Ah, thank you! I have already been enjoying the DBR62 in black/dark wood for almost a year.
Just equipped them with the Fosi V3 (48v). Curious, if I should get a better amp for them.

But, I am considering a new set of speakers for the bedroom (although, I've seen the DBR62 in white and the veneer isn't as nice as the dark ones).
Curious, if it might be better to go for some speakers, which are easier to drive. I kind of have a feeling DBR62 are a bit 'heavy', not as quick.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Ah, thank you! I have already been enjoying the DBR62 in black/dark wood for almost a year.
Just equipped them with the Fosi V3 (48v). Curious, if I should get a better amp for them.

But, I am considering a new set of speakers for the bedroom (although, I've seen the DBR62 in white and the veneer isn't as nice as the dark ones).
Curious, if it might be better to go for some speakers, which are easier to drive. I kind of have a feeling DBR62 are a bit 'heavy', not as quick.
Considered pair of sub's and cutting them relatively high (120~130 Hz) instead.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Oh, so the subs will take the bass and let Elacs focus on the higher frequencies, making them ‘faster’ sounding?
They are pretty fast as it is, guess I would go with closed enclosure sub's. Point is to get rid of the resonance and let them play easier. And you get very good decay time (waterfall plots) rest is between you and the room.

Leo_Torres

Forum Donor
I'm using the ELAC BRD62 with a Topping PA5 II plus and as a preamp I have connected a Magni-Heresy von Schiit. Now: the preamp has a gain option, which I have turned on and it certainly helps. But could this extra be too much for the speakers? Somehow they seem to lack volume if I connect them only to the Topping (both are new and so far the don't look like faulty units, think i am doing sth wrong...)

Also: I am planning on leaving the preamp and the amp at 3 o'clock (so 75% of max. volume) and use the I-Phone as a remote control through the Wiim App, is this ok or might it damage somehow the devices?

Thanks a lot in advance and apologies if the questions come across as not particularly sharp.

gelv

What would happen If you would place these on the floor pointing at listening position around 3 to 4 meters ay with the listeners ears around 80 to 90 cm above ground
Would that make the highs muffled

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
What would happen If you would place these on the floor pointing at listening position around 3 to 4 meters ay with the listeners ears around 80 to 90 cm above ground
Would that make the highs muffled
Yes if you don't tilt them up + floor baunce from uper mids to lower high frequencies.
You want to avoid both so normal hight from floor and to the ear to tweater is more then desirable.

Top Bottom