• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I think the jbl studio 530 and buchardt s400 are waiting to be reviewed.
next

I looked up the specs on the Buchardt s400. Looks appealing, certainly, at first glance.

I caught this bit (in this link):
Through our Constant Directivity Control waveguide! Ok, so maybe the solution isn't that simple. The design itself is the result of a couple very smart people, a number of prototypes, and a super expensive holographic nearfield scanner that we were lucky enough to have access to. This scanner measures 5,402 points around the speaker, this allows us to know exactly how the speaker behave from all possible angles.

Sound familiar? You have to wonder if that's the Klippel NFS they're talking about.

At any rate, I'd personally like to dig in to this design myself. Looks like they're using the SB acoustics driver (same for some of the Revel models) for the woofer.

Reactions: wje

Iluzun

I’ve both the bookshelf and slim floorstanders, n white. No subs. Daedalus DA-1, Castle Conway III, ADS-880, Kef LS50, ProAC-1SC r also n house. The Elacs r mature products that will reward a well sorted source/power supplies. They scale, yet won’t dazzle the inexperienced listener, or crappy set up, they r too well balanced, even handed, non showy to draw attention to themselves. They look great and respond to cables, tube changes ect... they r not bloated nor analytical, sound great off axis, and r easy to move around. A VPI Traveler, Dynavector 20X-L, EAT Petite, Benchmark Dac3, Yamaha A-S2000/Mystere A-11, power conditioning, ect, ect... look forward to a couple RELs or such, probably the 10s. Musical beast, these...

laudio

Am going to pick up a set of these based on this review and measurements. Out of stock at Crutchfield at the moment - where i have some bonus points at work to spend.

I am starting to like the preference rating system here. However - the cost of these Elacs is shown at $300 - should be corrected, along with some others (KEF R3's say $1000). Having accurate prices will make the reviews on this site from a price/performance standpoint a good resource.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Am going to pick up a set of these based on this review and measurements. Out of stock at Crutchfield at the moment - where i have some bonus points at work to spend.

I am starting to like the preference rating system here. However - the cost of these Elacs is shown at $300 - should be corrected, along with some others (KEF R3's say $1000). Having accurate prices will make the reviews on this site from a price/performance standpoint a good resource.

I believe the price in this respect is given as “per speaker”. Not “per speaker pair”.

laudio

I believe the price in this respect is given as “per speaker”. Not “per speaker pair”.

Looks like you may be correct. But some like Studio 530 are the pair price. Didn't look at all of them.

lonewolf

Nice! I am only an hour away from there. When things get back to normal I am going to head over there and have a good listen to them. I have Revel F35s so won't be replacing them lol, but I'd like to have a more reasonably priced pair of speakers to recommend to people - even tho pretty much anyone I know considers $300 for a pair of speakers to be expensive lol. Ah well, you can lead a horse to water, and all that...

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice! I am only an hour away from there. When things get back to normal I am going to head over there and have a good listen to them. I have Revel F35s so won't be replacing them lol, but I'd like to have a more reasonably priced pair of speakers to recommend to people - even tho pretty much anyone I know considers $300 for a pair of speakers to be expensive lol. Ah well, you can lead a horse to water, and all that...
$600 USD a pair

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
$700 canadian. What I meant was, most people I know would consider spending $300 on any pair of speakers to be expensive, so having a $700 pair of speakers to recommend is wasted since no one would be crazy enough to spend "that much money" lol. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
Yeah, after re-reading, I realized what you meant.
I heard these at RMAF and was impressed. (Subjectively)

tuga

Major Contributor
Yeah... We can decrypt anyway. And we have the right to feel something and we have the right to express our feeling. Fore example, I prefer the white. It's not at all science, it's my feeling.

How do you know you realy like white? Did you double-blind test, level-matched? Science tells us that people prefer black.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
ASR is more hurtaudiofeelings.com

Keith

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well, I might call it "normal".

So is this model identical to what sells as the Debut 2.0 B6.2 around here? Those seem to be selling at around 300€ a pair. That, in fact, is inexpensive.
It is not.

Top Bottom