• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

Tihomir

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 bookshelf speaker. It was kindly purchased new and drop shipped to me for testing. The DBR-62 costs US $600 a pair from multiple sources/dealers.

The DBR-62 comes in black and walnut finish or the distressed Oak and white which is what I received:

I really like the baffle, the slot port and woofer. The grill on the tweeter is a bit out of place in my mind but not overly so. Overall, it is a very modern take on speaker design which I like. It comes with a gray patterned grill which can hide the drivers if you like.

So far my reviews of other Andrew Jones speakers has not resulted in any star performers. Some have actually been disappointing. Will the DBR-62 be an exception? Let's find out.

Measurements that you are about to see were performed using the Klippel Near-field Scanner (NFS). This is a robotic measurement system that analyzes the speaker all around and is able (using advanced mathematics and dual scan) to subtract room reflections (so where I measure it doesn't matter). It also measures the speaker at close distance ("near-field") which sharply reduces the impact of room noise. Both of these factors enable testing in ordinary rooms yet results that can be more accurate than anechoic chamber. In a nutshell, the measurements show the actual sound coming out of the speaker independent of the room.

All measurements are reference to tweeter axis with the grill removed. Frequency resolution is 2.7 Hz. Over 700 measurement points were used to assure high precision in higher frequencies, resulting in well under 1% error. I am also using averaging to lower noise in bass frequencies. I also doubled the drive voltage (for spinorama) to overcome low frequency noise in my setting.

All measurements are with no grill and on tweeter axis.

Spinorama Audio Measurements
Acoustic measurements can be grouped in a way that can be perceptually analyzed to determine how good a speaker can be used. This so called spinorama shows us just about everything we need to know about the speaker with respect to tonality and some flaws:

View attachment 55713

On-axis response is quite flat for a budget bookshelf speaker. Yes, there are a few peaks here and there including a resonance around 610 Hz which you can also see in the waterfall display:

View attachment 55714

Predicted in-room response is quite good as well, indicating off-axis performance that is close to on-axis:

View attachment 55715

I note EQ but in later listening, I don't think that is necessary.

Here is the response for the most powerful and audible reflections in a typical room:

View attachment 55718

Minimum impedance is 5 ohm which is above most bookshelf speakers which drop below 4 ohm:

View attachment 55716

However, note the area I have circled. Impedance is high at about 8 ohms but the phase angle is quite acute at nearly 50 degrees. This means the speaker will ask for current when the output voltage is very low. So you better have a beefy amplifier to drive this speaker.

Edit: Distortion measurement

View attachment 55737
Eye-candy Speaker Measurements
Horizontal directivity shows that most of the response enjoys a very wide, nearly 80 degree angle:
View attachment 55719

This means toe-in angle is quite forgiving. And there is wide sweet (listening) spot.

Vertical angle is much worse and is typical of two-way speakers of this design:

View attachment 55720

Which backs my recommendation to absorb those reflections if it doesn't make your room too dead.

I zoomed in the 3-D soundfield at the resonance frequency for fun:

View attachment 55721

On the right is our woofer/port. On the left is the back of the speaker. So it looks like the back is resonating and causing interference pattern with the front wave.

Speaker Listening Tests
Ah, what joy! Just put the ELAC DBR-62 on the stand and with no fiddling/adjusting, etc. it sounded superb! Absolutely superb. Balanced sound with tons of detail. Bass output was impressive. Despite use of a single speaker in my testing, it could fill my massive space with plenty of powerful low energy. Mind you, there was 1000 watts on tap to drive it but still, the speaker showed little sign of stress. At extremely high levels (ear bleeding) I could hear some resonances but back off a bit and you were invited to incredible performance.

I went through some 20 to 30 reference tracks and every one, without exception sounded amazing! With some speakers I have to hunt to find a good sounding track or two. Not with the Elac DBR-62.

Note that the only EQ I used was for the 200 bass mode in my room. There is enough bass out of this speaker to energize that mode so be sure to have some means of EQ for your bass frequencies. Above that, none is needed but you are welcome to try some to taste (broad, low-Q EQ).

Conclusions
The ELAC DBR-62 objectively and subjectively meets and exceeds my expectations. It is "Andrew Jones" as I expected but had been missing up to now. It is "high-end" sound on a budget with little to apologize for. I was sad to stop listening to it to type this review! It is that good.

Message to Andrew: please stop messing with coaxial drivers and such. Optimized 2-way system like this outperforms them all. They design won't sound sexy on paper but boy does it sound good in person. And no fussiness with placement in room either.

So save up if you have to but don't settle for anything less than this. I am happy to give my strongest recommendation for ELAC DBR-62.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Two things make me happy: audio products that are well engineered and money. Today I got my dose of the former so no donation is necessary. But if you feel like it, you can do so using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Amir, I can't find at what SPL you measured THD ?

Smislov

2010-2013 model year L
That’s a pretty obscure older model. ELAC’s own product archive or their website doesn’t have anything on the model.

Since you already linked to their image, have you read the short HiFi Review review?
IMG_3665.jpeg
IMG_3666.jpeg

arunthegr8

I was looking to add an Elac Debut 6.2 or Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 as an on wall surround speaker for my Home Theatre setup. Where I live it is only a 100$ difference between the speakers. Price being no bar which one these two speakers would you recommend for a Home Theatre surround sound speaker? From what I am reading the Debut 6.2. seems to be more dynamic than the DBR-62 which is more rounded off for music. Please let me know your reccomendations.

burkm

Judging from the tenor of the majority of the reviews, I read, I come to a different conclusion: there seems to be quite a difference betwenn the "Debut Reference" (DBR62) and standard Debut 62 version qualitywise.
Not only mechanical but from the sound too. The Debut DBR62 seems to be quite superior to the standard Debut 62 version. I would not risk to buy the cheaper version just because its cheaper and more "dynamic" (???). Its frequency response, probably due to different chassis and the box design is less tolerant. Many reviews question the reason anyway, why there is a cheaper "standard" version because of the acoustical superiority of the reference model.

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Judging from the tenor of thr majority of the reviews, I read I come to a different conclusion: there seems to be quite a difference betwenn the "Debut Reference" (DBR62) and standard Debut 62 version qualitywise.
Not only mechanical but from the sound too. The Debut DBR62 seems to be quite superior to the standard Debut 62 version. I would not risk to buy the cheaper version just because its cheaper and more "dynamic" (???). Its frequency response, probably due to different chassis and the box design is less tolerant. Many reviews question the reason anyway, why there is a cheaper "standard" version because of the acoustical superiority of the reference model.
In short most of the budget even with DBR62's went on boxes and it's a great enclosure having much less internal refractions and better controled in generally too not reference series and many even much pricier speakers. In fact it's so good that you get very little back to front refractions and low reverberation timing (waterfal plots, RT60) when cut high at 120 Hz (nullifying/plugging port cuff also, and much easier to drive that way). Dynamics are good up to or close to 96~100 dB @1 m SPL. The DBR62's aren't best in any way but for the price they will have place in history even long after they time.

Paspolc

when cut high at 120 Hz (nullifying/plugging port cuff also, and much easier to drive that way).

Can you elaborate? my english is not that good. Especially the part" nullifying/plugging port cuff also" , what does that mean?

Thanks a lot
Pasquale

burkm

In short most of the budget even with DBR62's went on boxes and it's a great enclosure having much less internal refractions and better controled in generally too not reference series and many even much pricier speakers. In fact it's so good that you get very little back to front refractions and low reverberation timing (waterfal plots, RT60) when cut high at 120 Hz (nullifying/plugging port cuff also, and much easier to drive that way). Dynamics are good up to or close to 96~100 dB @1 m SPL. The DBR62's aren't best in any way but for the price they will have place in history even long after they time.
The enclosures are usually the most expensive part of a speaker for the manufacturer. The measurements (ASR) are also quite good for a speaker of this (budget) price niveau. If one is looking for a speaker within the given price range they are probably the ones to chose.
If You cut off the speaker below i.e. 120 Hz, the demand on the power amp is even less, because most of the bass managment (and power draw) down there is (probably) been handled then by a subwoofer.

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
when cut high at 120 Hz (nullifying/plugging port cuff also, and much easier to drive that way).

Can you elaborate? my english is not that good. Especially the part" nullifying/plugging port cuff also" , what does that mean?

Thanks a lot
Pasquale
Pluging the port's, see impedance and phase graph, point is cutting off part driver is not satisfied doing in the first place and you get cuple of db higher they can go that way (2~3) without distortion/compression and keeping it under control.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
The enclosures are usually the most expensive part of a speaker for the manufacturer. The measurements (ASR) are also quite good for a speaker of this (budget) price niveau. If one is looking for a speaker within the given price range they are probably the ones to chose.
If You cut off the speaker below i.e. 120 Hz, the demand on the power amp is even less, because most of the bass managment (and power draw) down there is (probably) been handled then by a subwoofer.
Take a look at:
So you minimise 630 and 850 Hz cabinet refractions by pluging the port's while cross it just above cone 100 and cuple Hz, meaningfully at 120 Hz so easier to drive all together.

Edit: combined with sealed enclosure sub's you easily get good clarity and TR60 even in half deacent space and all the way down (depending on sub's of course and do you want tu similarly under cut them below resonance frequency as I just did with mid woffer's in such use case).

Last edited:

Eldus

Take a look at:
So you minimise 630 and 850 Hz cabinet refractions by pluging the port's while cross it just above cone 100 and cuple Hz, meaningfully at 120 Hz so easier to drive all together.

Edit: combined with sealed enclosure sub's you easily get good clarity and TR60 even in half deacent space and all the way down (depending on sub's of course and do you want tu similarly under cut them below resonance frequency as I just did with mid woffer's in such use case).
Is the frequency response the only thing that would change by stuffing the ports? Would there be extra pressure or limited agility of the woofer with restricted airflow?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Is the frequency response the only thing that would change by stuffing the ports? Would there be extra pressure or limited agility of the woofer with restricted airflow?
Of course not that FR is the only thing which would change, most driver simulations are close enclosure one's purposely. Max excursion for the cone is the same and so is the maximum linear one only harder to push them to it and impulse response is shorter. Difference in FR is what you cut off the port tuning and because of internal compression the mids are little bit up and more linear. That's what you get in generally. Tho the usual plugs for ported speakers made of foam alike materials still breed but cut the port output, so not really sealed enclosure any way.

wyup

Just to attest how good these speakers are, last week I auditioned them in a store with three good amplifiers and boy they sound good!
I tried them with the new Musical Fidelity A1, I was amazed at how they transformed, top end was there, I thought they were recessed as we point out here, but it really depends on the amplifier driving them. These are a bit hard and demand power to move them. I also tried a Unison Research Unico Primo 80w hybrid amplifier and this gave an amazing body and midrange and moved the drivers best. These are speakers that really upscale well with electronics. I compared them to Andrew Jones' new Mofi Sourcepoint 8 speakers and surprisingly they share a very similar sound, it's hard to believe the price difference.

I'm considering upgrading the caps to the crossover but I'm a bit weary that the new caps change the great balance of this speaker. I've been told that even if choosing same values, each cap has their sound and internal resistance with frequency, and designers tune the crossover based on available parts. I'll probably try the mod, but keep the possibility of turning to stock caps if I don't like it.

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just to attest how good these speakers are, last week I auditioned them in a store with three good amplifiers and boy they sound good!
I tried them with the new Musical Fidelity A1, I was amazed at how they transformed, top end was there, I thought they were recessed as we point out here, but it really depends on the amplifier driving them. These are a bit hard and demand power to move them. I also tried a Unison Research Unico Primo 80w hybrid amplifier and this gave an amazing body and midrange and moved the drivers best. These are speakers that really upscale well with electronics. I compared them to Andrew Jones' new Mofi Sourcepoint 8 speakers and surprisingly they share a very similar sound, it's hard to believe the price difference.

I'm considering upgrading the caps to the crossover but I'm a bit weary that the new caps change the great balance of this speaker. I've been told that even if choosing same values, each cap has their sound and internal resistance with frequency, and designers tune the crossover based on available parts. I'll probably try the mod, but keep the possibility of turning to stock caps if I don't like it.
271c22724f6e2360effa30297d8cc45f_w200.gif

Last edited:

Triliza

Forum Donor
Check this first:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nce-in-high-end-capacitors-abx-samples.48703/

O Akroatís

I have already read many good comments here about the Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 speaker but for the time being I cannot find anything for an ELAC Uni-Fi Reference UBR62. Has this not been reviewed here yet or am I overlooking it?

Doenerkunde

I have already read many good comments here about the Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 speaker but for the time being I cannot find anything for an ELAC Uni-Fi Reference UBR62. Has this not been reviewed here yet or am I overlooking it?

No, but Erin from Erins Audio Corner reviewed them and measured them on his Klippel NFS:

Top Bottom