• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

E1DA 9038D Review (portable DAC & Amp)

staticV3

Master Contributor
Sieved through this thread via the search function, but there doesn't seem to any direct answer yet.

Has any had success with such a cable or hub on Android phones ? Tried a few of those on available online, but none seem to work.
Its either connecting to the DAC dongle or charging the phone. None of them seem to do both at the same time.
The OTG adapter in the post that you're quoting can be used to supply power to the DAC via an external power supply, instead of that power coming from your phone's battery: https://aliexpress.com/item/1005003097221593.html

What this adapter cannot do is allow you to charge your phone while it's connected to a USB DAC.

If you want to charge your phone while it's connected to a USB DAC, then you will need:
A: a USB Hub with USB Power Delivery Passthrough, like this one
B: a phone which supports USB Power Delivery charging

I did some tests with such a USB hub, the results of which you can find here.

D

Deleted member 4708

I just got the 9038D6K version from Amazon. It's very small - a true miniature. Hat is off to the company for being able to achieve such a high SNR/SINAD in such a small package. The aluminum enclosure is very solid.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The OTG adapter in the post that you're quoting can be used to supply power to the DAC via an external power supply, instead of that power coming from your phone's battery: https://aliexpress.com/item/1005003097221593.html

What this adapter cannot do is allow you to charge your phone while it's connected to a USB DAC.

If you want to charge your phone while it's connected to a USB DAC, then you will need:
A: a USB Hub with USB Power Delivery Passthrough, like this one
B: a phone which supports USB Power Delivery charging

I did some tests with such a USB hub, the results of which you can find here.
...or one could use wireless charging, which is what I do in the car when using these dongles.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
If you can find them, these work https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400....order_list.order_list_main.70.67dc1802lcXw2C

Big caveat- not all Android phones handle dacs and power in the same way. These Ugreen things work on any of my pixel phones (3, 5, 6) but not my previous Oneplus(7t). Some builds simply wont allow you to charge the phone as it outputs data.
Hi Jimbo,

managed to find a copy of the UGreen adaptor.

It works !! (On my LG V40 ThinQ but not on my other, even older phone).

I can plug my phone to the Khadas Tone Board, which in turn is plugged to a JDS Atom and a HE4XX. Works beautifully as I can charge the phone while outputing to the 9038D or the Khadas Toneboard. And it charges pretty fast from a 5W outlet, considering that if I just connected without the adaptor, my phone will probably be flat in under an hour.

Oh, not forgetting, it can work too outputing from the DAC to the Edifier MR4, desktop monitors.

Think its a really good solution for those considering what I am doing.

Thank you again for the recommendation.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Jimbo,

managed to find a copy of the UGreen adaptor.

It works !! (On my LG V40 ThinQ but not on my other, even older phone).

I can plug my phone to the Khadas Tone Board, which in turn is plugged to a JDS Atom and a HE4XX. Works beautifully as I can charge the phone while outputing to the 9038D or the Khadas Toneboard. And it charges pretty fast from a 5W outlet, considering that if I just connected without the adaptor, my phone will probably be flat in under an hour.

Oh, not forgetting, it can work too outputing from the DAC to the Edifier MR4, desktop monitors.

Think its a really good solution for those considering what I am doing.

Thank you again for the recommendation.
Brill- glad you are sorted.

JollyOlly

Hello,
recently I've started experiencing an interesting issue with my 9038D on windows.
After a period of inactivity a regular thumping noise appears, almost like heartbeat, very intrusive.
I know something like that can happen sometimes on mobile devices, but the E1DA app fixes it right off the bat.
How would I go about fixing that on widows? It has never happened before and I've been using this Dac/amp for the last 2 years at least.

Thanks in advance

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,
recently I've started experiencing an interesting issue with my 9038D on windows.
After a period of inactivity a regular thumping noise appears, almost like heartbeat, very intrusive.
I know something like that can happen sometimes on mobile devices, but the E1DA app fixes it right off the bat.
How would I go about fixing that on widows? It has never happened before and I've been using this Dac/amp for the last 2 years at least.

Thanks in advance
In the E1DA app turn off standby

JollyOlly

Oh, thanks. I'd never think that the app settings are stored on the device even after it's disconnected

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, thanks. I'd never think that the app settings are stored on the device even after it's disconnected
I think technically the app is just a GUI front end into the device's settings. Its not a player app- just an interface.

Same applies with any max volume limits, filters etc you set up in the app.

s9_0d1n

20230828_153104.jpg

Spot the relevant DAC (the one in real life not in the browser :) ).

Thanks to amirm for the initial review, to @staticV3 for all the useful info in this thread, and to @IVX for creating such a nice product (this being the "6K" iteration).

Last edited:
Heads up that E1DA devices do not work on most Apple devices updated to iOS 17. I have a few iPhones and iPads that worked with the 9038 series on iOS 15 and 16, and all ceased to work on iOS 17. Keep your iDevices on iOS 16 if it's important for E1DA devices to work for you with them.

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
I did update my wife's iphone to ios17 to investigate the problem.
PS: And yes, after iphone was updated to ios17 it stopped working with 9038S/D
however, Comtrue gave me the latest FW code, and I see that ios17 works with that.
So the solution is found but I need some time to adapt my custom functions to that new FW source.

Last edited:

phofman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I wonder what changed in IOS 17 support for the UAC2 protocol, any details?

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
Hi Pavel, I've no idea so far. But I noticed that the Windows driver which I can download from https://www.comtrue-inc.com/index.php/download2/category/4-ct7601
works with my FW which is based on the Comtrue FW source of 2020, but my FW doesn't work with the driver 2022 which Comtrue supplies privately. The new FW source works with that new driver. Looks like Comtrue had some mistake in the previous FW code which potentially had a chance to appear in the future, and that happened with ios17.
So far I adapted only Audio.c part of the code and found no difference old vs new FW. Today will try to adapt Discriptors.c part.

PetZoundz

So happy someone else reported the issue with iOS 17! I thought I was losing my mind trying to have my iPhone recognize the 9038D. I’ve literally been going through withdrawal not being able to use it for the last week!

Cheb

I want to offer ios17 ready FW with no HID function, there is no Tweak9038 app support. As I understand, ios17 users don't care because the app is only for Android. Also I switched off Standby, mute, and PTL functions.
Any love for the PowerDac v2.1?

Cheb

I traded-in my iOS 17 infected 13 Pro Max for a 14 just to get back on iOS 16, which the 14's ship with. Thankfully AT&T had a promotion and it didn't cost me anything. Regardless, I was so close to moving on from Apple entirely. First we had the iOS 16.5 debacle, which killed all USB powered devices, including their own Lightning to USB 3 Adapter, but they eventually fixed it (and took their sweet time doing so). iOS 17 undid all the progress and many of my powered usb devices (not just E1DA goodness) will refuse to work with my OTG lightning cables and will only function with Apple's Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter, but with an added caveat: you need to be plugged in to the passthrough lightning charge port. But that's just for a select few devices, the majority of them will not play nice with iOS 17. It's a power-draw issue, so pretty much all my active amps are toast. Either way, best case scenario: I'm tethered to an outlet when I want to listen to music on the phone. Don't you just love progress? I think Apple has single-handedly redefined the meaning of the word, "update/upgrade" in its latest iterations of iOS.

I just can't get over h
ow out of touch a company must be, which simultaneously gives us LOSSLESS STREAMING via Apple Music and removes, arguably, the best method for appreciating that higher bitrate goodness: wired, powered audio interfaces and power hungry headphones.

I won't even get started on the response I received from engineering after my tech support case was escalated, following several weeks of phone calls with "support", providing necessary photos, detailed explanations, etc. Their way of seeing it - it was all just "expected behavior"; addressing my inability to interface with any of my audio gear on iOS 17. Literally those two words were what the support gal scheduled a 7pm phone call around. That's all the Engineering Team could manage to provide her with. For context: I knew my E1DA PDV2.1 & 9038 issues were not going to get much traction with some third party OTG lightning cable so I went the route of using their own Apple Lightning to USB3 adapter to prove the point. Weeks later they inform me that this was all "expected behavior" as I was using a Camera Adapter to interface with devices other than a camera. That "explanation" came from the best minds at Apple. Incompetence or indifference are the only two options in this case. I'm guessing it's the latter.

From Apple's own adapter product page: "Add even greater capability and versatility to your iOS device by powering the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter with a USB Power Adapter. Then you can connect USB peripherals like hubs, Ethernet adapters, audio/MIDI interfaces, and card readers for CompactFlash, SD, microSD, and more."

Having written this out, I actually kind of regret staying in the Apple Ecosystem with the iPhone 14 Pro trade. I should have cut and ran and made the switch to Android. USB-C! What a novel idea!

Last edited:
Top Bottom