• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

E1DA 9038D Review (portable DAC & Amp)

Makahl

@IVX
I'm not sure if it's easy to implement, but I'd love to have the option to disable the PTL via the 9038Tweak app. I added a negative gain to use it with my IEMs, and whenever I tweak the volume on Windows too fast, it decreases the gain via the PTL function, making it a bit bothersome to fix it from time to time. However, if it's not possible, that's fine too.

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
I threw away my 4s in 2014 as I remember, after I noticed they heated up my phone any time it idle lay on my desk > 30 minutes. Apple inc tried to push me to buy 5s but I didn't appreciate it.
PDv2.1 FW_ios request accepted.
ios17 fix for PDv2.1

Attachments

• PDv2_1_ios17.zip
    21.3 KB · Views: 32

IVX

Major Contributor
@IVX
I'm not sure if it's easy to implement, but I'd love to have the option to disable the PTL via the 9038Tweak app. I added a negative gain to use it with my IEMs, and whenever I tweak the volume on Windows too fast, it decreases the gain via the PTL function, making it a bit bothersome to fix it from time to time. However, if it's not possible, that's fine too.
I did such FW already, pls check/search our discord.

Makahl

Out of curiosity, is the new ES9039q2m project only for the balanced topology S version, or do you have plans to make an updated '9039D' as well?

Lewzke

@IVX
I disabled PTL by reflashing the unit. I never used this functionality so I needed to disable it. If I ever change the headphone to a more sensitive one I will just setup the volume limit from the Tweak app once but I don't need the accidental PTL volume mess. I downloaded this from the discord and I used the flashing tool from the E1DA website. So far no issues and all the settings remained unchanged after the reflash, except one thing: the PTL is gone :)

Attachments

• ES9038D_S_no_PTL.zip
    42 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Jorj

Forum Donor
@IVX I recently updated from my trusty Samsung S10+ to a S24 Ultra. When plugging in the 9038D, the light comes on steady and eventually it will output random passages of the music that is playing at full volume...ear-bleedingly loud, then a bit of full volume static, then nothing, repeat. If I quickly turn off the music app and wait a bit, then turn on the music after the 9038D light has gone off, it seems to work OK. Sometimes I have to do this several times before it settles down and plays music.

I'm not sure who to ask for a fix to this as I don't know if this is a Samsung USB-C audio issue or something with the 9038D. It has not happened with other devices, so I'm leaning towards this being a Samsung bug.

I use Poweramp as my music player app and there was one other strange behavior. When I plug in the DAC, I get a small floating notification (not a proper Android notification) with a Solid Explorer notification that says "Preparing USB Device...". I do use Solid Explorer and have never seen it do this before, but I feel quite certain that the DAC should not trick it into thinking that it is a USB storage device. This happens at the same time as the Tweak9038 app takes charge of the screen.

PS: I uninstalled the Solid Explorer app, and while the notification stopped showing up, the audio issue remained. So, I put it back on.

PPS: I changed the Poweramp setting to Resume Music On Wired Headset Connection, and this does seem to make things better. It allows the Tweak9038 app to wake up and the DAC itself to power on and then settle down. Once I begin the music, no excessive loudness.

Hope this helps any of you out there that are trying this combination of devices yourselves. Damn you, Samsung. Why did you have to go and imitate Apple? If you'd have just stuck with the 3.5mm jack, this would not be an issue.

IVX

Major Contributor
@IVX I recently updated from my trusty Samsung S10+ to a S24 Ultra. When plugging in the 9038D, the light comes on steady and eventually it will output random passages of the music that is playing at full volume...ear-bleedingly loud, then a bit of full volume static, then nothing, repeat. If I quickly turn off the music app and wait a bit, then turn on the music after the 9038D light has gone off, it seems to work OK. Sometimes I have to do this several times before it settles down and plays music.

I'm not sure who to ask for a fix to this as I don't know if this is a Samsung USB-C audio issue or something with the 9038D. It has not happened with other devices, so I'm leaning towards this being a Samsung bug.

I use Poweramp as my music player app and there was one other strange behavior. When I plug in the DAC, I get a small floating notification (not a proper Android notification) with a Solid Explorer notification that says "Preparing USB Device...". I do use Solid Explorer and have never seen it do this before, but I feel quite certain that the DAC should not trick it into thinking that it is a USB storage device. This happens at the same time as the Tweak9038 app takes charge of the screen.

PS: I uninstalled the Solid Explorer app, and while the notification stopped showing up, the audio issue remained. So, I put it back on.

PPS: I changed the Poweramp setting to Resume Music On Wired Headset Connection, and this does seem to make things better. It allows the Tweak9038 app to wake up and the DAC itself to power on and then settle down. Once I begin the music, no excessive loudness.

Hope this helps any of you out there that are trying this combination of devices yourselves. Damn you, Samsung. Why did you have to go and imitate Apple? If you'd have just stuck with the 3.5mm jack, this would not be an issue.
I haven't heard about that issue so far but we had massive problems with ios17, I prepared ios17 FW which you can try with your android too.

Top Bottom