• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dynaudio LYD 5 Studio Monitor Review

temps

You want to say less bass...
No, I meant cleaner. I'd rather have a tiny bit less clean bass, than "more" distorted bass, in a STUDIO APPLICATION, where reference quality, non-distorted playback is the ultimate goal. Unfortunately, people have stopped dead at frequency response and go no further; the distortion measurements are equally as important, if not moreso, but why bother? People clearly don't care; Amir shouldn't waste his time on them any further.
The logical admission is that it could audible at highish levels, depending on the music material, the distortion measurements started at 85dB which as said translates usually to over 95dB at the bass region at near field monitoring, which is something noone really uses 5" monitors for.
They literally say the bass distortion is audible. I mean, I went and auditioned all these speakers... I heard the distortion. It is good to see charts confirming my ears work just fine. Clearly we are in a range where non-professional listeners simply can't hear the artifacts I'm concerned with.
Which monitors did you use? My experience like Richards here is that loudspeakers with linear on-axis sound and different directivity sound very differently both tonally (wider dispersion sounds brighter due to the higher sound power at higher frequencies) and also image more diffuse and wide, vs. narrow dispersion which images closer and smaller to the listener, the extreme version of that is listening in an anechoic chamber or to headphones.
Adam A5. AMT tweeter with no waveguide. Each element in the sound field indeed more diffuse - while positioning is still very strong each element is a little fuzzier around the edges, in particular the center. Unfortunately they sound darker, even though response over 12khz is substantially stronger on the Dynaudios. Spectogram reflects less energy in the treble, too.

You're confused here, the measurements were done with the F6 at 60 Hz instead of 50 like the 8030C, so you can't really know if it's much cleaner. Personally, I see that the midbass to midrange distorsion is higher even with that setting, so I can't see where you can claim it to be superior.
Yes, now look at the charts for each... Dynaudio still has plenty of useful output even in this setting. The Genelec is a few dB louder, whilst being more distorted, meaning this output is functionally worthless in a STUDIO APPLICATION. It does this at a very moderate listening level - 85dB is a common working level, because it's perceived as mostly flat while also being safe to listen to for hours at a time. The rest of the range is below the threshold of audibility (and science agrees). I don't even care what a 5" studio monitor is doing at 96dB. Interesting for measurement, I guess, but that's it.

This is just plain wrong. There a lots of big studios which run a pair of small Genelecs or similar on the meter bridge, as addition to the big in-wall speakers.
So you simply admit they are only good as alternates, and nobody can get by with only a pair of 8x3x monitors... obvious to most of us, I think. Even Genelec, seeing as how they don't show a single studio running only 5" monitors. It'd be good marketing for them so I presume there was nobody to showcase.
Too bad - mine (~$2k) has. Anyway you could use a software EQ in the PC.
Good for you. I'm sure you put it to great use. Alright, software EQ, now I have three outputs - two high passed, one low passed. What monitor controller do I run this through?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They literally say the bass is audible. I mean, I went and auditioned all these speakers... I heard the distortion. It is good to see charts confirming my ears work fine.
Interestingly you wrote in another thread in July you liked both the Genelec and Neumann more then the LYD:
Listening to music on the 8030 is enjoyable, maybe more than you'd want from a studio monitor, but the Neumanns (KH 120 & 80) were even more enjoyable. The most uninteresting (and maybe therefore the most honest?) was the Dynaudio LYD-5 which wasn't even on my radar until I went to the store.
I guess you like the "more" bass distortion which is still less than the one of the Dyns if compared at the same response level.
Anyway, de gustibus non est disputandum, only objective stuff like measurements can be discussed and some people like listening or mixing at very high SPLs where of course none 5-inch woofer is enough without subwoofer help with bass heavy material.

turbotuff

Forum Donor
If you want "cheap" bass, you're going to need a big woofer and a big amplifier (unlike the LSR308's). Behringer's B2031A is a classic, there's Mackie's HR824 and Kali's IN-8. Though I'd spend 2~3 times as much, as this is what's needed to really get to the next technological level.
Been waiting to see a pair of HR824s tested

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I am happy that dynaudio was finally measured, hopefully some dynaudio speakers instead of monitors follow. I wish a kind soul loans the dynaudio emit m20s to amir, if you read this and own them emit, please consider loaning them to amir!

I have a pair of Excite X14s boxed up for sale that I could send in to be measured then drop shipped to their eventual buyer. I just need to get around to shipping them and listing them for sale.

I also have a pair of Excite X18s in my study, but they are my main speakers, and I would not want to lose one for an extended period of time. Once I decide on and buy a pair for the media room, I can move the LS50s to the study and send in an X18, but that might be a few months.

kezman

how do you like the speaker with the specific setting -10hz bass extension? how much do you hear that goes with the setting to -10hz bass extension? I'm interested to buying this speaker, but I'm afraid I will not hear bass frequencies as I imagine them, i have the jbl 305p mk2 and is very good in low hertz...
in amirm measurements the JBL 305mk2 has 41hz -10db , the lyd5 has 41hz -20db, with the switch at -10hz bass extension in lyd5 you hear it going at least -15db or 12db or somewhere in there? :)

DanGuitarMan

how do you like the speaker with the specific setting -10hz bass extension? how much do you hear that goes with the setting to -10hz bass extension? I'm interested to buying this speaker, but I'm afraid I will not hear bass frequencies as I imagine them, i have the jbl 305p mk2 and is very good in low hertz...
in amirm measurements the JBL 305mk2 has 41hz -10db , the lyd5 has 41hz -20db, with the switch at -10hz bass extension in lyd5 you hear it going at least -15db or 12db or somewhere in there? :)

I like them a lot. They fit my room well size/looks wise. My room is small and has a lot of aberrations in the bass range. They dwarf any problems that any speaker might introduce. I use parametric eq from 350 and below to correct those room problems, and it works very well. I get a lot of mileage out of using Room EQ Wizard and a measurement mic. That has more of an impact than let's say a +/- 3dB difference between speaker brands, in my opinion.

I used to have two subwoofers in this room, but I downsized to just the Lyd 5s. I don't really miss the subs, but I'm not much of a bass head anyway.

temps

Huh. That's some legit studio gear.

SPL 2Control:
Input/Output noise: -96 dBu(A) - not spectacular but should do.
Max input/output level: +21.5 dBu - more than enough.
(Total dynamic range = 117.5 dB(A) max with a strong input signal. 114.5 dB(A) at unity gain with +21.5 dBu output. Knowing volume controls, output noise may rise substantially above the nominal -96dBu(A) around 6 dB down from maximum setting.)

It does have a ground lift switch which may be worth a shot, even if just to see whether it has any effect at all, though I doubt it does.

Fireface UC:
Dynamic range D/A: 110 dB unweighted, 113 dB(A)
0 dBFS output level: +2 dBV (-10 dBV) / +13 dBu (+4 dBu) / +19 dBu (Hi Gain)

You preferably should run the Hi Gain output level setting for Fireface noise to safely dominate 2Control noise. I would also recommend some 10-12 dB inline XLR attenuators between the 2Control and LYDs.

What you can try right now is connecting Fireface UC output directly to the LYDs and see what hiss level is like then, with output level set to either +4 dBu or -10 dBV nominal. I imagine that it would be quite plainly audible in Hi Gain but may already be dominated by integrated amplifier noise at +4 dBu.

BTW - Fireface UC specs may only be midrange level by modern standards but should still be entirely adequate in practice. It's not like you can hear a -100 dB THD, plus you've got considerable leeway in placing your 110 dB instantaneous dynamic range via I/O level settings, allowing you to effectively cover a range of up to 125 dB (well, I guess the line level inputs are unlikely to deliver better than -103 dBu of effective input noise, so probably more like 120 dB total). Honestly, for audio recording and playback purposes, that'll do perfectly fine. Certainly so for playback; a point could possibly be made for some extreme edge cases in recording, and measurement is a different story altogether.
This was great advice. The attenuators did kill some hiss that must have been coming from the 2Control. I find if I run the Fireface in higain mode, the treble gets a little sibilant which could be distortion from running too hot a signal into the 2Control. So I set the Fireface down to +4dBu output, and then turned the monitors up to 0dB sensitivity from -6.

Could just be psychoacoustic but I swear the setup overall sounds better. The hiss is definitely a non-issue now.

kezman

I have a question...Dynaudio LYD 5 woofer 5" vs Neumann KH80 woofer 4"...
based on measurements and with Bass extension -10Hz: 50Hz - 21kHz on dynaudio, how is it possible that the speaker still does not have a deep bass and the neumann kh80 which is the smallest produces deep low? then why do they say in dynaudio company that the speaker is playing Bass extension -10Hz: 50Hz - 21kHz , while the measurements show us Frequency response in bass extensionn 0hz: +/-2.6dB 80Hz-20kHz and with Bass extension -10Hz i believe it will be /-2.6dB 70Hz-20kHz... I'm confused, ultimately which produces more low, the lyd5 or the kh80? I want to buy these days the dynaudio lyd5 but I'm afraid to be disappointed if he doesn't have a low end bass...I also have the jbl 305p mk2 and i like very much the bass hertz...but all the other frequencies they are very colorfull!

q3cpma

Major Contributor
based on measurements and with Bass extension -10Hz: 50Hz - 21kHz on dynaudio, how is it possible that the speaker still does not have a deep bass and the neumann kh80 which is the smallest produces deep low? then why do they say in dynaudio company that the speaker is playing Bass extension -10Hz: 50Hz - 21kHz , while the measurements show us Frequency response in bass extensionn 0hz: +/-2.6dB 80Hz-20kHz and with Bass extension -10Hz i believe it will be /-2.6dB 70Hz-20kHz... I'm confused, ultimately which produces more low, the lyd5 or the kh80? I want to buy these days the dynaudio lyd5 but I'm afraid to be disappointed if he doesn't have a low end bass...I also have the jbl 305p mk2 and i like very much the bass hertz...but all the other frequencies they are very colorfull!
Why not the KH120A or 8030C? You're sure it has more bass, then.

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Think your data "Bass extension -10Hz: 50Hz -21kHz" sound off and it should probably read -10dB: 50Hz-21kHz, in Amirs sound power curve -10dB point for bass is 52Hz so very close there.

Comparison of roll off slope based Amir's analyze data..

kezman_x1x1_800mS.gif

Details LYD-5 verse KH 80 side by side column..

kezman_2.png

Last edited:

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The other thing to keep in mind is deeper bass VS more bass.

So whilst the KH80 May have a lower F10 (deeper bass)

And the LYD5 has a higher F3/F10, bump engineered in 100Hz, the mid bass SPL is higher (bigger driver, limiters to prevent woofers being overdriven)

So which you prefer depends on your preference and what music you are auditioning (favourite music or “speaker killer tracks”)

The graphs and lines tell you something but it is not complete, and won’t tell you what you prefer, if left to your own devices

For instance, if I had the space in my listening room, I would choose the 15” woofer, over the 5.25” woofer, even if they both had the same F3 of 50Hz.

I’m not sure if the spinorama measurements would be able to delineate those differences.

Last edited:

kezman

today finally i bought the dynaudio lyd5, I also have it in my room the neumann kh120 and the jbl 305p mk2.
the dynaudio lyd5 [back settings: -10hz bass extension-0-free-n] has deepest bass than the neumann kh120, also the dynaudio tweeter is much softer and better for my ears than the neumann kh120 and also neumann is not worth its money!
the jbl 305p mk2 is a very cheap-poor construction compared to the others and it is good only for gassing and loud music, such as dj or dancing, not good for mixing or profressional job, and the trebles is very harsh and all the speaker is a colored...
in my room and for my ears the dynaudio is the winner in all situtations from the others! i have semi treament room with acoustics foams!
the only negative that dynaudio has is the hiss level and the back light for on/off!
dynaudio its very good for 838,
neumann 1189 and jbl 218...

testp

today finally i bought the dynaudio lyd5, I also have it in my room the neumann kh120 and the jbl 305p mk2.
the dynaudio lyd5 [back settings: -10hz bass extension-0-free-n] has deepest bass than the neumann kh120, also the dynaudio tweeter is much softer and better for my ears than the neumann kh120 and also neumann is not worth its money!
the jbl 305p mk2 is a very cheap-poor construction compared to the others and it is good only for gassing and loud music, such as dj or dancing, not good for mixing or profressional job, and the trebles is very harsh and all the speaker is a colored...
in my room and for my ears the dynaudio is the winner in all situtations from the others! i have semi treament room with acoustics foams!
the only negative that dynaudio has is the hiss level and the back light for on/off!

by hiss, you mean being close to 1 meter in a quiet room, or....?

kezman

in a quiet room you hear it from any distance! my room is 4m X 3m. in jbl is even worse the hiss...

YSC

Major Contributor
It seems what Neumann did better was a flatter response at bass region and that it does have a waveguide to make off axis experience better? In a small room I think you need some room correction to tame the room modes? Personally I listened to the neumann in a demo room and it didnt sound harsh but it’s overpriced compared to genelec and dynaudio etc.

kezman

After 3 weeks with the speakers, I decided to leave them and sell them...it is a difficult speaker and I could not get used to it, nevertheless I still like it more than the neumann kh120 or dynaudio lyd7 that i work in another studio! I think with a subwoofer it would be a much better result,
also the dynaudio bm5mk2 are more complete, and I like it more, they have the most characteristic sound of dynaudio, the lyd series it is something new, do not look like the old dynaudio sound! I hope for a dynaudio bm5mk4 in the future ...

YSC

Major Contributor
Thank you for the review @amirm!
View attachment 82760
Would it be possible to test the -10 setting? I assume it would have been preferred in the listening test (unless there's a sudden rise in distortion).
Just dig up the old review after seeing the latest passive review. As much as I like their look especially the woofer appearance, it seems that in their actives the deepest extension still falls behind the popular Neumann Genelecs and focal?

Top Bottom