• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dynaudio Heritage Special

Beefy little speakers, just listen to a great techno sound: Royksopp - do it again…..
impressive loud sound quality, good demo with lots of tight chest pounding base 100 decibel’s In a big living room!
Not real audiophile maybe, but a good showcase of the capabilities of the dynaudio heritage special with the purifi amp. This speaker can do a lot of different music at a very high quality level. except big philharmonic orchestra. For that you will need a bigger 3 or 4 way speaker in my experience. Just to get the big sound like in a concert hall. But most speakers will struggle with that imo.

Selkirks

I enjoyed the Heritage Special when I owned a pair. The HS have a unique sound compared to other Dynaudio products and they made for a great secondary speaker. Eventually they were replaced with Confidence 20's but I wouldn't mind getting another pair in the future.

Attachments

• 20210212_183429.jpg
    20210212_183429.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:

ChuckW

So, I ended up with 232/2500 and there is still 231 unsold, plus the demo pair mentioned above.

Does anyone know of any still for sale anywhere else in the world?
Try Vinylsound.ca They are located in the Toronto, Ontario region. Recent search shows they have some. Good luck!

S-unny

So, I ended up with 232/2500 and there is still 231 unsold, plus the demo pair mentioned above.

Does anyone know of any still for sale anywhere else in the world?
Try dedicatedaudio.com based in Scottsdale, Az they carry new and 6mo old returned units for under 6k !

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
wow ! thats pure class A. What is your opinion of Class A vs others on pairing with Dhs? I believe the Devialet are primarily class Ds.
Also, did you look into
- pairing with Schiit audio products ? they have an Aegir which is class A {not comparable to your L anyday}
- pairing with the Purifi's 1ET400A/eigentakt technology based amps ? eg NAD c298
... I am trying to incrementally work out the best combination with my Dhs units

It's only class A for the first 60 watts (4 ohms); it has more net power than that, but it's no longer Class A.

In my room, it's still plenty of power and I never turn it up past 12 o'clock.

The biggest difference vs the Devialet Expert is the lack of SAM tuning, lack of built-in ADC/DAC, and the phono stage.

S-unny

It's only class A for the first 60 watts (4 ohms); it has more net power than that, but it's no longer Class A.

In my room, it's still plenty of power and I never turn it up past 12 o'clock.

The biggest difference vs the Devialet Expert is the lack of SAM tuning, lack of built-in ADC/DAC, and the phono stage.
just curious, with the devialet did you have the option of connecting with & without the SAM tuning ? wondering what the difference was ?

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
just curious, with the devialet did you have the option of connecting with & without the SAM tuning ? wondering what the difference was ?

Yes, you can turn SAM on/off, and also dial it up between 0-100%.

At 100%, the difference between on/off was not subtle.

It's basically doing fancy-pants speaker-model-specific bass EQ.

Freshman1966

Good day everyone, #458 here :D

I have been following this thread for a few months now and you guys were partially responsible for me buying the Heritage Special. But really, I only needed a small nudge to fulfill a 35 year old dream of mine, haha. Also, I tried to find any negative reviews about the HS, but could not. So, here I am and you see me completely happy

I am far from being an audiophile, I just like my music to sound good. No question, the HS are overpriced but so are many other beautiful things. Currently, I am running them with a tiny hybrid amp from a Polish company called Taga - great warm sound and unbelievable value for money.

That said, I am coming from monster floor standing speakers which had a bass going down to 25 Hz (sounding even lower). Now, I do love sound of the HS but I can't help to want for a bit more substance in the lower frequency regions.

I have no experience with subs and so spent hours to read up on the subject. After (of course) stumbling over the usual suspects like REL and SVS and reading about marketing hype and a lot of "hot air", I resorted back to Dynaudio and found the Sub 6 which they market as the perfect match for their high-end shelves. Also, with matching presets available - sounds amazing. If only the price tag wasn't at 2.500 Eur here in Germany.

I am surprised that so few of you seem to run the HS with a sub. Actually, the only one I saw is @matro5 with a Sub 6. He seems to be happy with it. No one else with a sub?

Now I figured that the Sub 18s from the Pro Line is exactly the same as the Sub 6. Only difference is the finish, no cover and different presets. But it sells for almost half the price at 1.300 Eur. This seems to be great alternative since I don't plan to put the sub as an eye catcher in the middle of the room :)
Does anyone have experience with this model? Obviously, it should sound the same, I am just a bit worried about the setup (newbee)

Thanks again for pushing me over the edge - the HS will stay with me for the next decade, for sure.

Cheers, Stefan

S-unny

Good day everyone, #458 here :D

I have been following this thread for a few months now and you guys were partially responsible for me buying the Heritage Special. But really, I only needed a small nudge to fulfill a 35 year old dream of mine, haha. Also, I tried to find any negative reviews about the HS, but could not. So, here I am and you see me completely happy

I am far from being an audiophile, I just like my music to sound good. No question, the HS are overpriced but so are many other beautiful things. Currently, I am running them with a tiny hybrid amp from a Polish company called Taga - great warm sound and unbelievable value for money.

That said, I am coming from monster floor standing speakers which had a bass going down to 25 Hz (sounding even lower). Now, I do love sound of the HS but I can't help to want for a bit more substance in the lower frequency regions.

I have no experience with subs and so spent hours to read up on the subject. After (of course) stumbling over the usual suspects like REL and SVS and reading about marketing hype and a lot of "hot air", I resorted back to Dynaudio and found the Sub 6 which they market as the perfect match for their high-end shelves. Also, with matching presets available - sounds amazing. If only the price tag wasn't at 2.500 Eur here in Germany.

I am surprised that so few of you seem to run the HS with a sub. Actually, the only one I saw is @matro5 with a Sub 6. He seems to be happy with it. No one else with a sub?

Now I figured that the Sub 18s from the Pro Line is exactly the same as the Sub 6. Only difference is the finish, no cover and different presets. But it sells for almost half the price at 1.300 Eur. This seems to be great alternative since I don't plan to put the sub as an eye catcher in the middle of the room :)
Does anyone have experience with this model? Obviously, it should sound the same, I am just a bit worried about the setup (newbee)

Thanks again for pushing me over the edge - the HS will stay with me for the next decade, for sure.

Cheers, Stefan
Out of curiosity, have you experimented with "speaker placement" with Dhs ? One differentiator I found when evaluating wide range of speakers was actually the quality & quantity of bass that the Dhs puts out. Which suggests to me that perhaps "finer tuning" of the speakers could be helpful ?

If I may inquire, which Taga Amp are you using the Dhs with ? and what made you choose that Amp ?

Freshman1966

Out of curiosity, have you experimented with "speaker placement" with Dhs ? One differentiator I found when evaluating wide range of speakers was actually the quality & quantity of bass that the Dhs puts out. Which suggests to me that perhaps "finer tuning" of the speakers could be helpful ?

If I may inquire, which Taga Amp are you using the Dhs with ? and what made you choose that Amp ?
I am using the HTC-800 hybrid integrated amp. It has a tube pre-amp and a standard power amp with 2 x 75 W. I would never have found or tried them, but a friend is keeping them in stock suggested I should try it. It is very minimalistic concerning features but sound perfectly fine with the HS. That said, I will try the HTA 1000 one of the next weekends, just to see if a bit more power makes a difference on lower volumes.

I did experiment a lot with the position and I think I found a pretty good setup. Don't get me wrong - I am not at all disappointed with the bass performance of the HS. The opposite is true - I was completely amazed when I heard it the first time and still am.

Nevertheless, there is always room to improve :) And so I was wondering if a sub could contribute to the overall performance and especially dip down a bit lower than the HS can.

It's not an urgency by far - just testing the waters
Cheers, Stefan

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Thanks @watchnerd,
The specs look amazing and the finish for sure better suited for a living room than the 18s. You are using two because your room is so big or just because you can?
Cheers, Stefan

Well, big is relative between America and the rest of the world. My room is 35 square meters, the ceiling slopes from 3 meters to 3.7 meters, so a little high. But in terms of American living rooms, I would call that medium sized, not big.

But also, 2 subs are just generally superior when it comes to reducing bass resonance nodes in a room.

Freshman1966

Well, big is relative between America and the rest of the world. My room is 35 square meters, the ceiling slopes from 3 meters to 3.7 meters, so a little high. But in terms of American living rooms, I would call that medium sized, not big.

But also, 2 subs are just generally superior when it comes to reducing bass resonance nodes in a room.
For German standards that's fairly big :D And yes, I have read and heard that two subs are better than one but I guess I will try one for starters. Also a question of budget and the local government (my wife).

Thanks again.

Just added this subwoofer 12" to my heritage specials.

although I had some bad experiences with subwoofers, this sub integrates very well.

not just with movies, but also with music, I have it on always!

crossover very low, 40hz gives me a good result. I found this subwoofer (800 euro) because I read this forum, so it is a bargain for such a good sub. I think the other subs I tried were too small for my room.

Thanks for the advise folks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 125
Top Bottom