• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dynaudio Heritage Special

S-unny

Just added this subwoofer 12" to my heritage specials.

although I had some bad experiences with subwoofers, this sub integrates very well.

not just with movies, but also with music, I have it on always!

crossover very low, 40hz gives me a good result. I found this subwoofer (800 euro) because I read this forum, so it is a bargain for such a good sub. I think the other subs I tried were too small for my room.

Thanks for the advise folks!
I would like to report that my Dhs have taken a remarkable turn for the better, specially the sub performance. Initially it was a bit boomy, but now once I start the music I am unable to walk away ! the bass is now bit softer, tighter with a diffusive sense of weight to it without being soggy. It just fills the room remarkably well with presence & authority

My initial system was
bluesound node 2 streamer/dac --> NAD c298 power amp -->DHs speakers

The 1st change I made was to add an external DAC
bsn2 streamer --> denafrips Pontus ii dac --> NAD c298 ---> DHs ..... I now felt that bass had started softening a bit ie more controlled ie the boominess was gone

The 2nd change I made was to replace the amplifier
bsn2 --> Pontus ii --> Schiit Tyr mono blocks ---> Dhs ..... I now felt that the bass improved more. It had a superior quality, weight and strength w/o the boominess

The 3rd change I made was to add a Power conditioner {denafrips bic 500}.
I used a noise meter to test the conditioner & although I cannot measure a noticeable difference in noise reduction, the base is now again much improved !

S-unny

I would like to report that my Dhs have taken a remarkable turn for the better, specially the sub performance. Initially it was a bit boomy, but now once I start the music I am unable to walk away ! the bass is now bit softer, tighter with a diffusive sense of weight to it without being soggy. It just fills the room remarkably well with presence & authority

My initial system was

bsn2 streamer --> denafrips Pontus ii dac --> NAD c298 ---> DHs ..... I now felt that bass had started softening a bit ie more controlled ie the boominess was gone

bsn2 --> Pontus ii --> Schiit Tyr mono blocks ---> Dhs ..... I now felt that the bass improved more. It had a superior quality, weight and strength w/o the boominess

I used a noise meter to test the conditioner & although I cannot measure a noticeable difference in noise reduction, the base is now again much improved !
I forgot to include that I am also now using a Schiit Freya+ Preamp. The bsn2 is now primarily used as a streamer

JoetheLion

Forum Donor

My initial system was

Perhaps you would have been better off keeping the C 298 and trying a MiniDSP or a C 658 with Dirac. With this I got the bass wonderfully under control with my HS.

S-unny

Thank you for your suggestions. Which MiniDSP did you use ? I have been looking at the Schiit Lokius.

Perhaps I should have also explained better. The changes/upgrades I made to my system were not intentioned for the purpose of ameliorating the bass performance. The improvements I noticed were mere additional benefits I noticed. The bass response is a lot about room acoustics/modes and placement/separation of speakers and listeners plays a dominant role - this part I have left for a little later. My goal at present was to experiment and build a system of "separates" to more enhance the sound presentation of the Dhs.

Here is a list of dominant changes that I have noticed with the changes I made
- the sound stage has now become muchh wider
- there is increased spaciousness and separation between instruments ~ holographic
- i am hearing more & different sounds which I never knew existed in the recordings
- there is increased texture on the wind instruments
- the music is a lot less fatiguing on the ears
... and then there is the improved bass response

JoetheLion

Forum Donor
I use the NAD C 658, which is more or less a combination of a MiniDSP and Node 2i in terms of functionality. I am very satisfied with it. I'm afraid I wouldn't notice the differences you describe. Dirac is for me a significant improvement in the bass range, because the HS have to be pretty close to the wall in my house. With that said, I am very happy with the C 658 / C 298 and HS combination and couldn't imagine improving on that. I am 55 years old, which sets certain limits to my hearing.

S-unny

I use the NAD C 658, which is more or less a combination of a MiniDSP and Node 2i in terms of functionality. I am very satisfied with it. I'm afraid I wouldn't notice the differences you describe. Dirac is for me a significant improvement in the bass range, because the HS have to be pretty close to the wall in my house. With that said, I am very happy with the C 658 / C 298 and HS combination and couldn't imagine improving on that. I am 55 years old, which sets certain limits to my hearing.
I am pushing 54 as well, so I am right there with you. More than the fidelity/refinement of my hearing what I am noticing is that the spectral content being delivered has changed significantly ! I started this endeavor as a complete disbeliever and with a high dose of skepticism. I could not relate to sonic presentation/stage, etc and did not believe dedicated electronics could help any. A lot of equipment I sent back, because despite popular opinion I could note no difference. I am currently engaged in a healthy debate with Vinshine Audio about my purchase of the power conditioner BIC 500. My noise meter tests say not much is getting attenuated & yet the bass response has somehow distinctly improved. Overall, what motivates me to keep on searching is the love for Dhs & my belief that it is capable of so much more ... Here are a few things I tried

dacs
airport express --> blue sound node 2 --> topping d90se --> denafrips pontus ii
amps
bluesound powernode --> marantz pm7000n --> cambridge audio cxa81 --> nad c298 --> schiit tyr
streamer
bsn2 --> { lumin u2 mini } under consideration

Kindly pardon for suggesting, I would though encourage you to explore the Schiit Freya+ PreAmp. They have a quite reasonable 2 week return policy with a small restocking fee & shipping. I think the PreAmp mates well with Dhs. The F+ offers 3 output choices - It has a passive gain stage so your current system could cleanly pass through and set the benchmark. Then a differential buffer stage (which I am yet to fully explore) and lastly the tube stage ... the Dhs simply lights up with them. Audiophiles here in Scottsdale had discouraged me from ever exploring tubes, I am glad I didn't listen.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
My Schiit Freya+ has been relegated to a box in the garage for half a decade or more after it fritzed out in one of the passive channels.

YSC

Major Contributor
I am pushing 54 as well, so I am right there with you. More than the fidelity/refinement of my hearing what I am noticing is that the spectral content being delivered has changed significantly ! I started this endeavor as a complete disbeliever and with a high dose of skepticism. I could not relate to sonic presentation/stage, etc and did not believe dedicated electronics could help any. A lot of equipment I sent back, because despite popular opinion I could note no difference. I am currently engaged in a healthy debate with Vinshine Audio about my purchase of the power conditioner BIC 500. My noise meter tests say not much is getting attenuated & yet the bass response has somehow distinctly improved. Overall, what motivates me to keep on searching is the love for Dhs & my belief that it is capable of so much more ... Here are a few things I tried

dacs
airport express --> blue sound node 2 --> topping d90se --> denafrips pontus ii
amps
bluesound powernode --> marantz pm7000n --> cambridge audio cxa81 --> nad c298 --> schiit tyr
streamer
bsn2 --> { lumin u2 mini } under consideration

Kindly pardon for suggesting, I would though encourage you to explore the Schiit Freya+ PreAmp. They have a quite reasonable 2 week return policy with a small restocking fee & shipping. I think the PreAmp mates well with Dhs. The F+ offers 3 output choices - It has a passive gain stage so your current system could cleanly pass through and set the benchmark. Then a differential buffer stage (which I am yet to fully explore) and lastly the tube stage ... the Dhs simply lights up with them. Audiophiles here in Scottsdale had discouraged me from ever exploring tubes, I am glad I didn't listen.
In here I believe you will get some recognition if you could do pre and post measurement of the final speaker plots rather than just claiming nigh and day difference or improved bass… subjective improvement especially sighted ones don’t have a lot of market (if any) here

S-unny

In here I believe you will get some recognition if you could do pre and post measurement of the final speaker plots rather than just claiming nigh and day difference or improved bass… subjective improvement especially sighted ones don’t have a lot of market (if any) here
I like your suggestion. Could you point me to sources/links which can teach me about how to & what equipment is needed to make such measurements ?

YSC

Major Contributor
I like your suggestion. Could you point me to sources/links which can teach me about how to & what equipment is needed to make such measurements ?
for easy entry into this (which I am personally very entry level TBH), a UMIK 1 costing $79 USD

and using the free REW:

could get you some basic and easy way to do the measurement. ideally you would like to setup the mic and PC with your system and leave it there, run a few measurements pre and post any change in your system ( not moving around subs or main speaker or the mic to avoid changes in room acoustics), after that if anything is audible you should be able to find significant change in the FR/ distortion plots

S-unny

for easy entry into this (which I am personally very entry level TBH), a UMIK 1 costing $79 USD

and using the free REW:

could get you some basic and easy way to do the measurement. ideally you would like to setup the mic and PC with your system and leave it there, run a few measurements pre and post any change in your system ( not moving around subs or main speaker or the mic to avoid changes in room acoustics), after that if anything is audible you should be able to find significant change in the FR/ distortion plots
Ohh great thank :) this is wonderful feedback & a good start for me. Also, within this forum is there a section dedicated to measurements ? Perhaps that too could serve as a good startup primer for me to look at.

Need higher stands, looking at solidsteel ss-7

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 215

funklestar

Hi guys, recently upgraded my set-up to hifi rose ra180 / rs150 and also run a thorens 1601. Been using sonus faber cremona auditor m speakers.

I can’t listen to the heritage at home, but do you guys recon they will fly with the set-up or not? Alternatively looking at focal sopra 1, but the first hifi system I listened to (many years ago) was with dynaudio, and the feeling of bliss never really left.

Thanks and appreciate your answers.

Last edited:

michalis

Hello, I bought a Heritage Special, and I like it a lot. Here is my current setup:

Mac laptop running Roon -> optical Rendu on linear power -> Chord Hugo 2 through Nordost blue haven interconnects -> Musical fidelity m2si using audio quest q2 speaker cables -> and finally to Dynaudio HS on Isoakoustics Gaia III.

I like the Musical Fidelity for its tonality and synergy with the HS, but I wonder what a better amp can do. So I have put an order for a Gato amp 150. I will give an update when it arrives.

This is a transparent and balanced speaker with an exceptional rendition of vocals. I primarily listen to acoustic music, jazz, vocals, and classical. The DS is a joy to listen to, and it is also part of my home theater setup. It doesn't have the most impressive soundstage, but a better amp or DAC will probably help. I am primarily a headphones guy, and Focal Utopia is my best headphone. Yet, I prefer listening to the HS most of the time now.

Lavawood

Forum Donor
Finally!
The universe has provided from the most unlikely source!

Attachments

• 74055371-2C52-4FDB-8437-9E15FF17405E.jpeg
    74055371-2C52-4FDB-8437-9E15FF17405E.jpeg
    590.6 KB · Views: 249
  • 3F68D408-7FF5-43DD-BA82-65246E3592C1.jpeg
    3F68D408-7FF5-43DD-BA82-65246E3592C1.jpeg
    345.6 KB · Views: 258
  • 7956704D-6C41-44E6-87F2-49E551F5134C.jpeg
    7956704D-6C41-44E6-87F2-49E551F5134C.jpeg
    371.7 KB · Views: 249
  • 40E7937F-314A-4C40-B4FB-CFD50D356BF3.jpeg
    40E7937F-314A-4C40-B4FB-CFD50D356BF3.jpeg
    289.9 KB · Views: 240
  • A73F49EF-9E02-48E6-84AF-6CBA82EF8CFE.jpeg
    A73F49EF-9E02-48E6-84AF-6CBA82EF8CFE.jpeg
    317.7 KB · Views: 236

lukjon

I am deciding on an integrated amp for my Heritage Special. I currently use a Naim Nait 5si. I want an integrated that is analogue and has no DAC. I don’t need phono. I don’t change electronics often so hope to get something that would be with me for 10 years or more.

My choices are:
- Rega Aethos
- Naim Supernait 3
- Luxman 550/507
- Accuphase E280
- Yamaha AS-3200

I have a budget of $7000 Cdn ($5500 Usd). Some of these choices I am looking to buy used, since as new they would be over my budget.

I would like something that has a natural tone. I like to be drawn into the music. Accuracy of sound is important. Same with details. I like a slightly warmer sound. I listen to immerse in music rather than analyze it. I listen to classical and instrumental, vocals, house, and acoustic. With classical, I would like something that allows a sense of space and separation between instruments, and can handle the complex arrangement of sound.

I like the looks of the Yamaha AS-3200 the most. My preference is that one and the Luxman L-507uxii.

Last edited:

muad

This is the most interesting thread on ASR. It's 33 pages long, with the vast majority of it being subjective, and somehow it persists.

If you want subjectivist amp recommendations, you're in the wrong spot. Head over to audiogon. You will likely find what you're looking for there.

Fahrradfahrer

Hi all, here is another member of a Dyn Heritage. Got more or less two 2 questions:

1) Which amplifiers you´re using currently? Did you tried few amplifiers until you found the right one for the Heritage?

2) Got currently the AVM CS 2.3 (Class D). Thinking about to buy the Krell K-300i, which is pretty hyped in this forum. Unfortunately it looks like nobody is using this combination? When both (Heritage + Krell) get together, the sound could may be to warm? What do you think?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you tried few amplifiers until you found the right one for the Heritage?
A good amplifier has no added sound. It does not make a extra sound. It is like wire with gain. Now that I have that out of the way colored amplifiers can be good but using a amplifier to change the sound is not the way to build a audio system.
2) Got currently the AVM CS 2.3 (Class D). Thinking about to buy the Krell K-300i, which is pretty hyped in this forum. Unfortunately it looks like nobody is using this combination? When both (Heritage + Krell) get together, the sound could may be to warm? What do you think?
Too warm is a sign that the amp is coloring the sound.

Top Bottom