• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dynaudio Heritage Special

matro5

So the setup of Devialet SAM + 2 x ML subwoofers is enough oomph to do a pretty good job of making the speakers sound bigger than they are.

I have my HS paired up with a Lyngdorf 3400 running Room Perfect and a Dynaudio Sub 6 and am amazed at how big these little monitors can sound. Couldn't be happier.

net-david

I just got pair #800! I'll be using Roon to a miniDSP SHD to a pair of Bryston 7B SST. Probably use an SVS 3000 Mini sub temporarily.

2021-10-07 12.20.58.jpg

Attachments

• 2021-10-07 12.20.58.jpg
    2021-10-07 12.20.58.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 55

matro5

I just got pair #800! I'll be using Roon to a miniDSP SHD to a pair of Bryston 7B SST. Probably use an SVS 3000 Mini sub temporarily.
Congrats on your new speakers! Can you share what led you to the Heritage Specials and how they're doing in your space? I'm absolutely thrilled with my pair, so much so that I don't spend any time on audio fora anymore :) but I'd love to hear what you think of your new speakers and, of course, see pictures!

Enjoy!

My impressions after 3 months in living room 5x9 meters and purifi power amp and topping d90se dac:
very very wide and holographic soundstage
Living-room filling bass and no need for sub in my opinion, but I don’t like subwoofer’s generally…..
buttery smooth sound, can play pretty loud 100db without distorting
very Realistic sound, sparkling highs when necessary, extremely good tweeter
absolutely no listening fatigue
sounds good with low volume, very important
High WAF

these are really high quality small speakers and the best way to describe them is a quality headphone sound. and I mean that in a good way. Instruments can really stand out, so realistic and holographic.

with movies they are superb for my taste btw

positioning needs to be done with care

still impressed with these little monitor speakers!

net-david

Congrats on your new speakers! Can you share what led you to the Heritage Specials and how they're doing in your space? I'm absolutely thrilled with my pair, so much so that I don't spend any time on audio fora anymore :) but I'd love to hear what you think of your new speakers and, of course, see pictures!

Enjoy!
Thanks @matro5. I've admired Dynaudio since the late '80's when I was first exposed to their drivers while working at Hi Fi Sales & Service (later Oade Brothers Audio), Doug Oade designed and built some great speakers using Dynadio drivers. I've had Dynaudio pro monitors on my desk at home for years, currently have BM15A with an RME ADI-2 DAC.

I have another system that plays very loud (McIntosh C47, miniDSP DDRC-88A, Mac MC275 and MC312 biamping Klipsch Heresy III, four SVS SB-3000 subs) but doesn't play well at low levels.

I was also drawn by the limited edition of the HS, the vintage cosmetics, and the top of the line drivers.

I managed to get them unboxed last night, ballasted the stands with #8 lead shot, and played a couple of songs using an NAD D3020 integrated. Initial impressions are they sound great, pleasantly surprised at their bass ability.

I'll get the SHD and Bryston monoblocks hooked up this evening.

matro5

I was also drawn by the limited edition of the HS, the vintage cosmetics, and the top of the line drivers.
Yep. Same here. As a longtime fan of Dynaudio ( and very happy owner of the Focus 160s ) the Heritage just ticked all of the right boxes for me in a limited edition, endgame sort of bookshelf. The old-school look and the chance to have an Evidence level woofer, a la the Special 25 I missed all those years ago, was too much for me to resist.

net-david

I don't think I've seen impedance curves posted, and I think someone was asking about them, so here's my pair.

Attachments

• HS pair 800 left.JPG
    HS pair 800 left.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 337
  • HS pair 800 right.JPG
    HS pair 800 right.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 348

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't think I've seen impedance curves posted, and I think someone was asking about them, so here's my pair.

Oh nice!! They are hardly 4 ohms speakers.....This will make them easier to drive on most amps.

djd828

Stupid question but I will ask anyway. I bought the HS speakers with the Stand 20 with the adapter plate last weekend and put everything in place today. For those that have the Stand 20 with the adapter plate:

I noticed the stock plate comes with rubber bumpers but the adapter plate does not. Do you mount your speakers directly on the adapter plate without using bumpers? If so, do you screw them to the stands using the holes on the bottom of the stands?

Also, which screws do you use? The plates themselves don’t come with screws but I have silver ones left over from the stands.

Was it difficult to line up the speaker holes with the ones on the stands?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I’m a bit nervous about damaging a 7k pair of speakers.

Best,
Dave

YSC

Major Contributor
Stupid question but I will ask anyway. I bought the HS speakers with the Stand 20 with the adapter plate last weekend and put everything in place today. For those that have the Stand 20 with the adapter plate:

I noticed the stock plate comes with rubber bumpers but the adapter plate does not. Do you mount your speakers directly on the adapter plate without using bumpers? If so, do you screw them to the stands using the holes on the bottom of the stands?

Also, which screws do you use? The plates themselves don’t come with screws but I have silver ones left over from the stands.

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I’m a bit nervous about damaging a 7k pair of speakers.

Best,
Dave
that only can be answered by fellow owners of both... but maybe asking Dynaudio support line is better? it sounds to me a 7k pair of speaker with a not cheap adapter don't even include screws are pretty crazy

net-david

Best,
Dave
Mine came with screws with the adapter plates, seems like I didn't see them at first, check the packing materials well.

My plates are directly in contact with the bottom of the speaker cabinets, I considered some cushioning washers in between, but thought if they were needed Dynaudio would have specified them.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I originally bought the Special 40's but due to a snafu in which I never received them, I upgraded to the Heritage. Mine arrive in two days and will be hooked up to a Luxman 505UXii via Canare 4s11 speake wires. Also have a Rega P3, a Bluesound Node (the new one). Looking forward to hearing them even though I never auditioned them...hope they live up to the hype.
I'm pretty sure I'll feel the need for a sub. I have an old Boston Acoutics vr-500 which is a great little 10" sub but not sure it's up to the level of my new equipment. Looking at a REL next.

I have the exact same speaker wires and am shopping for a good deal on a Luxman L-590AXII.

How do you find the pairing of the Heritage Specials and the Luxman L-505UXII?

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Do you mount your speakers directly on the adapter plate without using bumpers? If so, do you screw them to the stands using the holes on the bottom of the stands?

Yep, that's what I did.

The screws were provided -- it's been a few months, so I don't remember if they were with the stands or the adapter plate.

But I didn't buy any after market screws.

PuX

Does Heritage Special have mounting holes on the bottom?
I know older models had direct mounting to stands - I have Contour S1.4 mounted this way on Stand 2 and I think Confidence C1 supports the same thing with Stand 4.
But I don't think Special 25 supported direct mounting.

Maybe there's photo or a mounting manual somewhere?

Also, is the adapter plate actually very different to the standard one of the Stand 20?

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Does Heritage Special have mounting holes on the bottom?
I know older models had direct mounting to stands - I have Contour S1.4 mounted this way on Stand 2 and I think Confidence C1 supports the same thing with Stand 4.
But I don't think Special 25 supported direct mounting.

Maybe there's photo or a mounting manual somewhere?

Also, is the adapter plate actually very different to the standard one of the Stand 20?

Yes, it has holes on the bottom

The adapter plate has dimensions that match the HS.

S-unny

I'd love to hear one in person to see how it compares to my slightly bigger Contour 20.

$6000 / pair if I want those retro looks.
From where may i look into purchasing these at 6k/pair ? I am based in Scottsdale, Az and there is a store here "dedicatedaudio" which carries them, but asking 7500/pair w/ stands + taxes ! thankyou

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
From where may i look into purchasing these at 6k/pair ? I am based in Scottsdale, Az and there is a store here "dedicatedaudio" which carries them, but asking 7500/pair w/ stands + taxes ! thankyou

Yep, the price when up compared to when it was first announced.

It was 7k list by the time I bought mine.

S-unny

Thankyou for your response. I found an online retailer "safeandsoundhq.com" which is still offering them for 7k with stands. Are you guys familiar with this retailer ? I am new to this area and have never worked with them before. Would appreciate your inputs & possibly other suggestions of other retailers who may carry these speakers. Thanks again.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Thankyou for your response. I found an online retailer "safeandsoundhq.com" which is still offering them for 7k with stands. Are you guys familiar with this retailer ? I am new to this area and have never worked with them before. Would appreciate your inputs & possibly other suggestions of other retailers who may carry these speakers. Thanks again.

Not familiar with them, sorry.

Top Bottom