• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dynaudio Heritage Special

Robmoores1

I've developed an OCD habit now of putting the grills on after each listening session, and then pulling them off again for listening, because I'm worried about that expensive tweeter and fantasize that the cloth + grill frame actually provides a modicum of protection.

At least more than no grill, right?

I always leave the grills on mine 24/7 for the same reason as you. I have two cats and 3 clumsy children and so rather than taking them on and off (or forgetting which would the day they get damaged) I just leave them in place.

Losing 2% of the performance is worth the peace of mind for me.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I always leave the grills on mine 24/7 for the same reason as you. I have two cats and 3 clumsy children and so rather than taking them on and off (or forgetting which would the day they get damaged) I just leave them in place.

Losing 2% of the performance is worth the peace of mind for me.

We have 3 cats and a clumsy housekeeper.

I've lost..I dunno...3 cartridges, probably, to the dreaded turntable dusting.

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
We have 3 cats and a clumsy housekeeper.

I've lost..I dunno...3 cartridges, probably, to the dreaded turntable dusting.

I lost a cartridge this way, fortunately nothing fancy. I didn't have a dust cover then. I bought one, and it hasn't happened again.

RobS

Forum Donor
I'm going to post something that may sound like addle-brained reefer madness:

These speakers need about 3-5 minutes to warm up if they've been cold for a while.

In theory, I suppose all speakers have a time period to get to intended operating temperature, but it's more noticeable with the Heritage Specials than any other speaker I've owned.

Maybe it's because of the big fat 75 mm voice coil on the woofer?

I thought I was crazy, but it's actually mentioned in the user manual, although I don't think it's specific to the Heritage Special.

"a couple of minutes before every listening session will be helpful to “warm up” the loudspeakers."

I just got my pair today.

Have it hooked up with the Benchmark AHB2 and DAC3.

I think you are right about the "warm-up". Because right out of the box, music sounded slow and the higher frequencies were reaching my ear sooner than the rest of the audio band.

Bass is very, very interesting with this speaker. I can see this as a polarizing attribute. It reminds me a lot like a sealed speaker, has the tightness, speed, detail with the trade-off that you don't get so much of the body that would lend to pressurizing the space the listener is in. You can clearly hear the strings and different notes, which was a lot harder on the SP40 as it was a bit indistinct and a bit too mid-bassy for my tastes.

Robmoores1

I just got my pair today.

Have it hooked up with the Benchmark AHB2 and DAC3.

I think you are right about the "warm-up". Because right out of the box, music sounded slow and the higher frequencies were reaching my ear sooner than the rest of the audio band.

Bass is very, very interesting with this speaker. I can see this as a polarizing attribute. It reminds me a lot like a sealed speaker, has the tightness, speed, detail with the trade-off that you don't get so much of the body that would lend to pressurizing the space the listener is in. You can clearly hear the strings and different notes, which was a lot harder on the SP40 as it was a bit indistinct and a bit too mid-bassy for my tastes.

In my experience you need to give them a good 200 hours before they start to perform at their best. I know many will disagree with this and it may be simply your ear/brain becoming attuned but it did make a big difference for me.

noobie1

For those who have received their pair, would these speakers perform well in an open concept living room that is about 17 ft by 17 ft with vaulted ceilings (15 ft at peak)?

atomek

Disagree, at least sonically. The class D amps will sound better at higher volumes than the Benchmark, and they will sound 100% the same at any level lower than that. That makes the Class D amps better sonically, imo.

Fully agree with this, I've just created account to comment on this. I went through quite o lot of amps trying to find best match for my S25 until I've got opportunity to listen them with Tact Millenium, then with Lyngdorf Millenium Mk4. This is truly amazing match, Lyngdorf they say is even more "digital" than class D (more like DAC with huge power), and the sound and music is really flawless, very detailed, but not fatiguing, with great vocal clarity and tone. I was shocked how much I've missed from recordings before. I've heard also TDAI, but to they are not as good as Millenniums (unfortunately discontinued).

I was reading through the thread wondering what are opinions on Heritage vs S25 / C20.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I was reading through the thread wondering what are opinions on Heritage vs S25 / C20.

If you read upthread, there is commentary comparing to Contour 20.

(Which I upgraded from)

Special 25 is compared in one of the German hi fi reviews.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Here is the SAM profile page for the Heritage Special:

https://www.devialet.com/en-gb/expert-pro-sam-ready-speakers/dynaudio/heritage_special/

So not quite as deep as what was claimed for the Contour 20:

https://www.devialet.com/en-gb/expert-pro-sam-ready-speakers/dynaudio/contour-20-open-port/

But a *big* difference in the woofer displacement numbers between the two.

SAM'ed HS: 3.4 mm
SAM'ed C20: 8 mm

I guess this is just highlighting that the Contour 20 is part of the outside magnet / long-excursion family and the Heritage special is in the inside magnet / less-excursion design?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But a *big* difference in the woofer displacement numbers between the two.

SAM'ed HS: 3.4 mm
SAM'ed C20: 8 mm

I guess this is just highlighting that the Contour 20 is part of the outside magnet / long-excursion family and the Heritage special is in the inside magnet / less-excursion design?
Those numbers puzzle me across several speakers, that 8mm is very large for a two way speaker, but I've seen discrepancies where identical drivers in smaller boxes get more displacement then bigger boxes. I assume they are measuring distortion going above some limit to determine it.

Do you think SAM helps when crossed over to subs?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because the port is behind, perhaps?

eyes-on-you

Is there any measurements? Dynaudio don’t share any technical documents like whitepaper.

Actually, this is the most subjective thread on this forum. I feel like i’m in a Stereophile.

I also have to say that, the tone on youtube videos is unrealistic. Maybe live listening makes a difference.

Still enjoy it.

Top Bottom